Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow in Seattle!!

Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    That Huber's joint is almost worth the horrific trip down to Portland. Fine, fine old school bar.
    Haven't been there in years, but yes... it is.

We awoke to maybe an inch of accumulation. Very pretty in the streetlights, and still falling... barely. MeLike!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Here's our neighborhood this morning --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I would like some snow like that.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

The sun is out this morning, temp about 23f. The street in front of the house is glare white ice with a thin coat of sun melt water on top. Think I’ll leave my car in the driveway.

I drove to the office. The streets are clear once I got out of my neighborhood. A house is under construction behind us. A guy showed up this morning to sweep the snow off the top of the engineered wood floor joists. Not sure if the crew will be working or if the joists can't take snow sitting on them.

A beautiful day. I imagine the water at the Everett Marina is frozen. Glad I went up on Thursday night and flicked on the boat's water heater
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Dr.Cliff Mass of the UW meteorology dept, says we're in for it between Friday and Monday.
    "Many a time freedom has been rolled back - and always for the same sorry reason: fear." - Molly Ivins

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Dr.Cliff Mass of the UW meteorology dept, says we're in for it between Friday and Monday.
    *snorts awake* Whaa... a mass of snow is gonna fall off a cliff on us? Ahh... I'm not near Queen Anne... *yawn*... *falls back asleep*
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Given how badly the city handles snow plowing, this will pretty much shut things down. We already have reports of cars and buses spinning out. I hate driving in Seattle when it snows, because so few people know how to drive in the snow here, and those with four wheel drive seem to think they don't have to slow down.
    I've never driven on snow it would be short and sharp.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

So another dusting?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I've never driven on snow it would be short and sharp.
    I once had a girlfriend who worked on Mt. Rainier. I drove up there every weekend, even when the road wasn't easy to discern and a bridge had washed out (it was dark, I came over a rise and saw nothing but blackness ahead of me and knew I couldn't stop, so I kept going and found I was fording a stream.) I became fairly expert at driving in the snow. But having to deal with Seattle drivers who seem to have no concept of simple Newtonian laws of motion has left me dodging out-of-control vehicles in some dicey situations.

Okay, enough snow talk. How’s the new bookstore working out John?

John's store looks great. Good location. Very visible as you drive west on Market Street. Foot traffic looks good, too. Best location so far in Ballard?
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

We reopened Saturday, still some work to do getting out of the old place and getting it clean enough to be torn down. We got a lot of help from volunteers, which made me feel pretty good about how the community feels about us. Our first day open was very good, our second day business dried up when the snow started, and Monday I didn't open. Getting to work would have meant taking the bus, and I'm still recovering from a bad cold, so I wasn't ready to wait for it in 24 degree weather with a 20 mph wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    John's store looks great. Good location. Very visible as you drive west on Market Street. Foot traffic looks good, too. Best location so far in Ballard?
    Yes, and I like my landlords, hope to stay here a long time.

Yes, and I like my landlords, hope to stay here a long time.
    I look forward to popping in soon.

So I had to crack 2" of ice to get at my weekly oysters on Sunday. You folks don't impress me.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    So I had to crack 2" of ice to get at my weekly oysters on Sunday. You folks don't impress me.
    Oh c’mon. I had to brush two inches of snow off my windshield before I could drive to the store for a chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    So another dusting?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    *snorts awake* Whaa... a mass of snow is gonna fall off a cliff on us? Ahh... I'm not near Queen Anne... *yawn*... *falls back asleep*

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/...it-region.html

Sounds like 4-8 inches Friday night. Then that again on Monday

The bottom line: the late Friday/early Saturday event will bring major snowfall to the lowlands, with more accumulation than the last event. Confidence is high based on both NOAA/NWS and European Center ensembles. Both modeling systems are suggesting a second event starting on Monday, with the European Center going for a huge snow dump. Confidence is less because there are differences in the model solutions for that period.

SDOT, WSDOT, and other local department's of transportation need to get prepared for perhaps the snowiest period since the large snowfall of December 1996, when Seattle received 21 inches. And yes, you might stock up on food before noon on Friday. I certainly am.

This is the predicted snow accumulation as of 0400 Tuesday.

And this is the predicted accumulation as of 0400 Wednesday.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I just have to figure out how to get to the airport next Saturday then bask in the sun in Cancun until it melts.

By those Cliff Mass maps we will get about 9" here on south Whidbey, significant enough. We are stocking up tomorrow, because we may be snowed in for several days ( ourr driveway is curvy, has some slopes, and is about .2 miles long. And I'd get a stoke trying to shovel it. )

Seattle has maybe 35 snowplows. If Mass is right, the city will be a mess for some time.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Is Cliff Mass related to George Zimmer, the owner and tv pitchman for the Men’s Warehouse? They have two of the deepest voices in broadcast history.

I know, Cliff Mass could be a major star on radio.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

According to the mad rush for supplies at the grocery store this afternoon, I think Cliff Mass must work for Kroger. People seem to be taking this seriously.

Just tried to buy groceries and gave up. The line was from the front of the store to the back.

Even New Seasons was busy. So you know the locals are getting ready to party. New Seasons is usually a ghost town here in Ballard.

What are you doing in New Seasons, that right wing bastion of Trumpism?

It’s starting. Right on the predicted time.

It started pussyfooting around shortly after 9AM, and started coming down in earnest a bit after noon. Still without the predicted wind from the north, however. I expect that will come. As long as we don't lose power, it's snug as a bug in a rug here.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Did you know this storm has a name? “Maya”

(Wasn’t there a song. “They call the wind Mariha”?)

I am working at home today. We ran some errands, bought the last 1/2 gallon of milk at the store and now it's coming down hard. So much for my thinking we would not get snow this year
    Elect a clown expect a circus

I was able to buy a few more groceries yesterday in Poulsbo on my way home. Included was some wine and beer, of course. A guy has to have his priorities right. Then I got gas in the car and one of the jerry cans. Good to have the car full and the can gas is to fuel the generator if needed. And if the snow gets heavy we will surely have a power outage. Hopefully by sunday afternoon things in Seattle will be settled a bit. My wife has an appointment on Monday morning so we'll be staying at a hotel Sunday night. Hoping for dry streets or a brave and skillful taxi driver.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    What are you doing in New Seasons, that right wing bastion of Trumpism?
    I go there because it's new, clean, and so deeply disliked by our fellow locals. It's always empty. Lots of open parking. I have the place to myself whenever I go. Very satisfying. I don't think the New Seasons store will last long, especially once the PCC goes in across from the Edith Macefield house.

So far kind of a bust. About an inch of slush and according to radar looks like it’s over for a while.

The Governor has declared an emergency. For an amount of snow that wouldn't close an elementary school in Maine.

The Governor has declared an emergency. For an amount of snow that wouldn't close an elementary school in Maine.

Classic Democrat, never waste a “emergency” or fail to call every thing a crisis!