Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting statistics on deer rifles

Default Re: Interesting statistics on deer rifles

The standard magazines on AR style rifles exceed the round limit for hunting in VT. Our neighbors seem to favor .270 and .30 caliber bolt action guns

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    The standard magazines on AR style rifles exceed the round limit for hunting in VT. Our neighbors seem to favor .270 and .30 caliber bolt action guns

I’m sure there’s a plug or insert or some way to limit capacity of a AR. Most semi auto and pump shotguns can carry 4 in the magazine and one in the chamber , so for migratory water fowl , to legally hunt , (YMMV , Use no Hooks ), you need to put a plug , basically a wood dowel , into the magazine to limit the shotgun to three rounds.

My M1903 Mannlicher-Schönauer in 6.5x54 M.Sch. With an internal 5-round rotary magazine (charged with stripper clips, if I ever manage to find some). Loaded with bronze solids, it had a certain vogue amongst elephant hunters in the 1920. It does OK.

Mannlicher-Schönauer M1903 Carbine by Nicholas Carey, on Flickr
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I think folks using black powder are also more likely to be practiced & therefore better shots. Rifle season in VT brings out the guys who shoot guns for 2 weeks out of the year.

I think Rich is referring to hunting with assault-style guns.
    I made a 45 calibre muzzle loader from kit, browned the barrel in my oven. I'm not or never was a great shot but resting the barrel on a sand bag at 100 yards I am able to put three shots in a silver dollar-sized circle. It's, I think, due more to the rifle than me. A hunter with a muzzle loader who shoots more than I could probably drop a deer with one shot and without the sandbag anchor.

Having more shots doesn't mean you can or will use them. Certainly take care with your shot is job one, but, as in all endeavors, stuff happens. A second shot to put down a cripple isnt a bad thing to have in reserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/cate...cksAscend&cx=0
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    ..primitive weapons season...
    In Ohio, Primitive Weapons Season is popular because it extends the regular season and also helps with thinning the herd on certain state lands which have no other season. You haven't lived until you've taken a buck with a mace or a shellelagh. When I lived there, there was some discussion of an unarmed 'hand-to-horn' season.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    They have very dextrous tongues.
    And lips maybe, like a goat?
    When I had goats they could unlatch any gate and shoot any bolt action rifle, no problems.

Big correction needed here! Sure, Military Muskets usually had smooth bores, however, the famed "Kentucky Rifle" or "Tennessee Rifle", or "Pennsylvania Rifle", depending on which State the muzzle loading flintlock marksman shooter was standing in, existed BEFORE many smooth bore muskets, and were noted to be VERY accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I was reading a report in the paper this morning on the recent deer hunting season here in Vermont.
    7400 deer shot with a rifle. 6000 shot with muzzleloader rifles.
    Modern muzzleloaders are a lot different then an old musket. They have rifled barrels and who knows what else that make them just as accurate of a regular rifle. But, the fact is, they are a one shot and you are done weapon. If you miss your target, the deer is long gone by the time you reload. But these guys are just as successful of the semi-automatic rifle bunch.

So, why have semi-automatic rifles if the stats are roughly the same? One shot out of each and the deer is either dead/wounded or long gone into the woods.
    Granted, some hunters might still be hunting with bolt action rifles, but I tend to doubt it.
    Even with semi-automatics, hunting laws in Vermont limit a hunter with a 5 round clip.
    I'm just curious as to why hunters have to wander around in
    the woods with a tricked out semi-automatic when a bolt action or single shot gun is just as efficient.

Model 1894 Winchester .30-.30 for me, IF I was a hunter. Classic.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

It should be easy for one to understand how "rifled" gun barrels for flintlocks were much more time-consuming and therefore expensive to fabricate than "smoothbore" barrels. Not giving infantry troops the very best in weapons is not a new practice at all. The folks counting the beans are never doing the fighting.

The 94's reputation as the one-time top choice for deer hunting is well deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Model 1894 Winchester .30-.30 for me, IF I was a hunter. Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by cut3times View Post
    Bolt action or slide action rifles and shotguns are very common for deer hunting here in WI. My sons were taught that if you don't think you can drop the deer with one shot don't shoot.
    I shot first with a Browning semi auto but it does nothing for accuracy,,next came bolt and then Martini,MUCH better.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    In most of the Midwest (Ohio, Indiana, llpinois, loser Michigan...), deer hunting with rifles is prohibited. Too many friendly fire incidents over the years.

12-ga shotgun with slug or buckshot only. Or bow or muzzle loader during primitive weapons season... I suspect atlatl+javelin is legal too.
    That must take a lot more skill in getting nearer to your target. Shotguns, I suppose, have a much shorter range and not as accurate as a rifle.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    That must take a lot more skill in getting nearer to your target. Shotguns, I suppose, have a much shorter range and not as accurate as a rifle.
    Slug barrel shotgun may be good to at most 75 yards, a rifle , depending on the shooter could go 200 > 300 yards.

I like to think so ! My deer have all been shot under 25 yards , I’m sneaky !

BUT much of it is terrain related.

Hunting on Whidbey Island is small lots of wood, thick brush , limited visibility. Eastern Washington , Montana , Idaho big open country where you can shoot across a draw to a hill side 200 > 300 yards away is different.

I like to think so ! My deer have all been shot under 25 yards , I’m sneaky !
    Sort of moot. If you are shooting in woods, the chances of a shot at a whitetail beyond 50 or 60 yards really diminished in most instances. Too many twigs and branches in the way.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Nah, Savage 99 in 25/3000, 300 or 303 Savage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    The 94's reputation as the one-time top choice for deer hunting is well deserved.
    Xanthorrea

Used to be, you could hear the guy with a semi-auto; "Bang..... bang-bang-bang-bang."

Semis used to be a rarity, and no they are not needed, the first shot is the most important, after that you have to be an expert at Olympic-running-boar to hit a deer on the run at distance. But, someone who owns few rifles, the same one for match competition, security, and hunting, a semi works, if not ideal for any of the above.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Nah, Savage 99 in 25/3000, 300 or 303 Savage.

My brother's favorite. Nice. Short throw, too.

My dad like his Marlin 444 Magnum. Bit overkill for deer, though. A marlin 1894 in .44-40 is more than sufficient. My uncle has a Marlin lever action that belonged to his [great?] grandfather. Can't remember the model, but the barrel is round at the breech and transitions to octagon.

I have lust for that rifle., though I suspect that finding fodder for it might be... difficult. It's chambered for .30 Rimfire.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)