Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow in Seattle!!

Default Snow in Seattle!!

Two inches or less. Roads are practically empty.
    https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/seattle/

Default Re: Snow in Seattle!!

It’s polar vortex disaster!!!
    (Do you really think we’re going to get any sympathy from the East Coast and Midwest? )

I got about 6 inches in North Seattle. I live on a hill. If I go into the office today, I will walk down to the link station at Husky Stadium
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Given how badly the city handles snow plowing, this will pretty much shut things down. We already have reports of cars and buses spinning out. I hate driving in Seattle when it snows, because so few people know how to drive in the snow here, and those with four wheel drive seem to think they don't have to slow down.

The new tunnel is bare and dry.
    "Many a time freedom has been rolled back - and always for the same sorry reason: fear." - Molly Ivins

Seattle becomes a driving disaster with just the slightest accumulation. It doesn't help that the city is built on a slope. Queen Anne gets truly stupid.

Four to six feet of snow here at the WoodenBoat Forum's world headquarters, located on the far southern border of Seattle's North Beach neighborhood. I imagine we'll slide into the sea any moment now.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Watching the white water spray over the Shilshole breakwater is kind of fun. Not much marine traffic tho.

I'm jealous. Still looking for the first real snow here.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Here you go David. Not as dynamic tho without the sound and waves. 30 knots out of the North, which around here stirs things up a bit.

9EDB441C-90E4-43CE-8062-DEA57A4C36FD.jpg

We're not seeing 30 knots here on the west side of our island, but it is windy and really cold looking. Reminds me of looking out over Turnagain Arm in Anchorage. Not going back there!

Anyway.... I made muffins for breakfast. We're warm at home and don't have to go anywhere.

Jeff

West Point buoy is reporting 30, gusting to 36 from 360 degrees. There’s a long fetch up the Sound and these are some of the biggest waves I’ve seen outside this breakwater. I’ve certainly seen higher winds out of the South, but Northerlies here seem a lot more dramatic.

North and west sides of the roof are wind-swept clean. Little cornices on the south side of the roof. The dogs are having a kickass time out in the snow but only in three minute increments.

Watching KING5. Not much besides repetitious prattle, but one quote stands out. "I figured my Range Rover could make it down the hill, but I hit 3 parked cars."
    "Many a time freedom has been rolled back - and always for the same sorry reason: fear." - Molly Ivins

Four tugs just came out of the locks. 120 footers bows going clear under water then come up with Niagra falls streaming from their scuppers. A small one is towing a barge, looks like she’s going to transfer it to a bigger one. Sure not a job I would want today.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Four to six feet of snow here at the WoodenBoat Forum's world headquarters, located on the far southern border of Seattle's North Beach neighborhood. I imagine we'll slide into the sea any moment now.
    Really is unseemly of you to brag.

Ron posted about heroics at sea and you're bugging me?

You have my sympathy. I had to plow the driveway and private road before I could drive the 16 miles to the hospital for my oncology appointment on Thursday. It was a balmy 14 F with 30 knot gusts when I left home and I even thought about zipping my fleece jacket up. Typical winter day here on the coast of Maine.

Every rig in the city chained up about 0230 this morning, I had to sweep a few inches of snow off the Bronco before heading home. Very happy the 4WD transfer case worked after laying dormant for the past year.

I know you folks from elsewhere are snorting with derision, I did too when I moved out here in 1996 after living in Chicago for 7 years (and Boston before that). But this kind of snow happens so infrequently that it isn't really worth the capital and maintenance costs to have fleet of snowplows. The "local news" covers a wide area too, with a lot of varied terrain.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Here you go David. Not as dynamic tho without the sound and waves. 30 knots out of the North, which around here stirs things up a bit.

9EDB441C-90E4-43CE-8062-DEA57A4C36FD.jpg
    Wait. That’s not snow. That’s just a dusting.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post

Every rig in the city chained up about 0230 this morning, I had to sweep a few inches of snow off the Bronco before heading home. Very happy the 4WD transfer case worked after laying dormant for the past year.

I know you folks from elsewhere are snorting with derision, I did too when I moved out here in 1996 after living in Chicago for 7 years (and Boston before that). But this kind of snow happens so infrequently that it isn't really worth the capital and maintenance costs to have fleet of snowplows. The "local news" covers a wide area too, with a lot of varied terrain.
    Well, I am from Washington and lived in Seattle from 70 through 79 and back in the 50s. I remember skiing to the UW back in February 72 after a big (1'+) snow fall. I do understand that the hills and people with no idea how to drive in snow make things interesting there. But I simply can't resist laughing. Incidentally, the snow in your pic would not bring out the plows here in Maine.

Most of the rest of the country doesn't have a downtown with 17 to 19 percent grades on major streets

https://www.seattlebikeblog.com/2013...ts-in-seattle/

They laugh at us out of jealousy. I'm sure of it.

They laugh at us out of jealousy. I'm sure of it.
    Yup... I'd run with that one <G>

Snowing hard here now, but so warm, 37F, it's not sticking. Now they're saying it'll be cold enough to stick overnight, but less precip likely. So still prolly a false alarum.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

SNow a.jpg

South Whidbey. Gusts anywhere from 30-40. Temps high 20s. Sunlight breaking through now.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Now that's a nice view. I could live like that.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Yup... I'd run with that one <G>

Snowing hard here now, but so warm, 37F, it's not sticking. Now they're saying it'll be cold enough to stick overnight, but less precip likely. So still prolly a false alarum.
    Had Spanish coffee at Huber's in Portland
    in your remembrance night before last, Mr. ShopApron.
    Last edited by pcford; 02-04-2019 at 07:33 PM.

A bit of wind as well

One of the San Juan Island ferries reported a 90 mph gust and a ferry crossing Puget Sound had a window shattered by a wave

https://www.king5.com/article/weathe...ef=exit-recirc

Now that's a nice view. I could live like that.
    Yes.

But still just a dusting.

C56B97C0-869F-4799-A0AF-278911302995.jpg

Here in beautiful Michigan it warmed up a bit, but your imagination has to provide the sunshine...

Jeff C

About 20 miles east of the city it snowed close to a foot I think, no high winds. Lots of shoveling. Two people I checked with who work in Renton and north Seattle both had snow days.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Here in Ballard (Sunset Hill), we prolly got 8 inches, judging by the amount of snow I removed from the cars yesterday afternoon and again this morning. Might a more, 'cause the wind was howling this morning.

The U.S. flag at Ballard High School was frayed on the fly end. Looked like photos you see of the ensign on a navy ship during WW2 at sea.

Must have been blowing at least 25 knots - the flag was fully extended and the pole was swaying maybe 1 to 2 feet off vertical at the truck. It's a big, beefy pole, too.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

My daughter, her husband and family live near Anacortes and the kids (5, 3) are seeing their first taste of snow. The older one collected flakes in a test tube and put it in the freezer! Next year they are moving back east to Maine, so they'll get a real winter.

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    Had Spanish coffee at Huber's in Portland
    in your remembrance night before last, Mr. ShopApron.
    What... did I pass away? I didn't notice!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    What... did I pass away? I didn't notice!
    That Huber's joint is almost worth the horrific trip down to Portland. Fine, fine old school bar.