Results 1 to 32 of 32

Thread: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Upstate, SC USA
    Posts
    1,370

    Question Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    I can't seem to find the answer. I think it was brought up years ago. What would be the weight penalty for building the GIS with Meranti? Six sheets of 1/4 (6mm) plywierd can't be that bad of a weight penalty, could it? I ask because I have found one heck of a deal on Meranti if it's still there when I go back west.

    Could the ply weight be offset by using another lighter wood for the other parts of the boat? What would be recommended?

    I wouldn't be building a racer just a lake cruiser that I can tow with my teeny weeny truck.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Central MA
    Posts
    7,827

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    Comparing the per sheet weights of Hydrotek meranti and Okume as listed on the CLC website, it appears that the meranti weighs about 15 +/- percent more than the okume depending on the thickness of the sheets used. In 6mm meranti weighs 24 lbs and okume weighs 21 lbs
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Port Huon, Tasmania
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    Meranti plywood is a bit stiffer than Okoume, provided the Meranti is proper marine ply (5 ply + faces). You probably will get away with lighter glass cloth and a bit less epoxy.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    northwestern Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,217

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    The weight difference would not be enough to matter to me at all.

    Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

    www.tompamperin.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    1,410

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    If it's a lake cruiser by the time you get the cooler and goodies for a day tip in it's really ​academic

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter
    Posts
    15,545

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    Comparing the per sheet weights of Hydrotek meranti and Okume as listed on the CLC website, it appears that the meranti weighs about 15 +/- percent more than the okume depending on the thickness of the sheets used. In 6mm meranti weighs 24 lbs and okume weighs 21 lbs
    I have not weighed it,but I think it’s more than 15 percent.
    But if yer not gonna race it, I’ve found the meranti to be much much tougher ,rot resistance included.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Upstate, SC USA
    Posts
    1,370

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    Thanks, everyone. This boat will be kept light, no racer. Just an afternoon cruiser for my local small lakes. Most of the lakes the boat will see I can paddle in a day, that's how small they are. Basically, a spit compared to most other lakes.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    52,718

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    ben2

    Our firm, Harbor Woodworks, is an approved builder for Michael Storer's designs. When we built the first GIS in the Americas (and kept it for our own use), we built it from meranti, because it would be used for the family (boys were 10 & 15 at the time) to learn to sail on. I found no difficulties in fabrication, or usage, resulting from the substitution. In fact, for all but racing uses, I rather prefer the benefits of meranti.

    Mik, otoh, would feel that diluting his unarguable genius in creating such a fast sailor that is so easy to build... by adding back weight that he so assiduously engineered out... is a bit of sacrilege. I'm putting words in his mouth, of course, but we've been friends long enough now that I think I speak accurately.

    Good luck!
    Last edited by David G; 02-04-2019 at 01:57 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    dfw
    Posts
    1,153

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    The weight difference would not be enough to matter to me at all.

    Tom
    i would agree w/ WI-Tom

    3#/sheet x 6 sheets = 18#

    that's about the weight of a 12 pack(not including the weight of the ice or the cooler) ;-)

    sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

    steve

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    cincinnati, ohio, USA
    Posts
    229

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    The weight difference would not be enough to matter to me at all.

    Tom
    I also agree with Tom.
    Don't Supersize your fries during the building period and the total weight, you and boat, will come out the same as Okoume and lots of fries.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Upstate, SC USA
    Posts
    1,370

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    Thank you all. You have eased my mind about building in Meranti. Now to clear a few things away, order plans, get out there and buy that ply.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter
    Posts
    15,545

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    20 years from now you won’t be sorry

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lexington, MA
    Posts
    782

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    Boulter Plywood gives the weights of 4 x 8-foot sheets of 5-ply marine plywood 6mm thick as 18 pounds for okoume and 31 pounds for meranti.
    Six sheets of meranti for your boat would weigh an extra 78 pounds.
    That is not what the designer, Michael Storer, wanted.
    He designed the boat at 140 pounds to make it easy to move around. If you want kids to move an extra 78 pounds, that's not great.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Saco, ME
    Posts
    2,225

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    Using my CAD files for my GIS kit and the actual square footage of ply parts:
    133.6 sq ft of parts

    Bryunzeel Okoume = .63 lb/sf
    Hydrotech Meranti = .85-1.1 lb/sf (highly variable but I am liking what I have been seeing)

    So there are 82.8 lbs of Okoume parts and 147 lbs of Meranti parts (if using the upper limit of Meranti)
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

    http://tinyurl.com/myboats

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Upstate, SC USA
    Posts
    1,370

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton B Chase View Post
    Using my CAD files for my GIS kit and the actual square footage of ply parts:
    133.6 sq ft of parts

    Bryunzeel Okoume = .63 lb/sf
    Hydrotech Meranti = .85-1.1 lb/sf (highly variable but I am liking what I have been seeing)

    So there are 82.8 lbs of Okoume parts and 147 lbs of Meranti parts (if using the upper limit of Meranti)

    WoW! That is good info. I didn't think there would be that much difference. I may back up and use Okoume. For the soild wood parts and mast, what would you recommend to keep it light? I know it will be more money, but oh well.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Upstate, SC USA
    Posts
    1,370

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    Quote Originally Posted by spirit View Post
    Boulter Plywood gives the weights of 4 x 8-foot sheets of 5-ply marine plywood 6mm thick as 18 pounds for okoume and 31 pounds for meranti.
    Six sheets of meranti for your boat would weigh an extra 78 pounds.
    That is not what the designer, Michael Storer, wanted.
    He designed the boat at 140 pounds to make it easy to move around. If you want kids to move an extra 78 pounds, that's not great.
    Thank goodness, the last kid is about to go into the Air Force. I'm no gramps yet. Hopefully by then I'll be off on great adventures in a significantly larger boat.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the river, Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    4,893

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    I use red meranti plywood by choice, its tougher than Occume, much more resistant to dents and scrapes, glues well, takes paint and epoxy coating well, and is much more rot resistant. The only downer is that it tends to splinter easily and if you get a splinter in your hands you need to stop and pull it out right then as it does tend to fester.

    John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the river, Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    4,893

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    Thank goodness, the last kid is about to go into the Air Force. I'm no gramps yet. Hopefully by then I'll be off on great adventures in a significantly larger boat.
    It wont weigh anything like 78 lbs more, and if you are not a super competitive sailor concerned with racing results, the little extra weight that will be there is not going to cause a noticeable difference in the boats performance.

    John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Fiddletown, on Vineyard Lane
    Posts
    3,554

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    What is the cost differential, if you don't mindmy asking...I priced some at a lumberyard I use here in Sac CA and it was ridiculous. IIRC Meranti was cheaper than Okume...not this time.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Upstate, SC USA
    Posts
    1,370

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    It wont weigh anything like 78 lbs more, and if you are not a super competitive sailor concerned with racing results, the little extra weight that will be there is not going to cause a noticeable difference in the boats performance.

    John Welsford
    Thanks. I'm not planning to sail competitively as we don't have any established groups in my area for sailing of any kind.

    Quote Originally Posted by davebrown View Post
    What is the cost differential, if you don't mindmy asking...I priced some at a lumberyard I use here in Sac CA and it was ridiculous. IIRC Meranti was cheaper than Okume...not this time.
    I could possibly get the 1/4 inch Meranti for $65 a sheet, but I have to take it all which is eight or nine sheets. It's also an hour and a half away. Last time I checked Okoume last year, it was $130 a sheet for 1/4 inch, had to be ordered, and has to be pre-paid, but is four to five hours away.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Fiddletown, on Vineyard Lane
    Posts
    3,554

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    I've got the reverse. Okume about $70, Meranti about $140. Sapele over $300 for 6mm.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Fiddletown, on Vineyard Lane
    Posts
    3,554

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    whoops. over $200.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Fiddletown, on Vineyard Lane
    Posts
    3,554

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    HOw close to Walhalla, one of my boyhood stomping grounds?
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    297

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    Just a point...the weight differences people have given are for the entire sheets...you wont use 100% of the sheets.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    52,718

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    Quote Originally Posted by davebrown View Post
    I've got the reverse. Okume about $70, Meranti about $140. Sapele over $300 for 6mm.
    I guess it may be different depending upon the locale (and maybe the grade/supplier). But my suppliers have the meranti at about half of the occoume price.

    And here's pricing from Edensaw -- http://www.edensaw.com/MainSite/Stor...tegoryHome/373

    And - for you East Coast folks -- some comparison pricing from Boulter -- https://www.boulterplywood.com/MarinePlywood_4.htm
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Upstate, SC USA
    Posts
    1,370

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    Quote Originally Posted by davebrown View Post
    I've got the reverse. Okume about $70, Meranti about $140. Sapele over $300 for 6mm.
    The Meranti would have been more. I could get a discount on it because the man that ordered it put up a good faith deposit and didn't come back to get the Meranti. They told me they would let it go for what was owed on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by davebrown View Post
    HOw close to Walhalla, one of my boyhood stomping grounds?
    About two hours maybe a two and a half.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O. View Post
    Just a point...the weight differences people have given are for the entire sheets...you wont use 100% of the sheets.
    True.

    Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I guess it may be different depending upon the locale (and maybe the grade/supplier). But my suppliers have the meranti at about half of the occoume price.

    And here's pricing from Edensaw -- http://www.edensaw.com/MainSite/Stor...tegoryHome/373

    And - for you East Coast folks -- some comparison pricing from Boulter -- https://www.boulterplywood.com/MarinePlywood_4.htm
    Thanks. I'm familar with Boulter.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Saco, ME
    Posts
    2,225

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    My weight difference is for the parts only, about 65lbs.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

    http://tinyurl.com/myboats

  28. #28
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    upstate ny- thats north of the catskills
    Posts
    634

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    You could ‘split the difference’ . Okoume sides, meranti bottom. Put the weight and stiffness where it will do the most good.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    1,410

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton B Chase View Post
    My weight difference is for the parts only, about 65lbs.
    WHOA! All of a sudden that's accounting for a lot.of beer! You may want to switch to scotch for weight savings;

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Saco, ME
    Posts
    2,225

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    Hey when I go sailing in my GIS with usually zero other GIS's around me (except at Small Reach Regatta), I want the most out of my boat
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

    http://tinyurl.com/myboats

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    52,718

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    Here's one of the main reasons Mik specified occoume. Getting up on plane. Here he is sailing our boat, 'Sisu'... with me trying to reel him in aboard a Core Sound 20. Our boat, as mentioned, is meranti. But an occoume hull will jump up on plane just a smidgeon quicker.

    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Upstate, SC USA
    Posts
    1,370

    Default Re: Goat Island Skiff in Meranti?

    I've got some decisions to make.

    BabyThinking.JPG
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •