Thread: Dinghy and Micro Cruisers Adventures or Aspirations

Default Dinghy and Micro Cruisers Adventures or Aspirations

A thread established for like minded small boat enthusiasts enabling the sharing of passages, helpful hints, skills and exchange of information ,creating networking aimed towards sharing and promoting event information, or starting your own raid event where required.
    Going small and simple with preference for sail and oar represents a suitable slogan.

My name is Tom and I row and sail a restored Tammie Norrie on the beautiful Gold Coast in Australia

Default Re: Dinghy and Micro Cruisers Adventures or Aspirations

Picture taken of my Tammie after crossing the Currumbin bar and getting dumped.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hey, great idea for a thread. I'm on board. Why not start off by telling us a little more about getting dumped? Bars are scary. Almost ran one in this boat:

Jennifer Votaw Crow 1.jpg

getting back inside one night during the 2013 Everglades Challenge, got spooked by how big and steep the waves were getting and opted to chicken out and keep sailing the outside coast instead. I think it was the right call--I heard of a couple of other boats that did capsize going over bars trying to get back inside.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Great to have you on board Tom.
    Referring to you chickening out I would probably rather call that prudent seamanship ,because the reality of a capsized small craft at night would certainly scare me despite all our technological advances in rescue equipment.

The Tammie capsize was a good lesson in pushing the limits of this design and a reminder of being more prepared. That particular afternoon I went rowing on the creek and could not resist crossing the bar as conditions had moderated.

Returning I managed to catch a moderate swell and surfed in without any dramas, returning I picked a bigger swell and also accelerated the boat more with my oars which led to a broach.

With the boat half full of water I was still able to row her unfortunatley my daggerboard plug had been left behind as it had been painted earlier which then caused the vessel to fill internally through the slot to the gun whale.
    Fortunatley the Currumbin bar is shallow and I was able to walk the Tammie against an outgoing tide back to the beach.

Lessons learned : the boat was not balanced properly due to the location of the forward rowing position which caused the bow to dig in under acceleration leading to the broach.
    This could be rectified by trimming the vessel with a bag of sand and moving my weight as far to the middle along the dagger board trunk as comfortable while rowing.
    The bailing bucket a two litre milk container needs to be upgraded with an additional 10 litre bucket.
    Do not capsize.

OK, here's my only bar crossing incident. I rowed out through this break on the Salmon River in Oregon, then came back in purposely surfing on the breaking waves. All was fine until one peaked and broke across the stern. That was only about an inch of water over the flat sole of my Walkabout, but I really felt the added weight and could see trouble if a couple more came aboard. No more surf playing for me. I noted that the rear deck did not stop the wave much, and have since raised the back coaming.

Judging by the size of the surf your Walkabout and you did really well, then again I have always been impressed with John Welsford designs.
    A friend and I where given a chance to sail a Navigator in the Bribie Is Classic Regatta and we managed to outsail the fleet which also included a Pathfinder.

Rgthom, I really don't want to derail what is starting out to be a great thread, but, I'm really interested in your rearview mirror. Have you posted that anywhere else with details, or more photos? I'd like to better understand your mounting system.
    Thanks.
    Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Ober27 View Post
    Rgthom, I really don't want to derail what is starting out to be a great thread, but, I'm really interested in your rearview mirror. Have you posted that anywhere else with details, or more photos? I'd like to better understand your mounting system.
    Thanks.
    Darin
    Rgthom, i wouldn't consider it a derailment

inquiring minds gotta know

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Thanks.
    Darin
    I think that is the very nature of the thread. Items such as the rear view mirror and tent setups and wee galleys and whatall.
    Right?

Peace,
    Robert

This sounds like it`s going to be a great thread, if all goes well I might be able to contribute with a little adventure Mirroring here in Germany.

Greetings from grey Germany,

Alan.

Thanks.
    Darin
    Well, it's a mirror.....on a stick

Actually this is the third mirror in many years, so I did learn some things. A flat mirror does not work, too narrow of a view. Tried a curved motorcycle mirror, that was too convex and hard to see any details. This one is a rear view mirror for a ski boat, it's the Goldilocks, just right curve with a decent view.

The boat has 3 rowing stations, I needed to be able to use the mirror at any one and also remove it easily for transport. There is a coaming all around, so this mirror clips to the coaming. Just took a picture.

-Rick

Thanks for the photo! So...about the parts that clip onto the coaming, do they both slide on the dowel, or is one glued on and the other one allowed to slide? Is that a bungee between the two parts? I started experimenting a little bit with convex mirrors for truck mirrors last summer, but wasn't happy with the field of view. I'll look into the ski boat mirrors next.
    Thanks again.
    Darin

Thanks for the photo! So...about the parts that clip onto the coaming, do they both slide on the dowel, or is one glued on and the other one allowed to slide? Is that a bungee between the two parts? I started experimenting a little bit with convex mirrors for truck mirrors last summer, but wasn't happy with the field of view. I'll look into the ski boat mirrors next.
    Thanks again.
    Darin
    Yes and yes. The top part is clamped to the rod, the lower slides with bungee to tension. A good mirror sure keeps the collisions down for rowing!

Great mirror input Rick thanks for sharing .

I still have to fit one on the Tammie especially since I started rowing in the creek which is not only used by Surf life saving boats, Dragon boats but also swimmers.

This is what I threw together yesterday. A second quickly constructed set of oars replacing the hardwood ones that came with the boat, and being Australian hardwood are not only heavy but would most likely sink.
    Two 40mm alloy tubes some broken oar stock a little shaping combined with some poly spoon oars I had sitting around.

Interesting to note while they are marginally lighter than the hardwood they are heavier than a proper set of wooden ones I do like them mainly because the spoon shape and size generates a lot of power.
    Until I fabricate a proper set of oars using Quandong and Oregon they will suffice.

[IMG][/IMG]

The versatility of my Tammie has come as an unexpected bonus not only does she provide great rowing exercise , she sails fabously.will be used for raids and as a tender for the big boat, and lately has become a provider.
    Pictured below is Nellie getting ready to set a crab pot in the mangroves at Chinderah.

[IMG][/IMG]

Happy to report we where rewarded with large pot of freshly caught crab.Yum

[IMG][/IMG]

Apologies for accidentally closing thread.
    Thanks for the notification Ben.

I'm hoping to contribute to this thread this summer, aboard my Navigator.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    I'm hoping to contribute to this thread this summer, aboard my Navigator.
    Real good I will be looking forward to your adventures.