Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Dinghy and Micro Cruisers Adventures or Aspirations

Default Dinghy and Micro Cruisers Adventures or Aspirations

A thread established for like minded small boat enthusiasts enabling the sharing of passages, helpful hints, skills and exchange of information ,creating networking aimed towards sharing and promoting event information, or starting your own raid event where required.
    Going small and simple with preference for sail and oar represents a suitable slogan.

My name is Tom and I row and sail a restored Tammie Norrie on the beautiful Gold Coast in Australia

Default Re: Dinghy and Micro Cruisers Adventures or Aspirations

Picture taken of my Tammie after crossing the Currumbin bar and getting dumped.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hey, great idea for a thread. I'm on board. Why not start off by telling us a little more about getting dumped? Bars are scary. Almost ran one in this boat:

Jennifer Votaw Crow 1.jpg

getting back inside one night during the 2013 Everglades Challenge, got spooked by how big and steep the waves were getting and opted to chicken out and keep sailing the outside coast instead. I think it was the right call--I heard of a couple of other boats that did capsize going over bars trying to get back inside.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Great to have you on board Tom.
    Referring to you chickening out I would probably rather call that prudent seamanship ,because the reality of a capsized small craft at night would certainly scare me despite all our technological advances in rescue equipment.

The Tammie capsize was a good lesson in pushing the limits of this design and a reminder of being more prepared. That particular afternoon I went rowing on the creek and could not resist crossing the bar as conditions had moderated.

Returning I managed to catch a moderate swell and surfed in without any dramas, returning I picked a bigger swell and also accelerated the boat more with my oars which led to a broach.

With the boat half full of water I was still able to row her unfortunatley my daggerboard plug had been left behind as it had been painted earlier which then caused the vessel to fill internally through the slot to the gun whale.
    Fortunatley the Currumbin bar is shallow and I was able to walk the Tammie against an outgoing tide back to the beach.

Lessons learned : the boat was not balanced properly due to the location of the forward rowing position which caused the bow to dig in under acceleration leading to the broach.
    This could be rectified by trimming the vessel with a bag of sand and moving my weight as far to the middle along the dagger board trunk as comfortable while rowing.
    The bailing bucket a two litre milk container needs to be upgraded with an additional 10 litre bucket.
    Do not capsize.

OK, here's my only bar crossing incident. I rowed out through this break on the Salmon River in Oregon, then came back in purposely surfing on the breaking waves. All was fine until one peaked and broke across the stern. That was only about an inch of water over the flat sole of my Walkabout, but I really felt the added weight and could see trouble if a couple more came aboard. No more surf playing for me. I noted that the rear deck did not stop the wave much, and have since raised the back coaming.

Judging by the size of the surf your Walkabout and you did really well, then again I have always been impressed with John Welsford designs.
    A friend and I where given a chance to sail a Navigator in the Bribie Is Classic Regatta and we managed to outsail the fleet which also included a Pathfinder.

Rgthom, I really don't want to derail what is starting out to be a great thread, but, I'm really interested in your rearview mirror. Have you posted that anywhere else with details, or more photos? I'd like to better understand your mounting system.
    Thanks.
    Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Ober27 View Post
    Rgthom, I really don't want to derail what is starting out to be a great thread, but, I'm really interested in your rearview mirror. Have you posted that anywhere else with details, or more photos? I'd like to better understand your mounting system.
    Thanks.
    Darin
    Rgthom, i wouldn't consider it a derailment

inquiring minds gotta know

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Thanks.
    Darin
    I think that is the very nature of the thread. Items such as the rear view mirror and tent setups and wee galleys and whatall.
    Right?

Peace,
    Robert

This sounds like it`s going to be a great thread, if all goes well I might be able to contribute with a little adventure Mirroring here in Germany.

Greetings from grey Germany,

Alan.

Thanks.
    Darin
    Well, it's a mirror.....on a stick

Actually this is the third mirror in many years, so I did learn some things. A flat mirror does not work, too narrow of a view. Tried a curved motorcycle mirror, that was too convex and hard to see any details. This one is a rear view mirror for a ski boat, it's the Goldilocks, just right curve with a decent view.

The boat has 3 rowing stations, I needed to be able to use the mirror at any one and also remove it easily for transport. There is a coaming all around, so this mirror clips to the coaming. Just took a picture.

-Rick

Thanks for the photo! So...about the parts that clip onto the coaming, do they both slide on the dowel, or is one glued on and the other one allowed to slide? Is that a bungee between the two parts? I started experimenting a little bit with convex mirrors for truck mirrors last summer, but wasn't happy with the field of view. I'll look into the ski boat mirrors next.
    Thanks again.
    Darin

Thanks for the photo! So...about the parts that clip onto the coaming, do they both slide on the dowel, or is one glued on and the other one allowed to slide? Is that a bungee between the two parts? I started experimenting a little bit with convex mirrors for truck mirrors last summer, but wasn't happy with the field of view. I'll look into the ski boat mirrors next.
    Thanks again.
    Darin
    Yes and yes. The top part is clamped to the rod, the lower slides with bungee to tension. A good mirror sure keeps the collisions down for rowing!

Great mirror input Rick thanks for sharing .

I still have to fit one on the Tammie especially since I started rowing in the creek which is not only used by Surf life saving boats, Dragon boats but also swimmers.

This is what I threw together yesterday. A second quickly constructed set of oars replacing the hardwood ones that came with the boat, and being Australian hardwood are not only heavy but would most likely sink.
    Two 40mm alloy tubes some broken oar stock a little shaping combined with some poly spoon oars I had sitting around.

Interesting to note while they are marginally lighter than the hardwood they are heavier than a proper set of wooden ones I do like them mainly because the spoon shape and size generates a lot of power.
    Until I fabricate a proper set of oars using Quandong and Oregon they will suffice.

[IMG][/IMG]

The versatility of my Tammie has come as an unexpected bonus not only does she provide great rowing exercise , she sails fabously.will be used for raids and as a tender for the big boat, and lately has become a provider.
    Pictured below is Nellie getting ready to set a crab pot in the mangroves at Chinderah.

[IMG][/IMG]

Happy to report we where rewarded with large pot of freshly caught crab.Yum

[IMG][/IMG]

Apologies for accidentally closing thread.
    Thanks for the notification Ben.

I'm hoping to contribute to this thread this summer, aboard my Navigator.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    I'm hoping to contribute to this thread this summer, aboard my Navigator.
    Real good I will be looking forward to your adventures.

OK, time to bump this thread and think about the "aspirations" part. With a cruising boat that can go 60 mph to windward on a small trailer, lots of places are in reach. I'd be keen to see what kind of cruising grounds people have thought about for open boat cruising. A couple of ideas to start with:

1. Great Slave Lake's East Arm

Great Slave Lake.jpg

A 36-hour drive from northern Wisconsin to the launching point at Yellow Knife means it would have to be a long cruise to be worth the trouble. Way up around 62 degrees N, ice out comes in June, mostly. Water would probably be deadly cold even in high summer. Grizzlies. Musk oxen. Looks like perfect sail-and-oar cruising grounds. The red line in the image below is 204 miles long. That's 204 miles one-way from Yellow Knife.

east arm 3.jpg

Lots of islands, lots of wilderness. I could easily spend a month or so cruising my boat here:

east arm 2.jpg

Some dramatic cliffs, but also lots of slabby granite for easy camping:

east arm 1.jpg

Looks like a bigger, wilder, colder Georgian Bay. It's got me thinking...

What other ideas do people have?

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

The geology is not that different to some areas of Sweden. Just to put options out there....you could drive from anywhere in Europe to Sweden. I met a family from Slovenia who towed a Leisure 20 to Lake Vattern for a 3 week holiday, as a test run for doing the Stockholm Archipelago at some later date....

Better in the summer when the ice has melted...

Though it can be busy in popular spots during the summer, a small boat can get to places bigger ones can not go...

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    The geology is not that different to some areas of Sweden. Just to put options out there....you could drive from anywhere in Europe to Sweden. I met a family from Slovenia who towed a Leisure 20 to Lake Vattern for a 3 week holiday, as a test run for doing the Stockholm Archipelago at some later date....

Though it can be busy in popular spots during the summer, a small boat can get to places bigger ones can not go...

Oh, yeah. Looks perfect. Now if only they'd finish that North America-Sweden bridge...

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

All right, one more post for tonight--the $.59 autopilot, self steering for small boats. I've posted this elsewhere, but it's the best simplest cheapest system I've seen for making the tiller mind itself for hands-off sailing. All you need is a short piece of line and a bungee loop with a plastic ball on it. Once rigged, you can let go of the tiller at any time and it will stay where you position it. And again, at any time, without disengaging the system, you can grab the tiller and steer manually again without adjusting anything. No need to adjust the tension or do anything at all to switch back and forth.

Here's how it works: first, rig a line under the tiller from gunwale to gunwale. I like to use a fairly small diameter line, in which case you want it tight enough so it lies snug and tight against the deck; in fact, I've found I need so much tension that I use a loop with a modified trucker's hitch (with quick release) to tension this line. With larger diameter line, you can probably use less tension. In the photo below, the bungee is already installed, which has pulled the gunwale-to-gunwale line up off the deck and up to the tiller:

self steering 1.jpg

Then take a bungee loop and wrap it around both the tiller AND the under-tiller line. You want this really tight, so wrap it around as many times as you can, and finish by putting the plastic ball through the loop to tie it off. In the photo below, you can just see the blue plastic ball on the end of the bungee loop. Notice how the tight bungee has pulled the under-tiller line up off the deck and up to the tiller--that's what you want:

self steering 2.jpg

That's it--your self-steering is now ready. The friction of the bungee on the line will hold the tiller firmly in place whenever you let go. But you can steer by hand anytime you want to, without any need to release the system or adjust the tension. You'll still be able to steer easily. Dead simple. In practice, it looks like this:

Note, though, that your boat will NOT round up and stop sailing with this system in place--it will happily keep sailing away if you fall out. I highly recommend staying aboard.

It also means a different feel on the tiller, since you're not really feeling the force of weather helm, etc.

That said, I can't even begin to explain what a game-changer this is for long sailing days. It's really nice to steer when you want, but at any moment be hands-free to eat, pull on a rain jacket, check the chart and compass, whatever. This is probably the best, simplest, cheapest modification you'll ever make to your boat.

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 02-21-2019 at 02:20 AM.

www.tompamperin.com

I'm currently building a Ross Lillistone First Mate and I've got a number of Chesapeake Bay area adventures planned. Some are just an overnight thing while others could be a week. Someday I think I'd like to try the Everglades Challenge.

My folks vacation on Ocracoke Island in NC quite often and I think it would be an adventure to sail and oar my way down the western side of the bay, through the ICW, and then down the Pamlico Sound to meet them there. The trip itself is about 200 miles long, although there's an approximately 50 mile section through the Hampton Roads and ICW where there would be a lot of traffic and sailing might be hard to come by. This trip won't happen this year as I simply don't have enough time for it, but maybe next year.

I don't know how far I can reasonably expect to row in a day, or sail for that matter. So this summer I plan to do some short weekend trips to get an idea of my boat's capability and hopefully work out the inevitable kinks. Here she is, almost ready to fiberglass the bottom and glue on the decks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jeff View Post
    I don't know how far I can reasonably expect to row in a day, or sail for that matter.
    I've found that a 20-mile sailing day is pretty typical in a Phoenix III (76 sq ft balance lugsail) on the Great Lakes. That often means rowing the morning before the wind comes up, so maybe 5-6 miles rowing in a couple of hours, than 15 miles sailing. I tend to average about 100 miles per week, but could do a lot more if I weren't stopping all the time to explore and swim. Some days I only go about 10 miles before finding a place I want to stop.

During the 2013 Everglades Challenge, my brother and I covered 300 miles in 5 1/2 days in his Phoenix III, an average of 50 miles/day, maybe. That's with 3 nights where we stopped to sleep ashore, and 2 nights where we kept going (albeit slowly) through the night. During the Texas 200, 40-50 miles days were pretty typical in the Phoenix III, but almost always on a broad reach.

I'd expect the First Mate to be similar in distance covered, though if I recall, you're using the spritsail? That might slow down your sailing/rowing transitions a bit, and reefing.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

In the SE US, there is also the "Florida 120," in April or May, sailed along the panhandle near Pensacola. They have a website and Facebook page. It's not a race.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jeff View Post
    My folks vacation on Ocracoke Island in NC quite often and I think it would be an adventure to sail and oar my way down the western side of the bay, through the ICW, and then down the Pamlico Sound to meet them there. The trip itself is about 200 miles long, although there's an approximately 50 mile section through the Hampton Roads and ICW where there would be a lot of traffic and sailing might be hard to come by. This trip won't happen this year as I simply don't have enough time for it, but maybe next year.

Do you live in Locust Hill or Urbanna? We lived across the river in Weems for a few years. You should check out the Old Bay chapter of the TSCA - at least a few members are from the Northern Neck or the middle peninsula. We have a couple of get-togethers planned for the spring - one near Mathews.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    During the 2013 Everglades Challenge, my brother and I covered 300 miles in 5 1/2 days in his Phoenix III, an average of 50 miles/day, maybe. That's with 3 nights where we stopped to sleep ashore, and 2 nights where we kept going (albeit slowly) through the night. During the Texas 200, 40-50 miles days were pretty typical in the Phoenix III, but almost always on a broad reach.

I'd expect the First Mate to be similar in distance covered, though if I recall, you're using the spritsail? That might slow down your sailing/rowing transitions a bit, and reefing.

Tom
    Thanks Tom, I had a vague idea that 50 miles is probably the top end of what I can expect from reading your cruising threads. I'll probably make the lug sail before setting out on that long adventure to make reefing easier.

Quote Originally Posted by DGentry View Post
    Do you live in Locust Hill or Urbanna? We lived across the river in Weems for a few years. You should check out the Old Bay chapter of the TSCA - at least a few members are from the Northern Neck or the middle peninsula. We have a couple of get-togethers planned for the spring - one near Mathews.

Dave
    Small world! I grew up in White Stone but now live over towards Deltaville. You'll know the little beach by the bridge for sure! I'll have to look into the TSCA, it would be interesting to go sailing with some other small boats.

For some reason the images in this post turned into links to attachments instead, so I'll try again. Another, more whimsical, aspiration: a circumnavigation of the Eye of Quebec:

eye of Quebec.jpgAttachment 31550

which is a man-made lake (Manicouagan Reservoir) encircling an impact crater resulting from a 5km diameter meteor strike--the 5th largest impact in earth's history. Good old northern scenery:

Attachment 31552
    eye of Quebec 2.jpg

The red line is 150+ miles long with the added-on side trip into the large bay, good for a 10-day trip, maybe 2 weeks:

Attachment 31553
    manicouagan.jpg

The island in the center of the crater rises to more than 1,900' above lake level. Don't know much more about it, but it'd be a neat trip. It would take you above 50 degrees N, so buggy at times, I'd bet. Pack a head net.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Eye of Quebec, thats a good one! Do not fancy the mozzie/gnat issues though. Interesting road trip just to get there for sure!

About that bridge to Sweden, i think that Elon bloke was talking about some kinda of vacumn tube under the Atlantic, New York to Sweden in 4.64 minutes or something......doctors will attend on arrival in Stockholm for complimentary face lift....

Eye of Quebec, thats a good one! Do not fancy the mozzie/gnat issues though. Interesting road trip just to get there for sure!
    In those latitudes in Canada, it's been pretty rare in my experience to have many mosquitoes during the day, or even while anchored offshore. It's only when you go into the woods, or camp ashore, that it becomes an issue. You definitely want a bug-free tent for camping ashore. As soon as the sun goes down, BAM, bazillions of mosquitoes. But anchored even 10 meters offshore I've slept comfortably without a tent for many nights.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Upon our return from a Balie holiday I was thrilled to see your thread bump Tom.
    Also appreciate the useful information on self steering and approximate passage times made good under oar and sail.

That Yellowknife trip looks exiting,with the added bonus of of great fishing for Artic Grayling or Pike if one was inclined ,or if traveling later most berries including cranberries may be abundant.

Nice build Jeff doing a part the ICW sounds like a neat trip.

I can't even begin to explain what a game-changer this is for long sailing days. It's really nice to steer when you want, but at any moment be hands-free to eat, pull on a rain jacket, check the chart and compass, whatever. This is probably the best, simplest, cheapest modification you'll ever make to your boat.
    Due to my round (aluminum) tiller, I could make an even simpler one. I just tightly tied a thin(ish) scrap of nylon line from side to side and leave it there - job done. When launching, I wet the line to stretch a loop to go around the tiller shaft, and voila - a perfect hands free steering dampener.

It was suggested by the Dutch head of Dinghygo as an interim measure to cope with excessive wx helm until I could get the mast raked right. But it is so darn useful, it will be a mainstay whenever possible. May have to switch to a bungee approach in certain cases to accommodate tiller extensions or reduce wear. For Dinghygo the loop doesn't scuff, but tends to spin the (snap on) tiller which gives perfect gliding resistance.

About that bridge to Sweden, i think that Elon bloke was talking about some kinda of vacumn tube under the Atlantic, New York to Sweden in 4.64 minutes or something......doctors will attend on arrival in Stockholm for complimentary face lift....
    Hey I would sign up for that especially the free face lift part, although my concern would be the fire in my hair on arrival.

Great pictures of your cruising grounds.

Frenchman's Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

For some reason the images in this post turned into links to attachments instead, so I'll try again. Another, more whimsical, aspiration: a circumnavigation of the Eye of Quebec:

which is a man-made lake (Manicouagan Reservoir) encircling an impact crater resulting from a 5km diameter meteor strike--the 5th largest impact in earth's history. Good old northern scenery:

The red line is 150+ miles long with the added-on side trip into the large bay, good for a 10-day trip, maybe 2 weeks:

The island in the center of the crater rises to more than 1,900' above lake level. Don't know much more about it, but it'd be a neat trip. It would take you above 50 degrees N, so buggy at times, I'd bet. Pack a head net.

Tom
    I keep on dreaming about this sail and oar voyaging (did more kayak and canoe tripping when younger) but have to wait till I build a big enough boat, probably several years down the road. Neither the 9.5' all purpose dinghy and the 13.5' mini-faering that I'm working on at the moment will be capable enough to go anyplace serious.

My brother kayaked the "Eye of Quebec" twice, once around the island in the middle more or less following the red line, and the other time into the "horns" on the north side of the crater. He showed me a lot of pictures and found the wind and resulting 2' high surf on the beach challenging. Not sure about the anchoring near the shore.

We spent our youth booting about the North Channel in an inflatable motorboat, not too far nor too different from Georgian Bay. My brother is producing guides for areas he is familiar with, that contain the most important info that you need on one page and a map printed on the back, on Tyvek. He did one for St. Joseph Island, which he circumnavigated by kayak, but I'm not sure if he has tackled Manicouagan Lake yet.

I've spent much time in The North, mostly in Ontario and Labrador, and based on these experiences I suspect the biggest consideration with both the Manicouagan Lake and the Slave Lake destinations may be the blackflies, not mosquitoes. I have spent weeks living and working in a bug net. It is totally doable, and while it diminishes the enjoyment I would still go. Not sure how far the blackflies go out on waterbodies to torment the folks in non-motorized boats.

My most immediate target area is very close to my house, where the mountains spill into the sea as craggy islands which barely shelter the bay from the prevailing westerlies. A place "in the lee of a continent" in name only; it is pretty darn windy.

Bay of Islands.jpg

Bay_of_Islands1.jpg

My more distant bucket list item is the south coast of Newfoundland, which I imagine as "Norway without the people".
    https://www.worldwildplaces.com/cape-la-hune This coast was once more populated but it was just too hard to service the remote outports and many were resettled. I plan to go there (even without a boat if I have to) before the last communities fold and the ferry services get discontinued. This already happened to another remote community I wanted to visit, Harbour Deep.

This south coast was perfectly captured in art http://www.angelabaker.ca/gallery/so...nd-landscapes/

And then there is the coast of Labrador.
    Labrador1.jpgLabrador2.jpg

Beautiful!