Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow in Seattle!!

Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    Classic Democrat, never waste a “emergency” or fail to call every thing a crisis!
    It’s about snow Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    It’s about snow Paul.

Ya 8” of it , like JohnW said that wouldn’t even close a school , in fact schools in my area today where open with a 2 hours shorter day. But we need to declare a “emergency” at the state level? Really??

What extended powers that give the Governor? He’s exploring running for POTUS, what emergency will he find at that level? I’m sure it’ll require a new tax!
    Why are Democrats afraid of snow? Why do they live with such fear and anger?

I would assume the preparations are made based on the forecast which was a lot worse than what we’ve seen so far. But yeah, it’s all the Democrats’ fault.

Classic Democrat, never waste a “emergency” or fail to call every thing a crisis!
    Much better not to prepare at all until it's too late to do anything. Classic Republican?
    "Many a time freedom has been rolled back - and always for the same sorry reason: fear." - Molly Ivins

Top of a tree from the neighbor's yard is now in my yard, snapped off by the weight of the snow. I know what I will be doing once the snow melts
    Elect a clown expect a circus

We awoke to just under 4" in our yard. Very pretty.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

About 6-8” here this morning.

5F74570B-061C-4734-B598-0349933296AE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Much better not to prepare at all until it's too late to do anything. Classic Republican?
    It all has to do with Jay getting his name in the news , really! How long have you lived in Western Washington?
    How many storms like this have we had?
    I can think of 1979 or 80 big snow storm, base close IIRC for four days.
    Me standing up on a sled , not sure I’d try that now at 63 YO LOL!

9552E911-4D6E-4444-9F39-4859C8877BD4.jpg

6C0D377C-4078-4150-B732-329931ACC3FB.jpg

1996 sh , the most snow I’ve seen over night on Whidbey. Can’t find the photo I have of our car buried under what I think was 20” of snow that fell over night.

This is a house I was building at the time a few days after the snow dumped on us when we could get back to work. Note the snowman in the window.

6D1A8D60-9267-411E-AA6C-2C30D1A1A5C4.jpg

These are 2008 or 9

29B85333-AE1C-468A-84D4-8F5A6CA08F2A.jpg

This was 2000 something people here have no clue how to drive on snow.

8290CD7A-1C7F-4A7F-ADA2-2B1C0C6BA7CB.jpg

So we have a good snow every 8 to 10 years , in the 40 + years I’ve been here.

It’s “normal”

I call Fake News. That CAN'T be Girouard on the sled. WAY too handsome...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Today 9 Feb 2019.

540508A5-52B9-4886-82E0-4D3BE9F36425.jpg

Two years ago cold weather 4+ inches of ice on Lake Erie Anacortes , Wa. Not the Great Lakes , Lake Erie .
    Cold enough to skate on , so HAD there been moisture surely cold enough to snow.

This snow right now has screwed up any chance of good ice to skate on, I think I’ve skated on Lake Erie 4 or at most 5 times in 40 years.

So cold weather snaps , snow and ice ARE ALL possible and have been for all recorded history on Whidbey Island . I’ve seen photo’s of early times 1900 where people where skating on Haste Lake , which now is a weed choked mud hole , more than a lake.

A034239F-A75B-4E83-9C73-34D329E1EEC2.jpg

So It’s my opinion this State of Emergency is trumped up poppy cock!!

Let’s not forget to mention the huge floods in Nov ., / snow in December and wind storm 26 Dec 1990 , that caused long power outages in the area.

Nope there’s nothing new under the sun , or The Son to cold weather happening occasionally in the PNW.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I call Fake News. That CAN'T be Girouard on the sled. WAY too handsome...

A exception to responding to your post , the guy laying on the sled is NOT me , It’s AT-2 Greg Poole’s, a squadron buddy.
    I’m standing on the sled, the good ole navy days where Petty Officier’s could sport beards! Another thing that’s no longer allowed.

The snow will melt , eventually , calm down and enjoy it. If you have kids go play with them in it, they might NOT be kids any more by the time it snows next , but young adults who want nothing to do with snow , or you for that matter ;-))

So enjoy it!

Global warming anyone??

So you guys had basically another dusting.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Oh... what would YOU know about snow? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    It’s the second snow in a series of storms , we may get 3 or 4 more inches Sunday night or Monday , then again on Tuesday , more snow is expected.
    Odd but NOT unheard of.

I just missed this event in RI , left home for NATTC Memphis / Millington a week before. 27” in a day , there’s your state of emergency !

75BA82CF-A6D4-4895-B2B1-1329839674E5.jpg

I was in RI for that blizzard in '78, and it was incredible.

10" here at our place on south Whidbey. We prudently placed one of our 4WD vehicles at the head of our hilly driveway beforehand. The other car ain't moving for a while.

As for the state of emergency, well, I suppose that when the state really isn't designed for snow ( Puget Sound area, anyway ), then when you get a good dump ( in one day, Seattle got their typical yearly snow fall ), it was probably prudent for Inslee to do what he did. Remember that former Seattle mayor Greg Nickels basically booted a big snow fall that cost him re-election.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Chained up the Honda. That'll guarantee we don't see another flake!
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Despite overwhelming odds I was able to move declared “State of Emergency “ type snow in under one hour with a piece of 3/8” plywood , a square shovel and a old broom!!

The Governor HAS a addenda he HAS to promote it for the POTUS run in 2020.

He’s been upstaged by the rookie congress critter with the bug eyes , AOC. He’s desperate for center stage.

I’ll give Inslee credit for getting the I-5 Skagit River bridge replaced in short order, it’s federal road way , but I’m sure he played some part in cutting thru the BS required to build a bridge across a river, they got that bridge rebuilt in 6 months .

Other than that all he’s done is add taxes and regulations.

A1F65EC9-4AA8-4D35-A880-3EAD55E3059C.jpg

From the looks for it, Paiul, that snow would have melted on that blacktop all by itself, given a day, even a cloudy day.

I think State of Emergency, among other things, allows the state / city to tap federal funds, which can help pay for a cleanup when your entire annual snow budget is blown in one storm.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

One thing about snow in Seattle, it brings out all the people that sound just like my dad.

“ You call this snow!? Why, I used to live somewhere else and that’s where we had snow!”
    “ You call this a walk!? Why, I used to walk to school every day in four foot drifts, uphill both ways!”
    ”People around here sure don’t know how to drive. Why, I used to drive the old model A 30 miles across a frozen lake with bald tires just to get cigarettes.”

One thing about snow in Seattle, it brings out all the people that sound just like my dad.

“ You call this snow!? Why, I used to live somewhere else and that’s where we had snow!”
    “ You call this a walk!? Why, I used to walk to school every day in four foot drifts, uphill both ways!”
    ”People around here sure don’t know how to drive. Why, I used to drive the old model A 30 miles across a frozen lake with bald tires just to get cigarettes.”
    As predictable as the people complaining about fireworks after the 4th of July and the Blue Angels after SeaFair. Lot of people aren't happy unless they're complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    From the looks for it, Paiul, that snow would have melted on that blacktop all by itself, given a day, even a cloudy day.

I think State of Emergency, among other things, allows the state / city to tap federal funds, which can help pay for a cleanup when your entire annual snow budget is blown in one storm.

Kevin
    Well IF it’s going to melt in my driveway , why not on the road?

Yes , it allows some other funding BUT Washington State’s road clearing budget also includes eastern Washington , which DOES get a fair amount of snow , except this year, they’ve gotten off easy.

The Governor controls the state budget , the cities manage there own budgets. And yes one of the recent Mayor’s of Seattle did get raked over the coals for a snow storm, the Seattle Libs ate their own on that one. Snow here , generally doesn’t stay a super long time, so people should learn to settle down.

And we are still in for below freezing weather for another 7 to 10 days , more snow Sunday , Monday and Tuesday.
    I think Inslee over reacted , IF he where a Democrat the Dcrats would be saying the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    As predictable as the people complaining about fireworks after the 4th of July and the Blue Angels after SeaFair. Lot of people aren't happy unless they're complaining.

And Seattle Liberals are some of the worst whiners around! LOL!!

There was a six metre sailing on Lake Union today.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

And Seattle Liberals are some of the worst whiners around! LOL!!
    ...said the guy who's always complaining about liberals!

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    There was a six metre sailing on Lake Union today.

Mickey Lake
    Which one?

The snow has started up again, right when they said it would.

The snow has started up again, right when they said it would.
    Here, too. Light and fine and crisp. Should be a pretty evening... but turn to rain overnight.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    ...said the guy who's always complaining about liberals!
    I comment occasionally on the thousands of complaints I read on the forum. Let’s compare post count, I rest my case.

I comment occasionally on the thousands of complaints I read on the forum. Let’s compare post count, I rest my case.
    Quantity of posts is only part of the equation... and not the most important. It's the Whininess Quotient, and the shallow (to non-existent) basis for complaint that are the bigger issues.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Barometer is dropping, wind is picking up, and the snow started up again. I did make it to the office to gather up work for the next few days. Quite a series of storms

I may have to pass on the martini tonight and go straight to the cognac.