Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: BROTM1: About The Isla

Default BROTM1: About The Isla

When I joined the forum, just over ten years ago, I think I may have created a bit of gender ambiguity by adopting the name Isla. At the time I pointed a few people to my profile, where all is explained, but who the hell reads profiles? So, wondering if after all this time that uncertainty still exists I thought I might start my BROTM term by putting the record straight.

My name is John, the Isla is a river. I am definitely a person of the blokish persuasion, complete with cod-dangle and associated gronicles. Also I am not Scottish, but I have lived here for 37 years.

So having got that sorted, here's some info on the Isla river (Uisge Ěle)

The Isla is only about 18 miles long, and is a tributary of the river Deveron. It rises from a small lochan between the Moray towns of Dufftown and Keith. Both are important whisky distilling towns. Paraphrasing the story of Rome (built on seven hills) locals say that Dufftown was built on seven stills, and it is the home of Glenfiddich among others. Keith has the Strathisla distillery, which claims to be the oldest in Scotland having started production in 1786.
    It is also one of the prettiest distilleries. This is where Chivas Regal is made.

By the time the river reaches Keith it looks like this.. The Auld Brig over river Isla at Keith

It then crosses from Moray into Aberdeenshire, and when it gets to my house it looks like this.. My house is just behind the trees on the left.

Then a mile downstream from here it runs into the river Deveron.

So I live in Strathisla, the valley of the Isla, not to be confused with Glenisla, the valley of the other Isla river, about 90 miles south, which is a major tributary to the River Tay. Just for the record, a Strath is a wide and shallow valley, whereas a Glen is typically narrow and deep.

About the time I joined the forum I was running a part-time/hobby woodworking business, called Isla Woodcraft, and I was investigating building my first wooden boat. I have to admit that I was a bit pleased with the name of my little business, so I couldn't resist using it when I joined. So hopefully that explains everything
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

Default Re: BROTM1: About The Isla

Here's a video of a tour of the Strathisla distillery. The audio isn't great, but it should give you a flavour, so to speak..

If you google Strathisla, every hit on the first few pages relates to the local whisky distilleries.

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

Lovely!
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I always though isla meant island. But I guess different languages have different words for stuff.

Yeah, that's exactly what it looks like around here, too. Doesn't EVERYONE live in a fairy tale?

Sheesh.

Peace,
    Robert

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

I agree with Robert, it does look like a fairy tale setting. Feel free to post lots more pictures!
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

OH this is going to be a GOOD rein Way to go Isla
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McMahon View Post
    I agree with Robert, it does look like a fairy tale setting. Feel free to post lots more pictures!
    That bridge, que no? Wow.

The one thing I'd savour most about crossing the pond is the age of some of that stuff. I'd wager that footbridge is older than this country.

Peace,
    Robert

So much more than the sketchy profile. Thanks.

This is indeed good stuff!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Pretty little river.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Fabulous! Worth the wait.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Very pretty, but that's what we call a 'creek' 'round here.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Yeah, that's exactly what it looks like around here, too. Doesn't EVERYONE live in a fairy tale?

Sheesh.

Peace,
    Robert
    Right? What a nice place. And Glenfiddich? Over the top. Double sheesh! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Very pretty, but that's what we call a 'creek' 'round here.
    Well... I wasn't gonna say anything. Here's the little river I grew up on <G> --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

So now we're going to have a river waving contest? We do small and pretty around here

This is the slightly larger River Deveron that the Isla feeds into. It flows into the Moray Firth between Banff and Macduff.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Thanks John.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Well... I wasn't gonna say anything. Here's the little river I grew up on <G> --
    I grew up on this one. Three towboats passing each other last Saturday.

3 towboats Warfield.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    So now we're going to have a river waving contest? We do small and pretty around here

This is the slightly larger River Deveron that the Isla feeds into. It flows into the Moray Firth between Banff and Macduff.

Changed my mind. Knock it off!

Peace,
    Wow.

So, is the "s" silent? I've always kind of assumed it was, a la Islay...

What are you doing about it?

Outstanding. North America has a lot of beauty, but things like those bridges set within the landscape ... not so much.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Isla, those photographs are breathtaking. You do live in a remarkably beautiful place.

Too right. An egregious and bumptious thread detour. My apologies... tha mi duilich
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    So, is the "s" silent? I've always kind of assumed it was, a la Islay...
    Yes, you're right, it's I La, or eye la.

I'm perfectly cool about the American river posts. I love rivers, big or small, they all have their charm. I think the Mersey is still my favourite. The upper reaches away from Liverpool are very pretty. You may get a thread about that

By the time the river reaches Keith it looks like this.. The Auld Brig over river Isla at Keith

It then crosses from Moray into Aberdeenshire, and when it gets to my house it looks like this.. My house is just behind the trees on the left.

Then a mile downstream from here it runs into the river Deveron.

So I live in Strathisla, the valley of the Isla, not to be confused with Glenisla, the valley of the other Isla river, about 90 miles south, which is a major tributary to the River Tay. Just for the record, a Strath is a wide and shallow valley, whereas a Glen is typically narrow and deep.

About the time I joined the forum I was running a part-time/hobby woodworking business, called Isla Woodcraft, and I was investigating building my first wooden boat. I have to admit that I was a bit pleased with the name of my little business, so I couldn't resist using it when I joined. So hopefully that explains everything
    just wanted to see the bridge & stream again.. (-:

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    That bridge, que no? Wow.

The one thing I'd savour most about crossing the pond is the age of some of that stuff. I'd wager that footbridge is older than this country.

Peace,
    Robert
    1609. Three years after the Susan Constant (Constance?) headed for Jamestown.

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

Two more small rivers
    SmallRiver.jpg

SmallRiver2.jpg
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    OH this is going to be a GOOD rein Way to go Isla
    Agreed. looks promising!
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Oh, why not; here's our river:

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Plenty of good rain in Scotland!
    Dunno about reins or reigns though.

Keith's looks a lot like ours. Here's one of my favourite river photos, this one from the northwest coast of Hudson Bay. My dad did a bunch of work on the char population of Saqvaqjuac River, and we ate a few of them, too. My sister is holding fresh char filets, and my mom is casting for more. This about 10:00 pm on, IIRC, June 22nd.

saq.jpg

What are you doing about it?

While we're on the subject of bridges, there are quite a lot of interesting ones in these parts. Mostly a bit newer than the Auld Brig at Keith..

This one is on the River Spey just a few miles over from the Isla..

Old Spey bridge, Grantown on Spey, 1754.

And this one is is a lot newer, built while Napoleon was retreating from Moscow. I always drive my American in-laws across to see this one when they visit.

Craigellachie Bridge is a cast iron arch bridge across the River Spey at Craigellachie, near to the village of Aberlour in Moray, Scotland. It was designed by the renowned civil engineer Thomas Telford and built from 1812–1814. It is a Category A listed structure.

Here I am in the middle of a local stream that never got a bridge..

0127191441-1.jpg

and here's a stream crossing.. that I didn't take that day. (-:

0119191612a-2.jpg

the road comes from the near left and crosses to dead ahead..

^Love the castellated abutments, Isla.

Flying Orca, I Google-Mapped "Saqvaqjuac River" and on the day the satellite flew over, it was frozen and snow-covered, therefore uniformly flat and white. That was a rare condition up there, right? <wink, grin>
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.