Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 67

Thread: Snow in Seattle!!

Old ways are the best ways. We figured it out, pragmatically, a few centuries back.

https://www.guttersupply.com/p-snowguards.gstml

3BF62BD6-2096-4B06-8A4C-4A36858C8223
    by Nicholas Carey, on Flickr

F1CD8479-0E8D-4D68-BDBA-DA0769DA7B67
    Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 02-13-2019 at 12:33 AM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    A friend of mine was caught by an avalanche off her roof. She was lucky her daughter was looking out the window when it came down, or she would have died. As it was, she wound up in hospital. Tin roof, and a couple feet of snow, with a woodstove supplying the heat inside.
    Indeed. One place we lived in New Hampshire, a big roofload came down on top of our car. Had to replace the windshield.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Old ways are the best ways. We figured it out, pragmatically, a few centuries back.

https://www.guttersupply.com/p-snowguards.gstml

3BF62BD6-2096-4B06-8A4C-4A36858C8223

F1CD8479-0E8D-4D68-BDBA-DA0769DA7B67

Those wouldn’t work on a low pitched standing seam metal roof.
    And on a flat shed roof like the house I’m working on having the snow slide off is better than having it build my and collapse the roof.

Which according to the news to tonight is what happening in places now, heavy snow load and rain adding weight to roofs.
    Similar to paulf’s now shed.

Never thought I would be so happy to see rain.

Another 8 inches yesterday and still snowing this morning, 40 inches so far in the last week.IMG_4620.jpg
    PaulF

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    Another 8 inches yesterday and still snowing this morning, 40 inches so far in the last week.IMG_4620.jpg
    Damn! So much for the rain shadow
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Damn! So much for the rain shadow
    The 'rain shadow' is real, but only obtains during the typical prevailing wind patterns. The conditions that produce the rare snow in the Pacific NW are a different critter entirely. Nice to get some variety. I love snow. I don't much like seeing boatsheds collapse. Nor did I relish pushing snow off our the roof our boatshed to avoid it. Just happy the accumulation was small enough that we managed. I feel for Paul, though.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    The 'rain shadow' is real, but only obtains during the typical prevailing wind patterns. The conditions that produce the rare snow in the Pacific NW are a different critter entirely. Nice to get some variety. I love snow. I don't much like seeing boatsheds collapse. Nor did I relish pushing snow off our the roof our boatshed to avoid it. Just happy the accumulation was small enough that we managed. I feel for Paul, though.
    If you love snow you can have as much of mine as you like! FREE, just come and get it!
    PaulF

Oh, I understand about the rain shadow; it only works for the usual winds. The San Juan Islands are the same way. They are usually drier, but get hit hard when the wind comes out of the northeast down the Fraser River.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Oh, I understand about the rain shadow; it only works for the usual winds. The San Juan Islands are the same way. They are usually drier, but get hit hard when the wind comes out of the northeast down the Fraser River.
    There is a free app for the phone that is called Windy, It is great for sailors.
    https://windy.app/
    PaulF

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    There is a free app for the phone that is called Windy, It is great for sailors.
    https://windy.app/
    I've been thinking about hunting up something for the coming sailing season... thanks!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I've been thinking about hunting up something for the coming sailing season... thanks!
    It really is a great program, predicted this snow right on. Showed the flood of cold air coming out of the Fraser, works world wide.
    PaulF

Up to you but I wouldn't touch a "free app" with a ten foot pole. Not after the revelation that IBM, fer chrissakes, was using their "free" weather program to track people. And google is the very essence of evil.

They can all go to hell. I am not a number.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite View Post
    Up to you but I wouldn't touch a "free app" with a ten foot pole. Not after the revelation that IBM, fer chrissakes, was using their "free" weather program to track people. And google is the very essence of evil.

I'm sorry... I cannot add you to my list of correspondents until you submit the usual personal data... <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite View Post

Do you think the paid apps are any different?