Thread: New Guy With '56 Torpedo 14

Default New Guy With '56 Torpedo 14

I guess this is the right section to talk about this as I just joined. I'm new to wooden boats, even though my family had an AristoCraft Torpedo 14 when I was a kid back in the 60's. That's what had me pick this one up as it brought back lots of fond memories. Driving it for the first time made me feel like a kid again.

It's in great shape and sitting on the original Gator trailer. Had been in the same family since 1962 and is a ton of fun to play with. I've never refinished anything beyond teak on larger boats, but I'm going to make this a father/son project with my 15 year old son. I talked with the guy at AristoCraft down in Georgia who gave me some basic pointers, but given that's how the man makes his living, I'm hesitant to take up a lot of his time with dumb questions. That's where I'm hoping you folks can help educate me. The plan is to flip it and start with the bottom first as there are a few places in the paint that need attention. Not sure if I'll strip it and start from clean wood or just do some sanding and sealing before painting it. I'm sure the topsides will be more challenging to get right.

I figure I'll post some pics as things progress (and I run into more questions), but here's a shot of the old girl with a friend of mine at the helm. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated, especially from those of you who may own or have owned this particular boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: New Guy With '56 Torpedo 14

wizbangish
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    wizbangish
    Should have expected that from a Bama fan, but I'm surprised you spelled it correctly. I sure hope you boys have a sense of humor, or this may not work out.

Let me start with a couple of questions. Again, hopefully I'm doing this in the right place. If not, maybe a mod or admin can move it for me.

Anybody ever use clear Awlgrip or anything other than varnish?

After removing the trim, do I need to do anything beyond screwing it back on?

It might get more play in Building & Repair. You can move it there yourself, as the thread originator, by using the thread tools drop down menu. FWIW, there is a forum member here named wizbang who has built a repaired several boats including a few small runabouts similar to yours. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

From the way it looks in that picture, it does not look like it needs a whole lot of work.
    Does not look like you need to be stripping it down.
    Fun looking boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    It might get more play in Building & Repair. You can move it there yourself, as the thread originator, by using the thread tools drop down menu. FWIW, there is a forum member here named wizbang who has built a repaired several boats including a few small runabouts similar to yours. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Thanks. I just figured wizbang was sorta like shizzam.

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    From the way it looks in that picture, it does not look like it needs a whole lot of work.
    Does not look like you need to be stripping it down.
    Fun looking boat.
    It really is in nice shape, but it could be nicer. It will be a labor of love to make her shine like a piece of furniture.

I am in no way an expert, but it looks as if there is a reflection or varnish / finish issue just foward of the chrome transom trim, also maybe an issue on the starboard end of the windscreen ( or perhaps camera angle issue ) I agree with the above posters that this is, overall, a great - looking boat !!

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    Let me start with a couple of questions. Again, hopefully I'm doing this in the right place. If not, maybe a mod or admin can move it for me.

Anybody ever use clear Awlgrip or anything other than varnish?

After removing the trim, do I need to do anything beyond screwing it back on?
    Freebird, nothing wrong with the Awlgrip Clear range of urethane finishes.
    This is the go to product for clear wood exterior finishes and our sun is to tough on varnishes. https://vimeo.com/85767196
    Nice little runabout plus the period outboard.....should be a lot of family fun.'
    Last edited by Don MacLeod; 02-03-2019 at 02:09 AM.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Crikey she looks brand new. Are you sure the boat is from 1962? They are built now by the third generation and are all called 1956 .I suppose she could have been very carefully taken care of and stored covered indoors.
    Anyway,I also had one as a teenager in the 70,s and bought a brand new one in 2000. I pounded about 15 thousand miles of Puget Sound salt water with it and sold her about 4 years ago.
    I built 2 more in a similar style,a bit smaller and lighter.The first was named Wizbang, the even smaller and lighter one I have now is called Bingo.
    Refinishing is a tricky thing ,being stained plywood. It is very easy to go through the top laminate. Then she is sort of screwed.
    I focused on top end speed (48mph with a 40 merc),so I paid special attention to the bottom .
    bruce

why hey is there a line under some text. Did I touch something on this effing I pad. My old chrome book packed it in, now Im using a newer new dangled nervous thing.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Crikey she looks brand new. Are you sure the boat is from 1962? They are built now by the third generation and are all called “1956 “.I suppose she could have been very carefully taken care of and stored covered indoors.
    Anyway,I also had one as a teenager in the 70,s and bought a brand new one in 2000. I pounded about 15 thousand miles of Puget Sound salt water with it and sold her about 4 years ago.
    I built 2 more in a similar style,a bit smaller and lighter.The first was named Wizbang, the even smaller and lighter one I have now is called Bingo.
    Refinishing is a tricky thing ,being stained plywood. It is very easy to go through the top laminate. Then she is sort of screwed.
    I focused on top end speed (48mph with a 40 merc),so I paid special attention to the bottom .
    bruce

why hey is there a line under some text. Did I touch something on this effing I pad. My old chrome book packed it in, now I’m using a newer new dangled nervous thing.
    No doubt it is a 1956 as I have all the original documentation to back that up. 1962 is when it changed ownership to the guy I bought it from. The guy in Georgia that's building the new ones confirmed the veneer on the old boats is much thicker than what is currently being used. It still takes care not to sand too much, but I don't think that will be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Don MacLeod View Post
    Freebird, nothing wrong with the Awlgrip Clear range of urethane finishes.
    This is the go to product for clear wood exterior finishes and our sun is to tough on varnishes. https://vimeo.com/85767196
    Nice little runabout plus the period outboard.....should be a lot of family fun.'
    That sure made it look quick and easy! I had wondered about spraying the Awlgrip as opposed to brushing or rolling, so that answered that. That is definitely the look I'm going for as that looks like glass. I'm sure it would be easier to maintain as well.

I had an Aristocraft 12 from 1953 to 1961. Great little fun boat. On anything in this good shape, I would try Formby's Furniture Refinisher rather than going at it with sandpaper. Saves on the sanding and will preserve the color while helping to blend the color in any open spots. This one looks good enough to warrant going slow and for a full restoration.
    Tom L