Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: De Blasio?

Default Re: De Blasio?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Newsom speech to the California Teachers association.

He has the wife and family that would appeal to white male voters too. He would already get the women's vote based on Hollywood looks.
    Policy wonk≠ Presidential timber.

Newsome will not be Prez.

Secretary of Education?

Yes.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    I've had the pleasure of meeting you, Tom and Oz in person. We're far more unified in our views of how things should be than one would surmise from recent discussions here.
    Interestingly, while I've only met one in person, from forum postings alone it's obvious you (we) all are of rather similar minds.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Rather than 'just shut up', how about you name the potential candidate for 2020 who you think can carry that ball into the end zone, which is the topic of this thread?
    It's rather simple. Someone will rise out of the mists as having broad and across the board - meaning, independent too - following and support. Support that person thru thick and thin. News flash. That person will likely be a true progressive.. as the independents needed to win will - yes, even now - not support a Dem corporatist. Further news flash, the DNC will likely not support that person.. and will again blame the voters. FTR, I'm not seeing De Blasio as that person.. but if he is, we (hopefully) know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    Interestingly, while I've only met one in person, from forum postings alone it's obvious you (we) all are of rather similar minds.

It's rather simple. Someone will rise out of the mists as having broad and across the board - meaning, independent too - following and support. Support that person thru thick and thin. News flash. That person will likely be a true progressive.. as the independents needed to win will - yes, even now - not support a Dem corporatist. . . . FTR, I'm not seeing De Blasio as that person.. but if he is, we (hopefully) know what to do.
    Bravo! BRAVO! BRAVO!!!

Further news flash, the DNC will likely not support that person.. and will again blame the voters.
    They know which way the wind is blowin' man.

I'm not that worried anymore.

These seditious bursteds must be crushed, and that has been made crystal clear by the current POS Administration.

Whether they survive their current term is no longer even relevant. This is their last huzzah, and they know it.

That means they must be watched for desperate moves, like annexing Mexico.
    Rattling the teacups.

I did think you retracted the olive branch just as you were extending it.
    Guilty as charged, Lew. Thanks for your post.

John, I agree with Lew. I apologize.

I also am confident that, however much we might occasionally annoy each other with postings here, that we will end up voting exactly the same way in 2020, just as we did in 2016. We are natural allies.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post

I also am confident that, however much we might occasionally annoy each other with postings here, that we will end up voting exactly the same way in 2020, just as we did in 2016. We are natural allies.

Tom
    Excellent work, Lew!

And Tom, you are welcome at my hut at any time.

Thanks!
    Rattling the teacups.

Tom
    Gotta agree with that.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Policy wonk≠ Presidential timber.

Newsome will not be Prez.

Secretary of Education?

Yes.
    Governor of California is a better office. Newsom can run and win presidency. We will know if he shows in Iowa. California's primary elections in 2020 were moved to the beginning of March, three months ahead of when they were held in 2016.
    i am just a clown and the world is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Governor of California is a better office. Newsom can run and win presidency. We will know if he shows in Iowa. California's primary elections in 2020 were moved to the beginning of March, three months ahead of when they were held in 2016.
    Too white-bread, insurance salesman, Romney lookalike.
    Rattling the teacups.

Excellent work, Lew!

And Tom, you are welcome at my hut at any time.

Thanks!
    Likewise, thanks for not holding my momentary snit against me.

As far as who the candidate will be, I was curious about Amy Klobuchar, but her recent pro-Israel, anti-First Amendment vote is a huge strike against her. I also don't know her stance well enough to know how she compares to Di Blasio. I think a committment to universal health care and raising taxes on the wealthy are my essential issues for a progressive candidate. And overturning Citizens United. Not that these things will be easy, but I want a candidate who straight up says they are the target.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I like Amy Klobochar a lot, although I don't always agree with her. Newsom has several very good ideas; the fact that he's talking seriously about addressing housing in California (the elephant in the room the size of a moderate star system) is very much to his credit - but I think he ought to wait a couple of cycles. He's young yet.

I'm getting to the point of not giving the proverbial flying f*ck about the possible Democratic candidates' positions on the issues. All of them are reasonable enough, whatever their votes on any particular bill or statements about any one thing. Any ideological differences between them are so far beyond trivial when compared with the guy currently in the White House that it would take an electron microscope to find them. Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton are identical twins when compared to Mr. Trump. I have only two questions: Can the person win? And does the person have the character and skill to do the nearly-impossible job more or less effectively? Positions on any particular issue are far beyond irrelevant at this point, except as they affect the answers to those.

If anyone has any good ideas on how to overturn Citizens United short of a constitutional amendment (which is effectively impossible in the medium or near-term), I'd love to hear about them, possibly on another thread.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 02-07-2019 at 10:20 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Good on us all. Onward to victory!
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Likewise, thanks for not holding my momentary snit against me.

As far as who the candidate will be, I was curious about Amy Klobuchar, but her recent pro-Israel, anti-First Amendment vote is a huge strike against her. I also don't know her stance well enough to know how she compares to Di Blasio. I think a committment to universal health care and raising taxes on the wealthy are my essential issues for a progressive candidate. And overturning Citizens United. Not that these things will be easy, but I want a candidate who straight up says they are the target.

Tom
    Well, it boils down to taxing the top tier, does it not? No top tier tax, no universal health care, among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I like Amy Klobochar a lot, although I don't always agree with her. Newsom has several very good ideas; the fact that he's talking seriously about addressing housing in California (the elephant in the room the size of a moderate star system) is very much to his credit - but I think he ought to wait a couple of cycles. He's young yet.

I'm getting to the point of not giving the proverbial flying f*ck about the possible Democratic candidates' positions on the issues. All of them are reasonable enough, whatever their votes on any particular bill or statements about any one thing. Any ideological differences between them are so far beyond trivial when compared with the guy currently in the White House that it would take an electron microscope to find them. Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton are identical twins when compared to Mr. Trump. I have only two questions: Can the person win? And does the person have the character and skill to do a nearly- impossible job more or less effectively? Positions on any particular issue are far beyond irrelevant at this point, except as they affect the answers to those.

If anyone has any good ideas on how to overturn Citizens United short of a constitutional amendment (which is effectively impossible in the medium or near-term), I'd love to hear about them, possibly on another thread.
    I agree, to a point, about pretty much any high school graduate being able to out-perform the SFBIC.

The central question is indeed, 'Can this person win'.

I think Klobuchar's First Amendment and Israel stances mean she's not it. With a field of 15 or 20, it won't take long to narrow it down, and things like that will be all it takes.

On the other hand, by the time all the legal fallout from a lifetime of corruption has begun to settle around DFT's ears, I truly will not be surprised to see an incumbent President Pelosi in 2020.

Good on us all. Onward to victory!
    Hear, hear!
    Rattling the teacups.

The central question is indeed, 'Can this person win'.
    Well, yes. But I thought this thread started as an argument that the way to find a winning candidate is to find a progressive candidate. I disagree very strongly with Keith's claim that positions on particular issues are not relevant.

Positions on particular issues will DEFINE the winning candidate. 70% of Americans want single-payer healthcare. Over 60% of voters (including 50% of Republicans) support Warren's tax plan.

I really don't understand how anyone could think these are irrelevant. They are the kinds of things that will make a candidate into a President.

On the other hand, by the time all the legal fallout from a lifetime of corruption has begun to settle around DFT's ears, I truly will not be surprised to see an incumbent President Pelosi in 2020.
    I'd LOVE to see them hoist with their own petard to that extent. Poetic justice is a beautiful thing.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Well, yes. But I thought this thread started as an argument that the way to find a winning candidate is to find a progressive candidate. I disagree very strongly with Keith's claim that positions on particular issues are not relevant.
    you missed my 'except'.

'. . . two questions: Can the person win? And does the person have the character and skill to do a nearly- impossible job more or less effectively? Positions on any particular issue are far beyond irrelevant at this point, except as they affect the answers to those. '

Now, you may be right that nominating someone farther left would make it more likely that they'd win. You may be right - but those are also policy positions you support, and I'd caution you about imagining that your favored positions (and mine too, in many cases) are also wining strategies. They may be - or maybe not. It's also possible to do the opposite, to cynically assume that a more centrist candidate with watered-down non-offensive ideas, not at all radical in any respect, is more likely to get votes. I don't think that's necessarily true anymore, although it may have been once, not for 20 or 30 years, anyway.

Thinking about it a little more, I'm coming to the conclusion that the abilities of the candidate as a campaigner matter more than policy. Can he or she inspire support, without producing a stronger negative reaction? Consider Obama and Clinton, pretty clear cases where the balance was shifted in opposite directions. Obama was amazingly eloquent, positive, inspiring, and very good at getting people fired up - yet did not tend to alienate people who didn't support him that much (average voters, not Republican congressmen or RWWs). Ms Clinton was at least as competent at actually doing the work of governing, maybe more so, but she wasn't nearly as good at inspiring supporters, and had an astounding talent for generating personal hatred. This last wasn't necessarily her fault at all; the right wing had been working assiduously at demonizing her for 25 years, and Bernie Sanders and his more enthusiastic supporters didn't help at all - but it hardly matters; that's what happened.

Anyway, my point is that personal skills only peripherally related to governing are very important right now, particularly when running against a demagogue like Mr. Trump. They are far more important than positions on particular issues, or particular votes in Congress. The difference between any of the halfway-plausible Democratic candidates is nothing at all compared to the difference between them and Mr. Trump. Your dismissal of Ms Klobuchar over one vote, however misguided, is exactly the sort of ideological purity problem that has bedeviled the left for a generation at least. It drives me bonkers, honestly, and it's one reason we lose elections. Now, she may or may not be the best candidate - but really?
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 02-08-2019 at 11:30 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Positions on particular issues will DEFINE the winning candidate. 70% of Americans want single-payer healthcare. Over 60% of voters (including 50% of Republicans) support Warren's tax plan.

I really don't understand how anyone could think these are irrelevant. They are the kinds of things that will make a candidate into a President.

I'd LOVE to see them hoist with their own petard to that extent. Poetic justice is a beautiful thing.

Tom

If that candidate does not get elected those things are, by definition, irrelevant.
    Rattling the teacups.

My conclusion is that my aspirations are higher than yours (Keith, oznabrag) seem to be. You are focused on getting someone--anyone--elected who isn't Trump.

I think that's a disappointingly low bar. It's nothing but "do anything so my side wins" thinking.

But idealism aside, strategically, a progressive candidate is also the way to go. Those policies I pointed out--Warren's tax plan approval at 60%, 70% wanting universal health care--well, get a candidate who authentically believes in them and will fight for policies with that much public support, and that's a winning candidate. Remember that voters went out of their way to vote for a candidate who was seen as someone who would change things, a non-establishment figure who unapologetically takes an unconventional stand. They didn't go for lukewarm practicality last time. Why expect them to do so this time?

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Let me be clear; only the candidate that is fully behind Medicare for all will get my vote. If there is no such candidate, there is no reason for me to vote anymore because it will be proof that the system doesn't serve the rest of us. A majority of people support Medicare for all, it's time.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Let me be clear; only the candidate that is fully behind Medicare for all will get my vote. If there is no such candidate, there is no reason for me to vote anymore because it will be proof that the system doesn't serve the rest of us. A majority of people support Medicare for all, it's time.
    Universal Single Payer, Legalize It, put every politician who took Russian money behind bars, actually REFORM the tax code . . .

Yup. Winning ticket, right there.

If the wrong person pursues that agenda, they STILL won't get elected.
    Rattling the teacups.

I think that's a disappointingly low bar. It's nothing but "do anything so my side wins" thinking.
    You are missing my point. I were to grade the policy positions of anyone who could plausibly be the Democratic presidential candidate, I might give grades from, say, 82 to 97 out of 100. I would give Trump about negative 32,000, maybe a bit more. The difference between the current occupant and any possible Democratic nominee is so huge that I think the differences between the policies supported by the Democrats are insignificant by comparison. Any Democrat running has ideas that are good enough, although some are better. This is not a low bar, it is a sober recognition of how awful the festering sh!tpile in the White House actually is. Thus, IMHO, other factors than their policy positions are more important.

And I agree with you that Medicare for all, or possibly a transitional public option period to minimize disruption whole we transition to universal health care, is both good policy, and probably good electoral strategy as well. But remember there are an awful lot of people who work in the insurance industry (over 2 million, the last I checked), and we need to make sure that the transition doesn't cause too much trouble. Yes, the insurance industry is inefficient, one could even say parasitic, and the savings from single payer would be very large in the long run - but we need to plan carefully for the change, if only to deny the right a talking point.

Richard Feynman

Andrew Yang?

I don't think he's 'got it', but he's pushing in the right direction.
    Rattling the teacups.

One thing I haven't seen is much emphasis on the conservative-friendly angles for single-payer healthcare. I'd like to see candidates making the argument that expecting employers to be responsible for their employees' insurance is an unfair burden to businesses, and that the economy will be boosted once they are freed from that burden. I expect just about every small business owner would like to be out from under healthcare. Why aren't candidates recruiting them energetically?

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

You are missing my point. I were to grade the policy positions of anyone who could plausibly be the Democratic presidential candidate, I might give grades from, say, 82 to 97 out of 100.
    I think you are suffering the effects of grade inflation...

But I get what you are saying, and it's a reasonable stance. I think I'm comfortable much farther left politically than you are. I don't think the Democratic party has been at all serious about embracing a real progressive agenda. If they weren't so much better than Republicans, I wouldn't feel like they represent me or most people under $1 million in income at all. So I suspect that's a point where you and I will disagree on.

Then too, when you think about real reforms (Civil Rights, Indian independence, workers' rights, women's suffrage), they were never accomplished by caution and reasonable thinking. They were accomplished by those who dared to accomplish them.

I for one would like to see a party who dares to embrace a vision, rather than a party who cowers in the wings looking for a candidate who will offend the least number of voters.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Universal Single Payer, Legalize It, put every politician who took Russian money behind bars, actually REFORM the tax code . . .

Yup. Winning ticket, right there.

If the wrong person pursues that agenda, they STILL won't get elected.
    I think we're saying the same thing from different directions--someone who gets elected without a commitment to those policies won't do any good either. Other than being 23 bazillion times better for the world than Trump or any other Republican.

So yes, by all means, find the most "electable" candidate possible. As long as they have the policies that will actually accomplish reform.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Your dismissal of Ms Klobuchar over one vote, however misguided, is exactly the sort of ideological purity problem that has bedeviled the left for a generation at least. It drives me bonkers, honestly, and it's one reason we lose elections. Now, she may or may not be the best candidate - but really?
    Well, now, hold it right there, Mr. Wilson. I did not "dismiss" anyone. I said her anti-First Amendment vote was a huge strike against her, which it is. I went on to say I don't know enough about her to compare her to DiBlasio.

I have not decided who my choice would be if it were up to me. I haven't ruled Klobuchar out. But she sure didn't make any points with me supporting the anti-boycott law.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Well, now, hold it right there, Mr. Wilson. I did not "dismiss" anyone. I said her anti-First Amendment vote was a huge strike against her, which it is. I went on to say I don't know enough about her to compare her to DiBlasio.

I have not decided who my choice would be if it were up to me. I haven't ruled Klobuchar out. But she sure didn't make any points with me supporting the anti-boycott law.

Tom
    What do you think of Andrew Yang?
    Rattling the teacups.

I'll check him out and get back to you on that. My initial look is enough to interest me.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

I don't think the Democratic party has been at all serious about embracing a real progressive agenda.
    Bingo. They are simply the 'sane', less hateful conservatives - still supporting the investor class and dropping peanuts to the working.

HRC infamously said "We can't afford to pay them $15"...

Bingo. They are simply the 'sane', less hateful conservatives - still supporting the investor class and dropping peanuts to the working.

HRC infamously said "We can't afford to pay them $15"...
    Yup!

Vaguely racist, decidedly big-business . . .
    Rattling the teacups.

'vaguely..'

Fearful of losing votes?, they ran from President Obama. If they'd had his back, McConnell likely wouldn't have gotten away with threatening and burying the FBI info on iDJT.. and we'd not be in this situation. I wonder if people choose to not think that at least some Dems in Congress had the same info McConnell (& President Obama) had.

and very decidedly..

'vaguely..'

Fearful of losing votes?, they ran from President Obama. If they'd had his back, McConnell likely wouldn't have gotten away with threatening and burying the FBI info on iDJT.. and we'd not be in this situation. I wonder if people choose to not think that at least some Dems in Congress had the same info McConnell (& President Obama) had.

and very decidedly..
    If you want to b!t˘8 about Hillary/Bernie/Trump/Bogey-man-of-the-moment, please find the Bernie VS The World Thread.

Thank you.

What do you think of Andrew Yang?
    Rattling the teacups.

We can fight about this as much as we want, as long as we remember we're all on the same side.

Richard Feynman

We can fight about this as much as we want, as long as we remember we're all on the same side.
    We can fight about this as much as we want, as long as we remember to do it on the Bernie VS The World thread.
    Rattling the teacups.

Speaking as a long-time Dem, I might vote for DeBlasio regardless of which party he declares. Compared to SAchul;tz he has a proven record of accomplishment as a progressive. Wouldn't it be sweet to see him beat Trump in the primary?

We can fight about this as much as we want, as long as we remember to do it on the Bernie VS The World thread.
    Just FYI, Durnik didn't mention anything about Hillary or Bernie. You are seeing things that haven't happened.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

thanks, Tom.

Thinking Oz wants to keep this thread for only named future possibilities/recommendations.

I feel commenting on generalities is valuable too. Others, maybe not.