Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow in Seattle!!

Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

Snowin and blowin up here, going to be a interesting week.
    Anyone notice the hail that held up play at Pebble Beach today? Last time that happened was 1962 , must have been early onset global warming back in the 60’s that caused it eh!
    Last edited by Paul Girouard; 02-10-2019 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Quantity of posts is only part of the equation... and not the most important. It's the Whininess Quotient, and the shallow (to non-existent) basis for complaint that are the bigger issues.
    I'm always amused by Seattlites' reaction to snow, but given how little the city invests in snow removal, it makes a lot of sense. I sure don't want to be driving on icy roads with Seattle drivers!

By the way, did you notice how little snow Oak Harbor got? I'm green with envy!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    Snowin and blowin up here, going to be a interesting week.
    Anyone notice the hail that help up play at Pebble Beach today? Last time that happened was 1962 , must have been early onset global warming back in the 60’s that caused it eh!
    I'll take your word for it!

Originally Posted by Paul Girouard
    Classic Democrat, never waste a “emergency” or fail to call every thing a crisis!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Much better not to prepare at all until it's too late to do anything. Classic Republican?
    +1. Kinda makes one question the definition of "conservative"; It used to mean "careful, cautious".
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    I'm always amused by Seattlites' reaction to snow, but given how little the city invests in snow removal, it makes a lot of sense. I sure don't want to be driving on icy roads with Seattle drivers!

By the way, did you notice how little snow Oak Harbor got? I'm green with envy!
    Given how little it snows here, it may not make sense for the city to invest heavily in snow removal equipment. We were in Palm Springs and it was socked with a downpour when just then X President Obama could not land in Air Force One. I said to a bystander, A Private Pilot, that I was surprised the airport didn't have equipment to land in heavy weather. He said we'd only use it once a decade
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    +1. Kinda makes one question the definition of "conservative"; It used to mean "careful, cautious".
    Ya 6 to 8” of snow is a emergency.Come on man!!! Drive slow, avoid huge hills, go home early, figure it out, it’s not rock science.
    It’s Inslee’s way to get attention, period.

The part I don’t get; every Seattlite says no Seattlite knows how to drive in the snow. Who’s left?

We have an active snowman situation! Shelter in place!
    Hope you have access to a good book.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    The part I don’t get; every Seattlite says no Seattlite knows how to drive in the snow. Who’s left?
    The Patriot’s fans who are from New England, but living in the area! LOL!

Hope you have access to a good book.
    Fortunately...

I'm re-reading Jill the Reckless, by P.G. Wodehouse.

People who know they don't know how to drive in the snow?

Ya 6 to 8” of snow is a emergency.Come on man!!! Drive slow, avoid huge hills, go home early, figure it out, it’s not rock science.
    It’s Inslee’s way to get attention, period.
    How on earth does a Seattlite avoid huge hills? Even after the regrade, it's still pretty daunting. I once had a Plymouth Duster with tall gearing, and even in the best conditions, it would burn out the clutch to start on a typical Seattle hill. I bought it when I lived on Whidbey Island, where the hills aren't so steep.
    Last edited by johnw; 02-10-2019 at 10:55 PM.

Indeed. My house is on a hill and the street next to my office is an 18 percent grade

How on earth does a Seattlite avoid huge hills? Even after the regrade, it's still pretty daunting. I once had a Plymouth Duster with tall gearing, and even in the best conditions, it would burn out the clutch to start on a typical Seattle hill.
    Park at the bottom of the hill , plan accord to the forecast , maybe stay home IF that’s what it takes.

Park at the bottom of the hill , plan accord to the forecast , maybe stay home IF that’s what it takes.
    Ah. So those Seattle liberals are doing just as you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Indeed. My house is on a hill and the street next to my office is an 18 percent grade

Are you that important that you have to go to work every day?

Ah. So those Seattle liberals are doing just as you suggest.

Well IF they all did Inslee wouldn’t have to come save you with his state of emergency , which in all actuality isn’t going to help you anyway.

Paul, if your whole game here is just to snark on the governor, why don’t you just start a thread on that then the rest of us can talk about the snow?

Paul, if your whole game here is just to snark on the governor, why don’t you just start a thread on that then the rest of us can talk about the snow?
    That would be nice

We are forecast to get 4"-8" of snow Tuesday night. It is not a big deal here. I do understand why such a snowfall is a big deal in Seattle because of the lack of snow removal equipment and the hills. I lived in Seattle for years and remember just how tricky it can be to get around when there is snow. When I lived on Beacon Hill it was a real challenge to get on and off the hill when it snowed. Of course now it wouldn't be an issue because the light rail station is three blocks from where I used to live. The same applied to getting to and from the UW when I lived Ballard although it was possible to avoid the hills if you took a very round about route that tripled the travel time. I will think of my friends in Seattle while I am clearing snow Wednesday morning.

The light rail makes a difference. My daughter is flying out to Socal tomorrow. I figure I just need to get her to the Husky stadium train station. She is going to have to walk down the hill from the condo where she lives and meet me on the main drag

Default Snow in Seattle!!

I had 9 inches of snow in my driveway (more now, but I am not going out to measure). Except for the middle, which was plowed down to 6 inches by the undercarriage of the Subaru, which did not notice that there was any snow.

Quote Originally Posted by katey View Post
    I had 9 inches of snow in my driveway (more now, but I am not going out to measure). Except for the middle, which was plowed down to 6 inches by the undercarriage of the Subaru, which did not notice that there was any snow.
    At least you've got the right vehicle.

It’s a related subject, so it’s not really much drift.

But sure lets talk about the snow , on one of my jobs I’m ready to set a 34’ long 5 1/2” x 22 1/2” GLB that have to be boom trucked over the house to be set. Driveway is sloped , boom truck guy says no go until it thaws .
    The other job we’re trying to set fence post , that ain’t happening either.
    Fortunately there’s some inside work that, IF we can get to the job, we can do.
    Deception Pass Bridge currently , as of 1/2 hour ago , closed for a multi car accident, roads all over Whidbey are slick.
    Winds blowing out of the north at 13 MPH.
    Generators gassed up and standing by.

Just came in from taking the dog out. Currently not snowing in OH, winds down into single digits , and the moon is visible to the west, hazy view, but visible.

Only picked up a 1” , maybe 1 1/2” tops.

Wimps, i tell ya! You guys ae wimps.

Here you go. The mouth of the Woods Hole Passage, from Buzzards Bay.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Great, more snark...sigh

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post

Wimps, i tell ya! You guys ae wimps.

Here you go. The mouth of the Woods Hole Passage, from Buzzards Bay.

“You guys ae wimps.” Really Emily , they are!! LOL!

As my 72 year old wife shoveled our walk, my 72 year old carcass was watching Key West Kayak Fishing vids on YouTube.
    I made her some tea.
    Last edited by Jim Bow; 02-11-2019 at 01:50 PM.
    "Many a time freedom has been rolled back - and always for the same sorry reason: fear." - Molly Ivins

I got the old Ford running better than it has in twenty years. A little NE Seattle drive:
    https://vimeo.com/316445100

Yes emily, we are wimps here. When I lived in New Hampshire for 4 years, we routinely experienced far worse, with little slowdown. Of course, New England has vastly more experience with snow, is geared-up far more effectively, and is less hilly for the most part. Even in New England, though, there was a certain compliment of motorists who didn't understand driving on snow.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

My daughter's Significant Other had some down-time on Sunday in Vancouver, so he drove around the West Van - Kitsilano area in his Nissan Xterra with the new knobby winter tires and tow strap, pulling lesser cars (and drivers) to safety. His comment on Facebook was "Sunday Funday! - Driving around Vancouver pulling cars out of ditches with my trusty old tow strap.....May as well be back home in the Maritimes." (He did admit to some satisfaction in towing smug BMW drivers out of ditches.)

Isaac Xterra snow in van.jpg
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

My BOW shed just collapsed on my Matinicus double ender project (crushed), all my tools including a 18 inch band saw, a delta floor drill press, delta joiner all my power tools, fasteners ...everything. Small shelter logic garage with Ford tractor...collapsed what a mess. About 3-4 feet of snow here. We are located in the Olympics about 5 miles from Olympic national park. Can't get around without snow shoes.
    PaulF

So sorry to hear that Paul.

Sorry to hear that. Sequim usually is in a rain shadow but now seems to have the most snow
    Last edited by Bobcat; 02-11-2019 at 11:19 AM.