Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 456 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 175 of 225

Thread: Snow in Seattle!!

  1. #141
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    52,735

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    My BOW shed just collapsed on my Matinicus double ender project (crushed), all my tools including a 18 inch band saw, a delta floor drill press, delta joiner all my power tools, fasteners ...everything. Small shelter logic garage with Ford tractor...collapsed what a mess. About 3-4 feet of snow here. We are located in the Olympics about 5 miles from Olympic national park. Can't get around without snow shoes.
    I am very, very, sorry to hear this. We have a bow-shed inspired arched roof over our boatshed, and were out pushing snow off it y'day. As well as propping it up in the middle, just to be sure. Be we weren't sure it wouldn't sag or collapse. At one point - 12" of arc had almost totally flattened out. Crapt... that's terrible news.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sequim, Washington
    Posts
    6,116

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Sequin usually is in a rain shadow but now seems to have the most snow
    When the cold wind comes from the Fraser Valley and collides with moist Pacific air from the Puget lowlands all hell breaks lose.
    PaulF

  3. #143
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Whidbey Island , Wa.
    Posts
    15,591

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    My BOW shed just collapsed on my Matinicus double ender project (crushed), all my tools including a 18 inch band saw, a delta floor drill press, delta joiner all my power tools, fasteners ...everything. Small shelter logic garage with Ford tractor...collapsed what a mess. About 3-4 feet of snow here. We are located in the Olympics about 5 miles from Olympic national park. Can't get around without snow shoes.

    That sucks! Prolly to late to mention pushing the snow off the roofs as it started to build up. A ounce of prevention = a pound of cure.

    Hopefully the tools can be dug out , and cleaned up.
    Seems the rain shadow effect you normally get , isnít a snow shadow!

  4. #144
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Pleasant Valley NS Canada
    Posts
    16,424

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    My condolences, Paul. Snow is fun when it is a mere inconvenience, but too much is just nasty.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

  5. #145
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sequim, Washington
    Posts
    6,116

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    That sucks! Prolly to late to mention pushing the snow off the roofs as it started to build up. A ounce of prevention = a pound of cure.

    Hopefully the tools can be dug out , and cleaned up.
    Seems the rain shadow effect you normally get , isn’t a snow shadow!
    We did that, couldn't keep up.
    PaulF

  6. #146
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sequim, Washington
    Posts
    6,116

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    My condolences, Paul. Snow is fun when it is a mere inconvenience, but too much is just nasty.
    We shoveled a walkway, the snow was very heavy with water then at night down to 18F ice and you couldn't move it.
    PaulF

  7. #147
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    15,300

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    From the binoculars, it looks like the dinghy cover on Snoose has collapsed. I have no way of getting down there to it for a while, but a pretty minor problem compared to PaulF and others.

  8. #148
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,361

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    My boat has covered moorage in Everett. I keep thinking of the collapse of the boat roofs in Edmonds in 1996-- 200 boats sunk in the marina. Can't get up there to check.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

  9. #149
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sequim, Washington
    Posts
    6,116

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    I'm going to put an ad in the paper..FREE SNOW YOU HAUL!
    PaulF

  10. #150
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Whidbey Island , Wa.
    Posts
    15,591

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    My boat has covered moorage in Everett. I keep thinking of the collapse of the boat roofs in Edmonds in 1996-- 200 boats sunk in the marina. Can't get up there to check.

    Thatís a valid concern with more snow on the way today, which might turn to rain, worse case scenario!
    Maybe the Marina is being pro active, but in the end itís just stuff. Any live aboards should seek shelter else where.

  11. #151
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mukilteo, Washington
    Posts
    257

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    I do miss having a garage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #152
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    15,300

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Something the East Coast smuggies might consider, snow in Seattle is not exactly light and fluffy.

  13. #153
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mukilteo, Washington
    Posts
    257

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    My boat has covered moorage in Everett. I keep thinking of the collapse of the boat roofs in Edmonds in 1996-- 200 boats sunk in the marina. Can't get up there to check.
    Hey Bobcat, my boat's there as well. I've been going by on a daily basis and all is well so far, at least in central marina. PM me if you want me to check on yours today.

  14. #154
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,361

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Quote Originally Posted by schlaboatnic View Post
    Hey Bobcat, my boat's there as well. I've been going by on a daily basis and all is well so far, at least in central marina. PM me if you want me to check on yours today.
    Thanks for the offer. I can't imagine checking will do much good. Not as if i can shovel the roof on my own.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

  15. #155
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Freeland, WA
    Posts
    27,095

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    It snowed under an inch last night, but the deck is slick with ice, and if we get that rain-snow wintery mix Cliff Mass is warning about tonight/tomorrow in our area, then it will get really ugly. Glad we positioned one of the cars at the head of the driveway. Unless we get someone to plow us out, the other car isn't moving for maybe a week as it is not scheduled to warm up any time real soon.

    I'd say here on south Whidbey we now have a total of 10"-11" accumulation, although it is clearly less in other areas like toward Langley.

    And Paul, really sorry to hear about your shop, very unfun.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

    Resistance is NOT futile.

  16. #156
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Pleasant Valley NS Canada
    Posts
    16,424

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Ron II, snow on the east coast - well, really ON the coast - is rarely light and fluffy. Something to do with the proximity of a large body of un-frozen water nearby, I think.

    Just an update on my daughter's boyfriend's towing efforts yesterday: He pulled nine cars out of being stuck or in ditches. Two were BMW's. One Miata. One Maserati. Which raises the question - why the hell would you be out in the snow on a Sunday in a Maserati? More money that brains?
    Last edited by mmd; 02-11-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

  17. #157
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    15,300

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    How long since you’ve seen a road grader? I thought these things went out with steam shovels. Yet there is one currently plowing the road in front of the marina.

    4523093E-0FA7-460C-9243-BA527545F9FE.jpg

  18. #158
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Whidbey Island , Wa.
    Posts
    15,591

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Ron II, east coast - well, really ON the coast - is rarely light and fluffy. Something to do with the proximity of a large body of un-frozen water nearby, I think.

    Just an update on my daughter's boyfriend's towing efforts yesterday: He pulled nine cars out of being stuck or in ditches. Two were BMW's. One Miata. One Maserati. Which raises the question - why the hell would you be out in the snow on a Sunday in a Maserati? More money that brains?
    Hence Seattleís problem with snow, certain vehicles should stay stationary in snow storms. Preferably off the road , so plow trucks can do there job.

  19. #159
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    25,084

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    My BOW shed just collapsed on my Matinicus double ender project (crushed), all my tools including a 18 inch band saw, a delta floor drill press, delta joiner all my power tools, fasteners ...everything. Small shelter logic garage with Ford tractor...collapsed what a mess. About 3-4 feet of snow here. We are located in the Olympics about 5 miles from Olympic national park. Can't get around without snow shoes.
    For those of you who don't know, Sequim has an irrigation festival, celebrating the fact that the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains protects them from getting much moisture from the Pacific. But when the wind is from the Fraser River Valley, they get hit pretty hard.

    Condolences, I hope the damage isn't too great. Sea-Tac is showing about 14 inches of snow so far this month for Seattle, so you got hit a whole lot harder than Seattlites.

    Looks like the north part of Whidbey Island currently has a snow depth of about two inches, that might explain the other Paul's attitude.

  20. #160
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Whidbey Island , Wa.
    Posts
    15,591

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    How long since youíve seen a road grader? I thought these things went out with steam shovels. Yet there is one currently plowing the road in front of the marina.

    4523093E-0FA7-460C-9243-BA527545F9FE.jpg

    Last time I drove by a road being graded, LOL. There not obsolete, but they are only good at flattening dirt and slowly plowing snow.

  21. #161
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    52,735

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    How long since you’ve seen a road grader? I thought these things went out with steam shovels. Yet there is one currently plowing the road in front of the marina.

    4523093E-0FA7-460C-9243-BA527545F9FE.jpg
    All hands on deck?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  22. #162
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Pleasant Valley NS Canada
    Posts
    16,424

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Road graders fitted with large plows in front are commonly used around here to plow unpaved rural roads.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

  23. #163
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Quogue,NY
    Posts
    16,745

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    We have a lot of narrow, dead end roads around here. Instead of a plow, the town sends a payloader, and the snow is pushed/ deposited toat the end of the road, rather than plowed to the sides.

    Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

  24. #164
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    10,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Ron II, snow on the east coast - well, really ON the coast - is rarely light and fluffy. Something to do with the proximity of a large body of un-frozen water nearby, I think.
    Here in the PNW, we call the stuff "Cascades Concrete", that being its approximate density and texture. Side benefit of the maritime climate we both share.

    Just an update on my daughter's boyfriend's towing efforts yesterday: He pulled nine cars out of being stuck or in ditches. Two were BMW's. One Miata. One Maserati. Which raises the question - why the hell would you be out in the snow on a Sunday in a Maserati? More money that brains?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    Hence Seattle’s problem with snow, certain vehicles should stay stationary in snow storms. Preferably off the road , so plow trucks can do there job.

    I was up in Stevens Pass a few years back, snowshoeing at the ski area up there. The usual Cascades Concrete on the ground. It had been polished into glassy ice in the parking lot.

    There was a Porsche Carrera in the parking lot. That's something like 600 hp. Ridiculous 40-series tires. Maybe 4 inches of ground clearance, so once the snow gets deep, the thing will be floating on its body pan.

    Started snowing heavily mid afternoon. Decided to get down the pass while the getting was good. The driver of the Porsche had the same idea. No snow tires. No chains (illegal in the passes). He couldn't get off of the flat parking lot without being pushed. He'd touch the throttle and his wheels would just spin.

    We got him and his girlfriend out of the parking lot. Still amazes me that we didn't pass his wreck on the down the pass.

    Of course, he might have shot off the road and into the abyss.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

  25. #165
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    21,009

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Drove my sisters 914 out to the Black Hills, skiing, one year. Steep, polished snow climb to the ski area parking lot, blocked with several AWD/4WD vehicles taking turns trying to climb to the top, unsuccessfully. After watching a bit, I went around them - and climbed up with nary a slip or slide. Mid-engine, all-season tires.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  26. #166
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sequim, Washington
    Posts
    6,116

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Snowing right now, expecting 8 more inches today.

    Might just as well have a whiskey and watch.
    PaulF

  27. #167
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    25,084

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Drove my sisters 914 out to the Black Hills, skiing, one year. Steep, polished snow climb to the ski area parking lot, blocked with several AWD/4WD vehicles taking turns trying to climb to the top, unsuccessfully. After watching a bit, I went around them - and climbed up with nary a slip or slide. Mid-engine, all-season tires.
    My father loved driving his Karman Ghia in the snow in Maine. Of course, that car had 36 hp, not 600, so it was a lot easier not to spin the tires. 60% weight bias on the driving wheels.

  28. #168
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,361

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    The temperature at my house is above freezing and has been going up the last few hours. Everywhere is the sound of dripping water

    I have my fingers crossed that the warm front predicted got here early
    Elect a clown expect a circus

  29. #169
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    15,300

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Sports cars in the snow?! Who would think of such a thing?
    (Gee. Have I ever posted this before?)


  30. #170
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    21,009

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    I haven't seen it - but it's a good one!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  31. #171
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    25,084

  32. #172
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    11,409

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Three inches in Tacoma since 11:00.
    Gosh-A-Rootie.
    "Many a time freedom has been rolled back - and always for the same sorry reason: fear." - Molly Ivins

  33. #173
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,361

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    The temperature here has dropped. The snowfall is heavy and sticking... Not over yet
    Elect a clown expect a circus

  34. #174
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    15,300

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Snowing very heavily again here now. My localized weather app calls it light rain.

  35. #175
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ballard
    Posts
    8,168

    Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

    Obviously we have more snow than anywhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •