Thread: WHIO Peter Sewell's design

Default WHIO Peter Sewell's design

Up to about 2009 Peter Sewell,s design WHIO a classic motor cruiser, was mentioned in severall threads in this forum. The availabillity of plans was mentioned and there was even a link to steamlaunch.co.nz where plans could be ordered. Nothing seems to lead to this beautifully designed boat anymore. Does anyone know if the boat still exists and if plans are still available?

Thanks
    Arthur Jacobs
    Antwerp / Belgium

Default Re: WHIO Peter Sewell's design

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...highlight=Whio

post 2101
    Pete Sewell and Whio are mentioned for photo credit.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Arthur,
    Here I am in Michigan searching for the exact same information on the same day.
    I fell instantly in love with the boat based upon video I saw on OffCenter Harbor's FB post.
    Sorry to say I can't find anything else except some CAD files here: https://grabcad.com/library/whio-yacht-cruiser-1#!
    Best of luck,
    Mark Brown
    Port Sanilac / Michigan / USA

Arthur,
    Contact info and plans available here
    http://amateurboatbuilding.com/articles/design/whio/whio.html

yeah got those files as well but there it ends. Same happened to me when i saw the same clip. Beautiful boat. Had planned to build same style gentleman's river launch because could not found anything same style but for a bit more choppy waters until I saw the Whio. Now I have seen it I must find it and give it a go building. Would be enough to get some basic lines. Could do the lofting myself. Have to see if the cad files will get me any further if I can not buy original plans

Thanks but got as far as that 2006 thread too. The link to steamlaunch.co.nz does not work anymore.

The boat very much still exists and is in constant use, I've seen it several times this season and I think off centre harbour have a short video somewhere on Whio as well, they've been out here for the Tall ships and mahurangi regatta.
    Send a pm to dhic001, he will know all.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    The boat very much still exists and is in constant use, I've seen it several times this season and I think off centre harbour have a short video somewhere on Whio as well, they've been out here for the Tall ships and mahurangi regatta.
    Send a pm to dhic001, he will know all.
    PM me with your contact details and I'll get that to Peter.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Hi John
    Thanks for your assistance. I have already pm'd Daniel as you advised me to. He confirmed your info on Whio to me and connected me with Peter. Thanks again

If you are on Facebook, look up Paul Gilbert or Aquapix, he's just put up some astonishingly beautiful photos of Whio.

Quote Originally Posted by gondarman View Post
    Hi John
    Thanks for your assistance. I have already pm'd Daniel as you advised me to. He confirmed your info on Whio to me and connected me with Peter. Thanks again
    gondarman,

Could you find out if he has any study plans available and post them or send contact info for Peter?

Thanks,

Hi John

Got all excited when you mentioned the picsbert"s FB but could not find it. By googling his name though I did get on to your blog and website. Nice to meet you. I will send you the contact details by pm

all best Arthur

From FaceBook

"Aquapx The Art of Marine Photography"
    Like This Page 13 hrs

Whio at around 18 knots she is capable of 22 with a different prop configuration ,keep an eye out for the `Off Centre Harbour's video release.`

Hi All,
    We've all been rather busy here in NZ lately, so I've only just got to checking the forum and found this thread. As has been mentioned, Whio was filmed a week and a half ago by Maynard and Steve from Offcentreharbor, Paul's photo above being taken during that filming. Offcentreharbor will have an extensive film of the boat, and interview with Peter coming out soon, as well as an interview with Peter about propellers, the prop being one key element to Whio. It is hoped that it will be possible to make plans available via offcentreharbor, one of the difficulties of being at the bottom of the world is that the cost of freight from here is very high, which restricted the uptake of plans originally. There are some changes to the plans from the original design, reducing some of the complexity of construction in places, and removing some perceived issues that people have had with the original design (only because they don't know the design details, not because there are any faults in the design).

Oh, and why have we all been busy down here? Whio's steam powered brother is in the shed being hurriedly built for a steam event this weekend (providing the weather isn't whats currently forecast). The new hull Peter built many years ago has been sitting unfinished, and now has decks, coamings etc with machinery going in, being the steam machinery originally built for Whio but never installed..

Daniel

Hey Daniel, Have you got Zeltic up and running yet? Looking fwd to a bit of coal smoke.