Thread: Lindsey Buckingham Undergoes Open Heart Surgery

Default Lindsey Buckingham Undergoes Open Heart Surgery

He survived the procedure, but his vocal cords are damaged.

AP
    Last edited by Donn; 02-09-2019 at 08:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Lindsey Buckingham Undergoes Open Heart Surgery

Hope he heals.
    One of the best guitar players ever, BTW, IMHO.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Interesting. When Regine had open heart surgery, they also did some ablation to treat an arrhythmia issue (big words, I always have to look them up) at the same time.

They can use heat or a freezing technique to create the scar tissues that block the errant electrical signals. One those techniques, or perhaps both, I forget, can cause damage to the nerve which runs down to the diaphragm. It can take months for that to correct itself.

Anyhow, it didn't happen to Regine, but I wonder if that's what happened to Lindsey? They said vocal chords, but a issue with his diaphragm could affect his singing.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

They discovered that my grandfather had an aneurism on his aorta when he was 91. They did surgery to splice in 6 inches of Dacron to replace the damaged section. He came through the surgery just fine ...

Except for the damaged nerve that lost for him the ability to swallow.

Spent the next 3 years in a nursing home with a feeding tube in his abdomen ... getting bed sores and one staph infection after another.

It would have been kinder to let his aneurism rupture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

And Julie Andrews had her 4-octave voice destroyed by malpractice. They screwed up a pretty routine surgery to remove non-cancerous polyps from here vocal chords.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ical-disaster/

http://www.playbill.com/article/juli...usic-com-91729

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I had the same thing happen after my aneurism surgery (Dacron aorta and cow valve installed) and after four years it hasn't gotten any better. If I talk much during the day, then by evening I often don't have much voice left. Mine was caused by my battle with the breathing tube. I told them ahead of time that I really didn't like the idea, and that they had better tie my arms down while that thing was in there. As soon as I woke up in the ICU my wife said I started fighting it, trying to use my arms and when they couldn't move, kicking my legs. She and the nurse then held my legs down and then I sat upright, which they take a really dim view of right after having your chest opened up. The nurse pushed the button which called the "bouncers" and they came in and knocked me out again.

One doc once said they might be able to inject silicone into the spaces between the vocal chords, but that idea doesn't appeal to me. You know what they say about silicone....it might give me fish eyes. Now when I try to sing, some words sound and on others, only air comes out. I was never much of a singer though, so that part of it really doesn't matter much.

Well then, I’m guessing it was his vocal cords after all.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

In December I had three stents placed for an aortic aneurysm. To place the stents I ended up with two incision points in the groin area each about 1/4 of an inch. Don't even have a scar today.

Amazing the advancements in surgery.

It's also a blessing to have great health insurance (medicare and Tri-care) as I walked out of the hospital after 2 days and didn't give them a dime out of my pocket.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

I wish him well.

I thought his band mates were cast in a bad light when they gave him the boot. I wonder what they see in the mirror now?

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I wish him well.

I thought his band mates were cast in a bad light when they gave him the boot. I wonder what they see in the mirror now?
    I'm always interested in what happens, when band members quarrel... I wonder what BOTH sides of the story are.

I recall when Glenn Frey and Don Henley booted Don Felder out of the Eagles. I read Felder's book... and I listened to Frey and Henley's explanations....

...and I come down strongly on the side of Felder. Henley and Frey were genuine a$$holes.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."