Thread: Henry Gruber Yawl "Project"

Default Henry Gruber Yawl "Project"

Potentially beautiful restoration project that looks to be priced unrealistically high (speculation on my part) at $155,000US. The listing is terrible as far as photos go. I've attached a picture of a cousin as it would be great to see her thus restored. Also attached are a picture from her days in service with the Royal Canadian Navy and her sail plan. Beyond me and most of us I'd wager, but nice to think it could happen...

Links to -

Broker's listing: https://www.yachtauthority.com/boat-...n_Diego_CA.htm (the listing is arguably easier to read on Yachtworld - https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/193...rical-2618174/)

Vessel's history: http://classicyachtinfo.com/yachts/helgoland/

More History: http://www.forposterityssake.ca/Navy/PICKLE-SV.htm

"Cousin:" https://www.isails.org/classic-yacht...stermuehe.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Henry Gruber Yawl "Project"

Cool boat, but I'm a bit surprised at the "15-20K to finish her". I realize that's not chump change, but for a boat of this size it's not that much & having her finished & shown in real pics would make all the difference.

I guess what I'm saying is that something seems odd about this.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Very famous boat, brilliant designer, put a nought on those numbers..

Edited to remove the nonsense that my iPhone decided to write for me. And yes I mean that the refit bill will be US$150,000 to US$200,000.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 02-10-2019 at 01:20 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Cool boat, but I'm a bit surprised at the "15-20K to finish her". I realize that's not chump change, but for a boat of this size it's not that much & having her finished & shown in real pics would make all the difference.

I guess what I'm saying is that something seems odd about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Very famous boat, brilliant designer, put [an ought] on those numbers..
    I treated that $15k-$20k like the worn out speedbump it appears to be. I think ACB has a better measure that matches the odd quality of the proffered number to get across the finish line. Still, it's a fraction of what's reputed to have been spent on her. Good money after good or after bad?
    Last edited by Wiley Baggins; 02-08-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Ah - add a zero to the "what it'll take to finish her" - I took it as needing to be added to the sale price. This makes more sense.

She's a beauty, but the modern wheelhouse (while practical) really looks out of place.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    She's a beauty, but the modern wheelhouse (while practical) really looks out of place.
    I'd spend the first $15k-$20k removing that!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley Baggins View Post
    I'd spend the first $15k-$20k removing that!
    BINGO! That's pretty ghastly even if it was needful for the charter business.

Rebuilt in 1999 and dry stored since then? Deceased estate and noone can be bothered making a decent listing? $50,000 would buy it I reckon

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

If I had a couple hundred grand to spare.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    If I had a couple hundred grand to spare.....
    Probably safer to take the Barenaked Ladies approach...

Just for kicks I poked around a bit more and found an earlier listing for $295,000 (Canadian?). There are a lot more and clearer photos, but they're small. The images make me think some of the previous money spent was "bad," but I imagine the owners had good reasons for their choices.

There were a couple on instances in the last decade where this might have made sense, but not now, I think.

More - https://www.boatsville.com/boats//th...rmester/193681

So she is iron framed, epoxy soaked and sheated with a 6mm fiberglass/epoxy skin. The original interior is probably mostly gone ("commercial grade construction" galley). To me it also looks like someone has done something to her counterstern, but maybe it's just the photos.
    I'm thinking one needs to add two zeros to that refitting budget to get her back to interwar glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    So she is iron framed, epoxy soaked and sheated with a 6mm fiberglass/epoxy skin. The original interior is probably mostly gone ("commercial grade construction" galley). To me it also looks like someone has done something to her counterstern, but maybe it's just the photos.
    I'm thinking one needs to add two zeros to that refitting budget to get her back to interwar glory.
    The fiberglass goes a long way towards being a heart/deal breaker. The original cabin design was really appealing. More's the pity.

I think (hope) the shortened appearance of the counter is a visual effect of what look to be heightened bulwarks.
    Last edited by Wiley Baggins; 02-09-2019 at 10:44 PM.

15-20k might buy sails. Incidentally it is also about the right price for them to be asking for the whole boat. The right offer is less...

Lovely boat. I'm a sucker for yawls.

Well I am the happy owner of a boat of that size, also by a brilliant designer and a great builder, but made of frozen snot. I can’t understand why anyone has put a 200hp engine in her. Kukri gets along fine with 45hp, and she has a foot more beam and draft and a 22 ton displacement.

“Helgoland” is in one of the Uffa Fox annuals, by the way.

Thinking further, she is suffering from her history as a “windfall yacht” (the term given to all the rather nice boats “snaffled” from Germany by Britain after WW2). Henry Gruber was a designer in the Herreshoff, Rhodes or Fife class, but if she were a Fife she would have been shipped over to Fairlie Restorations and had millions spent on a proper job, which is what she needs.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT