Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567 LastLast

Thread: 60's bands you never hear these days.

Default Re: 60's bands you never hear these days.

60´s bands you never hear these days ? ?

Well, not on the airwaves,

But sometimes they perform to packed houses (catering to oldish fogeys ), in Wembley, London, UK 2009 :

I had seen the following Beeb (think it was) skit with Cliff Richards and a group of four actors, all descended from Indian immigrants; a pair play the part of a typical middle-class Indian immigrant couple from NW India (Punjab Province), another does his bit as their London-born son, while the fourth is one of the boy´s grandmothers :

Cliff was born in UP Province, Northern India, into the Anglo-Indian (mixed descent) community who played a prominent rule in the subcontinent even after independence (1947), as some of the distinguished members of the Armed Forces, of both India and Pakistan; Cliff and family moved to Britain in the very early 1950´s...Cliff, the first British Pop Star to receive an OBE.....

Have a laugh for a change, forget Trumpy´s Wall, Pelosi is taking good care of it :

'Jambalaya on the Bayou' was first recorded by Hank Williams in the 1950´s....

Couldn´t help posting "Fats Domino and His Orchestra" rendering this number, whether it was recorded in the 60´s or not...... :

'Luis Alberto del Parana y su Trio Los Paraguayos' were a talented band, acclaimed as such not just by fans in Latin America but also in Israel, Iran, Turkey, India etc....

'Historia de un Amor':

Where's the duet with Frebby Mercury?
    Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post
    60´s bands you never hear these days ? ?

Well, not on the airwaves,

But sometimes they perform to packed houses (catering to oldish fogeys ), in Wembley, London, UK 2009 :

Dr Strangely Strange.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Purri, the Italian musical ensemble posted on this thread caught your fancy ....quando, quando, quando ?? ....

Any room for a non-English contribution to this thread ?

You could be any Dr...... doesn´t really matter to me .....but in this case, not 'Dr NO'

Composed by Mikis Theodorakis and Maria Farantouri on vocals.....superb stuff :

" .....On the seashore" is a song by Mikis Theodorakis made on a poem by the great Greek poet George Seferis. It is a poem about inevitable changes in our lives where we have to let go of things we love and cherish and move on. The song was written in 1962 .
    It is a song that carries many of the distinct colours, phrases and sesnsations that make up what is Greece and I tried to couple those with photos that carry these feelings as well.
    Here it is performed by Maria Farantouri.... "

Memories of Maria Callas ...........a people of immense talent...

Yeah, I speak some with a dialect (Torinese/Piemontese and formal Italian) pronunciation (back there in SEP-OCT) but I'm an OZ Original (Murowari). Eyetie folk music is a blast ((even bagpipes and flute). Lots on Utube.
    Purri, the Italian musical ensemble posted on this thread caught your fancy ....quando, quando, quando ?? ....

Any room for a non-English contribution to this thread ?

You could be any Dr...... doesn´t really matter to me .....but in this case, not 'Dr NO'

Composed by Mikis Theodorakis and Maria Farantouri on vocals.....superb stuff :

OK, I won't pull out Guantanamera, La Bamba, or The Twist, but here you go.

From 1968 Pentangle
    We need to protect wild places , they aren't making any more

The Walker Brothers

A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Del Shannon wrote this one.

A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Another well written song.

Johnny Rivers is backed by the Wrecking Crew.

[QUOTE=Dave Gray;5817221]OK, I won't pull out Guantanamera, La Bamba, or The Twist, but here you go.[/QUOTE}

The right o carry concealed is sacred ! Stephen King does a decent job with this Brazilian number.

On a similar note, Jorge Benjor, a Brazilian coined 'Mas que nada' in ´63, as the whiff of imminent military rule was in the air ( its on YouTube, photos and all); Sergio Mendes´ Brazil ´66 (snazzier) version is on this thread, recorded in the US it seems.

Hybriding of art forms beween people of the same nationality and/or between people across the oceans makes it all the merrier as for instance :

Phil Specter used the The Wrecking Crew aka the Wall of Sound to create one of the most iconic 1960s sounds with the Ronnettes

Wrecking Crew from Beach Boys to Sonny and Cher, and there's Hal Blaine, one of the premier studio drummers of all time..he got the feel just right, every time. Carol Kaye, after a bassist failed to turn up to the session in 1963, she switched to that instrument, quickly making a name for herself as one of the most in-demand session players of the 1960s, playing on numerous hits. It was a time like no other when excellence in all things reigned, and just by looking at these musicians and hearing Spector's perfectionism in full force. Glen Campbell and other Wrecking crew were next door on another recording session.

Don Randi - Piano ( session leader)
    Hal Blaine-Drums
    Jimmy Bond-Upright Bass
    Leon Russell- Piano (listed as Russell Bridges)
    Frank Capp - Percussion
    Al De Lory-Piano
    Steve Douglas-Sax
    Jay Migliori-Sax
    Bill Pitman-Guitar
    Ray Pohlman-Electric Bass
    Carol Kaye - Electric Bass
    Tommy Tedesco-Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Phil Specter used the The Wrecking Crew aka the Wall of Sound to create one of the most iconic 1960s sounds with the Ronnettes
    Phil Spector created the unique sound of the Rolling Stones, starting with their number 'Little by Little'. His name is cited on their first LPs (Decca label )

Phil Specter used the The Wrecking Crew aka the Wall of Sound to
    Beg to differ: Wrecking Crew wsa a group of musicians; Wall of Sound was a production technique.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    I lived that song for about 18 months!

Phil Spector created the unique sound of the Rolling Stones, starting with their number 'Little by Little'. His name is cited on their first LPs (Decca label )
    I never tied them together. I’ll give it a good listen.

While thinking about this thread i watched the famous T.A.M.I film on YouTube with Jan and Dean hosting. It’s a remarkable video. I wondered why The Rolling Stones were there and now it makes sense. Very cool.

be careful - it is nearly 2 hours. I don’t know which band comes on top. John Lennon is in the audience and a young Terri Garr dances.

https://youtu.be/8pdZJ7TkJQU

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Beg to differ: Wrecking Crew wsa a group of musicians; Wall of Sound was a production technique.

Kevin
    In my opinion - Specter couldn’t have one without the other. The wall of electronics was only as good as the musicians - we are jaded by the systems now. Layering and multi tracks were an emerging technology. The constant is still the performance of the musicians which reduced the time to make a great electronic recording.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 02-18-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Quicksilver Messenger Service, Fresh Air.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

The wall of electronics was only as good as the musicians
    Fair enough. So, were there no other great musicians besides the Wrecking Crew? Or, could Wall of Sound been achieved without those specific individuals?

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Fair enough. So, were there no other great musicians besides the Wrecking Crew? Or, could Wall of Sound been achieved without those specific individuals?

Kevin
    An intriguing question. I think Spectors genius wall comes from his layered attempts to mask the bleed over from microphones from the session recording. He and his engineer would mask the bleed with adding more musicians and more instruments. His wall of sound is musically painting over those flaws via layers. The Spector produced Rightous Brothers Unchained Melody really shows this style. Almost like a Wagner opera with the wrecking crew playing all the parts.

I never tied them together. I’ll give it a good listen.

While thinking about this thread i watched the famous T.A.M.I film on YouTube with Jan and Dean hosting. It’s a remarkable video. I wondered why The Rolling Stones were there and now it makes sense. Very cool.

be careful - it is nearly 2 hours. I don’t know which band comes on top. John Lennon is in the audience and a young Terri Garr dances.

https://youtu.be/8pdZJ7TkJQU
    I looked for my RS 'first LPs' this morning, my son may have taken them to his place, but he won´t know they may be worth a thousand quid each until they are back in my custody

https://everyrecordtellsastory.com/2...is-worth-1000/

Spector on one number ('L by L'), and on more in the following LP, similar sleeve; Spector with an 'o', similar to a young lady´s from NYC, sojourning in Rio (mid 70´s), having successfully read French at Columbia

Some more 'Luis Alberto del Parana e Los Paraguayos', who were known world-wide in the late 50´s and 60´s; this particular song is sung in praise of the Guarani Indian (ladies) of (southern) South America :

Mountain "Nantucket Sleighride" came out a bit late for the thread, but the band was rollin long before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa7pDgF8rrY

This song was played for years at all our parties. At 11 and 12 we got a music education via our local band with Ruben Blades as its leader (who was smitten with my older sister) would play for us. All the kids would dance while Blades band would play under the colored lights of the Spinning club in Diablo or the Balboa Yacht club (Panama Canal Zone) to this song then go into Spencer Davis, Loving spoonful, steppenwolf and many other covers until 1 or 2 in the morning.

Carti B tried to match up to the song with her break away hit this year by sampling this song.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 02-21-2019 at 11:29 PM.

Now for some Italian music of the sixties, hopefully not boring you to tears , but I have a Latin connection, aside from my near half-century in Brazil

https://www.dawn.com/news/749685; https://www.facebook.com/groups/124274897614199/

Rocco Granata and 'Marina', strictly not 1960s..... just one year short :

Last edited by carioca1232001; 02-22-2019 at 05:47 AM.

This song was played for years at all our parties. At 11 and 12 we got a music education via our local band with Ruben Blades as its leader (who was smitten with my older sister) would play for us. All the kids would dance while Blades band would play under the colored lights of the Spinning club in Diablo or the Balboa Yacht club (Panama Canal Zone) to this song then go into Spencer Davis, Loving spoonful, steppenwolf and many other covers until 1 or 2 in the morning.

Carti B tried to match up to the song with her break away hit this year by sampling this song.

Spent alot of time in the Balboa Yacht Club in the 70's
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Another melodious piece of music from Los Paraguayos - but without their maestro - Luis Alberto del Paraná, who had passed away by then :

Fine tune for our little Cantina.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)