Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is the age of the dslr over?

Default is the age of the dslr over?

canon and nikon both go full proline full frame mirrorless. . .

CanonEOSR-new01.jpeg

NikonZ7review.jpeg
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: is the age of the dslr over?

I like my P1000 - but it's a crappy small sensor - not at all good in low light conditions, except for the moon mode. It's good to see them start to take this technology seriously
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Jeeze, I still have a bunch of slr's of various formats in my camera cases...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

No. But 4/3 make a lot of sense. It will bite into DSLR market share. Existing lens inventory will keep DSLR alive for some time.

In Nikonís and Canonís respective cases, their existing dslr and fmount lens are fully compatible with their ne w cameras.

I've been saying this for some time.

Sprog #2 replace his DSLR with a high end Fuji mirrorless, and it is an unalloyed delight to handle - the flexibility of the EVF (built in zoom and dioptre correction) being fit for special mention.

P.S. The low light performance of the new Pixel 3 is a real eye opener.

P.P.S. - his latest camera is a Zeiss pocketable medium format job - just for giggles.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post

P.P.S. - his latest camera is a Zeiss pocketable medium format job - just for giggles.
    pocketable medium format?

My momís Samsung Note something or another died itís final death this week. Iím ordering her a Pixel3 replacement today.

A true mirrorless. Plus, she gets Childish Gambino. Deal.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

As a practical matter Sony started it. As an aside the A7III was being sold for $1300 during the holidays. I would have bought one but all my glass is Canon which points me towards the R.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    As a practical matter Sony started it.
    you forget panasonic/lumix and olympus and their 4/3 format. . .

they pretty much invented mirrorless digital

A hijack- any thoughts on studio lighting?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    pocketable medium format?

Add the period exposure meter and the matching non-coupled range finder for bonus points

ah...

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post

Add the period exposure meter and the matching non-coupled range finder for bonus points
    Is that a 6 x 9 format Zeiss ? I took photos with one, less exposure meter etc. and was amazed with the results. It had belonged to my fil and surfaced on his demise.

My wife and sil parted with it for a pittance thinking it was junk !

It's a 6x6 - there is a very very similar 6x9

The 6x6 has a 75mm focal length, the 6x9 a 105mm
    Last edited by P.I. Stazzer-Newt; 02-09-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    canon and nikon both go full proline full frame mirrorless. . .

CanonEOSR-new01.jpeg

NikonZ7review.jpeg
    A lot of gun for a Facebook poster. Nice auto settings.

these camera really need the new lens. Lenses are everything. 4/3 formats are nice but then again it comes down to lens.
    i am sitting on several generation Nikon lenses and adapters. I rent according to need like any other smart photographer who uses a tool less than handful times a year. I also rent the new lenses that match up despite the dozens of primes I have. Maybe if I was a wedding photographer I’d buy a new camera. Since I am not, I still put my last generation Nikon against this for 98 percent of the photography this camera delivers.

ownership of these cameras are lost on me and most other people. DSLR camera that can’t shoot jello free video is another dust collector.
    i am just a clown and the world is a joke.

I have an older Nikon D90. It's been a great camera but the mirror is getting a bit clunky with age. I also have a nice little Nikon "Coolpix AW130" that takes pictures within 90% of the D90 with less set up, fits in my pocket, and is waterproof. It's the camera I use most of the time unless I really need to take some good pictures.

I really think it is time for DSLR to die, the new ones you are showing me here are simpler, have far less moving parts to break, and probably still take excellent pics.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

For when Paul takes Kat on the $100,000 safari. Best part about the camera is that it is green in color. retails for $8400

Leica M10-P Specs

Imaging
    Lens Mount Leica M
    Camera Format Full-Frame
    Pixels 24 Megapixel
    Max Resolution 5976 x 3992
    Aspect Ratio 3:2
    Sensor Type / Size CMOS, 24 x 36 mm
    File Formats Still Images: DNG, JPEG
    Memory Card Type SD
    SDHC
    SDXC

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    A lot of gun for a Facebook poster. Nice auto settings.

these camera really need the new lens. Lenses are everything. 4/3 formats are nice but then again it comes down to lens.
    i am sitting on several generation Nikon lenses and adapters. I rent according to need like any other smart photographer who uses a tool less than handful times a year. I also rent the new lenses that match up despite the dozens of primes I have. Maybe if I was a wedding photographer Iíd buy a new camera. Since I am not, I still put my last generation Nikon against this for 98 percent of the photography this camera delivers.

ownership of these cameras are lost on me and most other people. DSLR camera that canít shoot jello free video is another dust collector.
    Man, I haven't been to a rental house in a minute. Last time I rented a camera, it was for D2.

Peace,
    Out Of Touch

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Man, I haven't been to a rental house in a minute. Last time I rented a camera, it was for D2.

Peace,
    Out Of Touch
    The d2 is still great.

I'd be still be using my Nikon d50 if the repair guy didn't steal it. This "entry-level" Nikon DSLR had the autofocus motor ('screw drive') built into the camera body, making the camera backwards-compatible with mechanical-drive autofocus lenses (Nikkor AF series) dating back to 1989. This feature has been eliminated from all nikons since and screwed me out of using older lenses as they were designed. The camera was so far ahead that Nikon has to kill it. It shoots with very little noise and contrast - image wise close to d2 and even d3 despite its 6.1meg pixel rating. In the menu features had all sorts of hidden treasures that were not promoted once production was backed off.. Those same features became selling points to the $3000 plus cameras that followed.

"A hijack- any thoughts on studio lighting? " - George Jung

George, what specifically did you wish to discuss about studio lighting?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Looking for a ‘gift’ for daughter who is artist/ photographer/does image manipulation. Favors stick shots but ‘locked out’ of college studio since graduation. She was familiar with their lighting- Super cool-lite 9 Mk II- but looks obsolete from what I’ve read. Looking for ‘guidance’

What I want is a camera with a large square sensor - the digital equivalent of a twin-lens reflex. Sort of like this... but maybe w/o the $50,000 price tag for the body.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...um_format.html

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    For when Paul takes Kat on the $100,000 safari. Best part about the camera is that it is green in color. retails for $8400

Leica M10-P Specs

Imaging
    Lens Mount Leica M
    Camera Format Full-Frame
    Pixels 24 Megapixel
    Max Resolution 5976 x 3992
    Aspect Ratio 3:2
    Sensor Type / Size CMOS, 24 x 36 mm
    File Formats Still Images: DNG, JPEG
    Memory Card Type SD
    SDHC
    SDXC

I believe Pless has the Fuji x100f, maybe others, rangefinder that actually compares well with the Leica and at a more modest price.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Looking for a ‘gift’ for daughter who is artist/ photographer/does image manipulation. Favors stick shots but ‘locked out’ of college studio since graduation. She was familiar with their lighting- Super cool-lite 9 Mk II- but looks obsolete from what I’ve read. Looking for ‘guidance’
    take a look at the Olympus OMD Em10 Mark ii a mirrorless 4/3 frame cameras. The camera has some really great features in the menu that make it better than a Nikon or a Canon at twice the price. Try A 25 and a 45mm lens. Buy the camera from B&H and give it a 30 day serious whirl. A small light kit and laptop with adobe tools and she will be off creating.

Anything she need more than that she can rent or collaborate with like minded.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 02-09-2019 at 11:36 PM.

She’s pretty well set for camera- D800. I know there’s lots of ways to do the lighting- but have virtually no experience other than watching her a bit. And her exposure was primarily at school. Not sure how much community she’s found outside of school. I did find this:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...customerReview
    good reviews and pricey. Looking for recommendations. Thnx

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I have the first version of the Olympus OM-D E-M10. My only real complaint is that it sometimes focuses on the wrong thing. The MarkII might do better. I mostly use the kit zooms of a 14-42 and a 40-150. I do also have a 25mm f/1.8 and a 45 f/1.8 and a 60 f/2.8 Macro. The 25mm is a Panasonic Lumix, which was much cheaper than the Olympus version. I really like the small size of the camera and lenses. I also have adapters which allow me to use my manual focus Nikkor and Minolta Lenses.

I remain happy with my Pentax K20D with excellent weather sealing (TRY TASMANIA IN MID WINTER or the Tanami Desert and Arnhem Land)! Legacy lenses and in body focus. Missis has a mini with Leica zoom. Does for our purposes.
    Xanthorrea

The first, last, and only SLR I have bought is a Nikon F. Not F2, F3, F4, F5, or F6. F. Plus a mint FM2 a guy at work was selling cheap. Made of real metal, not plastic. I have a plethora of non-AI lenses for it. But film and processing is expensive. I bought a cheap point and shoot 2k digital in '99 or '00, served me well and still have it. I print photos for free at the library, a color laser, I am guessing that is either the largess of the taxpayers or Microsoft or both, up to 70 pages a week black and white or 1/3 that in color. I'd love a nice new camera, but can't justify the cost. I'm amazed at the pictures my friends and relatives get from their phones, truly stunning.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    She’s pretty well set for camera- D800. I know there’s lots of ways to do the lighting- but have virtually no experience other than watching her a bit. And her exposure was primarily at school. Not sure how much community she’s found outside of school. I did find this:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...customerReview
    good reviews and pricey. Looking for recommendations. Thnx
    Those are nice although may be missing a true key. If she sets up a studio or goes mobile - she’ll need sandbags. A light that falls over is often a light get lost. Being made thin sucks. I often use a Fiilex pro kit when I travel. I love my soft boxes and barn doors. Having cookies really are the Shisnick as are proper filters. Get one with the pelican case with wheel - it makes a difference especially when moving it around. More likely less of dropping. I also carry a key kit which round out the system. I long have shelved my tota and arri 650 kits.

A studio tripod with a quality head is often one of one of the most neglected aspects of locked down shooting.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 02-10-2019 at 12:57 AM.

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 2 with a Panasonic LUMIX 20mm 1.7 is my recommended entry level 4/3s camera. I’ve been using it for almost 3 years. I think it may be the best bang in 4/3s world. I think there is a Mark 3 now but don’t know about it’s features. When I first got it I used an old om1 lens in manual mode. I also took a photo of Em10 next to my Nikon F2. It’s sort of a mini F2. And

Someone mentioned a focus location issue on the Olympus. If you are experiencing this, you need to reset the focus area and learn how to select any viewfinder area to focus on. My only complaint of OmD is the user interface. It’s a bit wonky and unfriendly compared to the various LUMIX I had used for a decade before getting this one.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

This was taken with a shutter speed of 1/100 sec with the 45mm at f/1.8. I know how to select an area on the touchscreen, but think the camera should do better of its own. The Mark II version might do better. Heather and Dan are out of focus, but guitars on wall behind them in focus. This mostly seems to happen in low light. I do have the Fn2 button set for manual focus, but wasn't using it here.

Heather Dan unfocus.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    This was taken with a shutter speed of 1/100 sec with the 45mm at f/1.8. I know how to select an area on the touchscreen, but think the camera should do better of its own. The Mark II version might do better. Heather and Dan are out of focus, but guitars on wall behind them in focus. This mostly seems to happen in low light. I do have the Fn2 button set for manual focus, but wasn't using it here.

Heather Dan unfocus.jpg
    I still like to manually focus. The computer inside the camera is tricking you with the fast glass auto focus. Next time for giggles before the set - shoot up a little in f stop and try 1/60th then go the other way. take a look and then decide. too many people forget to do their tests before hand (legacy from when we were cheap and used film). also due to being handheld - multi axis stabilization messes with fore and backgrounds. A prime lens could help in that regard as would a patterned gray card check.