Thread: diesel fuel stink

Default diesel fuel stink

I have two things that I would like some thoughts on how to get rid of diesel fuel stink - Clothes and a mattress. I did some work the other day and splashed diesel on my jacket. 3 washes later it still stinks. The other is the mattresses. I brought one of the twin bed mattress home from the boat for a grandson that moved in and it stinks. Anyway to get that out or am I adding new mattresses to the repair parts list?

Default Re: diesel fuel stink

I would try an ozone generator. I don't know about diesel stink but it has taken gasoline odors out of my truck after a spill. Try soaking the jacket in Dawn dish washing liquid. Good luck but I fear you will be mattress shopping soon.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

The clothes might get clean enough with repeated washing to become work clothes. The mattress, if fuel soaked below the surface is probably hopeless.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

This stuff is amazing. It’s what guys who work on oil furnaces use. It comes in a aerosol spray, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Utility-Wonde...ag=googhydr-20

Diesel stinks, after a lifetime of working with it I hate it and treat it like toxic waste. When I was young I used to sort of like it! Go figure.
    Don't spill it, but if you do, pay attention to the rags and etc that you use to clean it up. If you spill in on the floorboards or in the bilge it will smell forever. If I have any on my clothing I do not wear it into the house, there is a washing machine outside just for that reason...
    (My wife says "Spray and Wash" and Oxyclean work pretty well.)

Is the mattress a foam core?, springs? wadding like a futon? can you unzip the cover off or is it like a domestic household bed.? Whatever, if it will bear it and your time is worth less than the cost of a new one , ...
    Make a tray from bits of four by twos or house bricks and line it with heavy duty polythene. fill it with water. Add almost any household detergent, soda, ammonia based kitchen degreasers, maybe diswasher detergent which is pretty strong ,and soak it for as long as you can be bothered. Stomp on it , swish it about, turn it over and repeat . powerwash with one of those feeble home power jobs (some things they are good for) or a strong hosing . Or hire a steam upholstery and carpet cleaner. Or chuck it and buy a new one . If labour and time isn't an issue Id definitely give it a try.
    I've rescued some decent oriental carpets and rugs like this, but they were worth it.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Ya, I'm thinking the mattresses are shot. They are inner spring, may be original Grand Banks but seem to be in awful good shape if they are that old. The clothes, after the first wash my coat went to the garage. I tried sneaking my shirt back into the laundry and caught hell for that. I plan on renting one of those ozone generators for the boat. We did that for my dad's house for cigarette smoke and it worked great. I will try to get some of the mentioned cleaners as I'm sure I will have another run in with the diesel in the near future.

I purchased this one for pet odors (cat pi$$ stinks in carpet) and it worked great. I only ran it for about 10 minutes and a month later there is still no smell. I also run it in my camper once in a while as well as the truck after hunting season. Cheap and effective.

https://www.amazon.com/Enerzen-Comme...=fsclp_pl_dp_2

Jim...
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Sweet, that is cheap enough just to buy it. Thanks

I read somewhere that ozone will rot your rubber parts, if left running on the boat.

I have heard that also. I think you have to run it a LOT for that too happen but I plan on being carefull. I see that particular one(I ordered it) has a timer.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I read somewhere that ozone will rot your rubber parts, if left running on the boat.

One cool dark night on Magic, we were way down east in Maine and had a nice fire in the tiny tot. My peace was destroyed when I smelled gasoline. The Atomic four's float bowl was leaking.
    Since then, I've loved the smell of diesel.

My late father-in-law was a gifted machinist and mechanic. He had salvaged a WWII Higgins boat wrecked in a cyclone in Okinawa and turned it into a beautiful yacht, the second-oldest boat in our harbor. He was a true renaissance man.

He kept a perfume atomizer in his shop that contained diesel. He would occasionally spray some into the air and derive obvious delight from the horrified looks on the faces of visitors.
    --​Anson, M/V Kingfisher

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama

Diesel smells nice anyway. Its just boat smell.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

The smell of diesel fuel is a result of the amount of sulfer it contains. In California low sulfur diesel is required by law. As a result exhaust from marine Diesel and automobile engines stinks less than in other states. Old diesel boat submariners used to smell like
    an oil field because of the saturation in their clothing from the fumes.
    Jay

Before you give up on the mattresses , which will be expensive to replace, you might want to try a spray product for dealing with cat door/urine called Skout’s Honor. If possible, remove the mattresses from the boat and place them in a spot with lots of ventilation. Spray all sides, wait a day and then spray again.
    When completely dry, place some dryer sheets on the fabric and wrap the mattresses. Worked for us @nd we’ve got Relatively small boat with old twin diesels.
    paul

Control Freak odor control made for deer hunting by Primos also takes care of animal smells. It may also work for diesel but I haven't tried it on any petroleum smells. It doesn't contain any perfumes and once it dries it is odorless.

Thanks, I didn't think about scent lock type of stuff. Should have picked up something on my last trip to Cabelas.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceboy View Post
    Control Freak odor control made for deer hunting by Primos also takes care of animal smells. It may also work for diesel but I haven't tried it on any petroleum smells. It doesn't contain any perfumes and once it dries it is odorless.

I don't mind the smell of diesel. We heat our shop with it. My sweetie detests it. So, if I ever get a larger inboard boat... it had best not be diesel powered, methinks. Been many years since I slopped any on myself - but I do remember some proprietary goop that worked well to wash out the odor.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)