Thread: 9'6" Nutshell Pram Midship Frame

Default 9'6" Nutshell Pram Midship Frame

The plans for the nutshell clearly show the laminated frame as 3/4" (although not specifically dimensioned). However the "Materials List" refers to 1/4 by 1 inch strips. Which should I choose?
    My mistake - the Materials List shows "enough 1/8' x 1 inch" not 1/4
    Last edited by surveyor464; 02-04-2019 at 04:19 PM. Reason: corrected thickness of midship frame

Default Re: 9'6" Nutshell Pram Midship Frame

maybe a lamination of 3 times 1/4" is desired?

The dimension is probably not critical. I think the idea is to use 1" strips and tidy it up to 3/4 after you've laminated. I had thinner plank to start with, and cut thinner strips.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by koederfischgriller View Post
    maybe a lamination of 3 times 1/4" is desired?
    No.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

When laminating it's impossible to get a nice finish on the faces of the lamination so people use wider strips then plane to the desired thickness, in your case 1" to net 3/4". I clean one face up with a belt sander then block plane then run it thru the thickness planer. It will save a lot of trouble if you clean off the squeeze out before it hardens.

Like this. You may want to lay it up in two steps, half of the laminations at a time, like I had to do here because it all added up to too much wood to bend all at once, but I think that 1" thick by 2" wide (if that's the width specified) could be done in one step, especially if you have a helper.

7.jpg

Laminating 1/8 “x1” strips sounds right just make sure to laminate enough strips as you will loose a considerable amount of material when shaping as your moving from the flat bottom section of your dinghy to your chines, also there will be a degree of spring back when you first remove your lamination. Remember to let the epoxy cure for 48 hours.
    Nice dinghy I have the smaller version and I love it.
    You will have a lot of fun sailing the larger Nutshell on Okenagen lake.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 02-04-2019 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks a bunch for your reply - also to auscruisertom's. This is the advise I was hoping for - very much appreciated. Being a novice at this project, I am more lacking in confidence than maybe ability so your support and the image are most welcome.