Thread: A Nice Day For Icebreaking

Default A Nice Day For Icebreaking

We got a couple of lovely days after a very cold snap. I took advantage:
    IMG_1278.jpgIMG_1284.jpgIMG_1285.jpg
    The boat is a 15' ultralight canoe.

Default Re: A Nice Day For Icebreaking

I tried to type something, but my fingers are so cold...

Peace,
    Robert

The water was around freezing, but the air was near 50.

I can't do that until mid March. The ice is still safe for truck traffic here.
    20 below.jpg
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post

The water was around freezing, but the air was near 50.
    Oh, 50? 50's nice. We had freeze last night, and I really am cold. It came VERY close to snowing yesterday here, which would make the 3rd time I've seen snow on the valley floor in the 4x years I've lived on it.
    We had really soft hail. Still hail, but softer, almost a slush, I guess it would be? We have no snow words.

Which, it normally freezes or dips below here a few days every year.

And, actually, one of my favorite memories is the day I paddled our canoe the length of the lake we were camped on in a snow storm. Not a crazy blizzard, mind, but a nice, feathery snowfall. Snow comes with elevation, here. Anyway, after packing all the bits to the car overland, my wife took it to meet me at the boat takeout, while I paddled around to meet her. The ONLY sound was the soft suck of my paddle as I j-stroked along, at a relaxed and steady pace. I stuck to the shoreline, because it's a large lake, and visibility was snow limited, so I got to watch as the snow gradually buried the shoreline.

It was so beautiful, like a movie, but 1,000,000 times better.

Not as good as getting back into the bug with the heaters fully open, though. Warm toes and exhaust high make Robert something something...

Peace,
    Robert

'Soft hail' would be otherwise known as sleet, Rob.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Nice! Looks a little chilly but it would feel good to get out on the water like that. Like MN Dave says it's at least a couple months out here. One of my favorite memories is following an early ice-out into Quetico in mid April with my then 11 year old daughter. Just a few very scattered snow flurries on the way in and on the way back across Basswood Lake but in the middle were 3 beautiful warm days of bright sun, calm winds and good lake trout fishing. I know it's a favorite memory of hers as well. Each day we could progress a little further as the ice broke up on Agnes Lake. At the end of the first portage a Canada jay flew over and landed on my head looking for a snack which was amazing to me as I'm certain no one had been over that portage since the fall before. Somewhere I have a photo taken from our campsite where the boulders twenty feet down on lake bottom showed clearly through the skim ice that formed overnight each night.

283933_789814086072_2508828_n 2.jpg

25420_624518429892_3367123_n.jpg

Bruce

Great stories and pics, thanks.
    I remember sailing in snow. I was trying to sail my 20' Pennant Sloop from her summer dock to the yard in December. The breeze was light and kept getting lighter. I could row that boat, but not the ten miles or so to the yard. My frustration was compounded by the weather forecast: gale warning. I would take any wind, but it continued as just a breath. Well after dark I turned back, still being closer to my start than my finish. It started snowing lightly, and my irritation was replaced with wonder at the beauty and peace of the light snow in the darkness. I think I got back around midnight, and the boat froze in that year. But I still can see it and feel it now. It also started a tradition of wintering in water, and sailing in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Thank you! Seriously. I knew there was a term. It was really cool.

No pun intended. Honest.

Sad that I have to say that.

Peace,
    Robert

Wife and I went canoeing on a remote Vermont lake one Thanksgiving. Shortly after we launched came a blinding snowstorm. It was magical.

I've done that with my crappy old fiberglass canoe, but wouldn't use one of my glued lap canoes. How did the bottom take the ice? Or is that salt water ice real mushy?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

No problem with the ice. The thin stuff broke, thicker pieces pushed under or stopped the boat. She has brass bands on the stems and glass tape on the keel. But even before I added the glass, the boat never suffered from being dragged up on sandy or even stony beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Sleet is little ice beads. Rob's description sounds like snain, the semi-slang term for slushy mixed light rain and snow.
    This is funny, but I like Rob's take on it a lot better: https://www.change.org/p/the-weather...ation-to-snain

There is no sound (thank God) quite like breaking thin ice with an aluminum canoe.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch