Thread: Classic/Vintage Motor Yacht Reading Suggestions?

Default Classic/Vintage Motor Yacht Reading Suggestions?

This year my wife and I will be returning to the Pacific coast after 8+ years in the lower midwest. We are in our 60s and have established a tentative 5 year time frame for getting a classic/vintage motor yacht or converted commercial vessel for cruising in the PNW. During that time we will be socking away money and building our skills and knowledge. I would welcome any suggestions/comments for a reading list specifically related to this sort of boat. This is the list I have compiled so far. Comments or additional suggestions would be most welcome. Out of print titles are fine.

Yacht Designs by William Garden

Classic Wooden Yachts of the Northwest by Ron McClure

Classic Wooden Motor Yachts by Ron McClure

Knee Deep in Shavings: Memories of Early Yachting and Boatbuilding on the West Coast by Norman Blanchard

Classic Yacht Association Photo Album by Rick Olson

American Classic: The Yachts and Ships of Jack Hargrave by Marilyn Mower

Drawing on Our History: Fishing Vessels of the Pacific Northwest and Alaska by James A. Cole

Ed Monk and the Tradition of Classic Boats by Bet Oliver

Trumpy by Robert W. Told

Default Re: Classic/Vintage Motor Yacht Reading Suggestions?

Great idea! And that list is a really good start. I have all of those books and enjoy them immensely. I'd also add:

Voyaging Under Power by Robert Beebe

The Boat Mechanical Systems Handbook by Dave Gerr

Down Below by Matthew Walker (out of print I think, but copies are available)

Modern Boat Building by Ed Monk

The Curve of Time by Wylie Blanchet

How to Cruise to Alaska Without Rocking the Boat by Walt Woodward (if you can find a copy)

Big Toot by Walt Woodward (ditto)

(As an aside, Walt Woodward was a local icon of journalism in the Seattle area and his life is well worth researching. An amazing man.)

I'm sure I can come up with other titles as well. I'll take a look at my library when I get home.

Oh, and definitely look for a copy of The Warm Dry Boat by Roger McAfee. Also out of print I believe but very worth finding for anyone wanting to live aboard in the PNW.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am adding all of those to my list. I am reading The Curve of Time right now. I plan to pass it along to my wife.

I have followed what you have been doing with Petrel. My wife and I love those commercial boats. Varnish looks great where it is suited, but paint looks just as good on the right sort of boat.

Mark
    Last edited by Bookmark; 02-07-2019 at 02:31 PM.

bookmark this site: http://www.tadroberts.ca/
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    bookmark this site: http://www.tadroberts.ca/
    I have been following Tad's websites (both the main site and the Passagemaker Lite site) for some years now (as well as his valuable and thoughtful posts on this forum).. If I had the money I would dearly love to commision one of his designs. I admire the way he is able to combine the most up-to-date construction with a design aesthetic faithful to PNW traditions. It seems like he has a very balanced approach to materials and building technique, not wedded to any particular approach but rather looking at what is appropriate to a particular design. His long and lean designs really evoke the boats of an earlier era while dealing practically with the world we live in now.

I highly recommend The Curve of Time. We keep extra copies of it on the boat, and give them to friends. Susan and I originally read it to one another while camping in MAKOTO.

There is also a book called Following the Curve of Time by Cathy Converse, which chronicles a voyage to visit all of the sites Blanchet describes in The Curve of Time.

Other useful books:

Boatbuilding by Howard Chapelle

Boatbuilding Manual by Robert M. Steward

Brightwork by Rebecca Wittman

The Brightwork Companion by Rebecca Wittman

Wooden Boat Renovation by Jim Trefethen

Boat Joinery and Cabinetmaking buy Fred Bingham

Boatowners Illustrated Electrical Handbook by Charlie Wing

Marine Diesel Engines by Nigel Calder

Drop me a line when you settle in Sonoma County. I highly recommend Petaluma. Just the right mix of old and new, arts, music and tech.

Scott
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC