Thread: Macomber 15 vs. Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff. Please help!

Default Macomber 15 vs. Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff. Please help!

Hey everyone, I'm stuck in a rut thinking about which of these two boats to build next. I understand both have their pros and cons. The Macomber 15 is built using traditional methods while the Jericho bay lobster skiff is strip construction sheathed with fiberglass. This will my third build, and I feel confident in my abilities to tackle either construction type.

Uses:
    - I live a 1/4 mile from the Connecticut river, so mainly cruising the boat up and down the river. I'd also like to take it into the Long Island sound once and while to tour the harbors and thimble islands, however, nothing offshore.
    - I'd like to fit a maximum 4 people in the boat. This would rarely happen but I'd like to keep the opportunity to take my parents and girlfriend out for a scenic cruise and picnic.
    - Both hulls will plane however speed is not a factor
    - The boat will most likely be trailered, although we have been discussing keeping it in the water locally.

Factors:
    - The Macomber 15 is a few inches shorter but boasts almost 10" in beam over the Jericho.
    - The past two boats I built have been encapsulated, and while it certainly had it pros, most of the build time was working with epoxy rather than wood.

Most importantly cost and timeline!
    - Cost: Does anyone know which would be the least expensive option? The Macomber will be more expensive in terms of lumber and fasteners, however the Jericho will need to be sheathed.
    - Timeline: I would like this to be a winter - spring project and have the boat splashed by June/July. I am having difficulty sourcing the planking lumber (1x12x6 clear EWP) for the Macomber so that may effect the timeline. I am in love with both designs so the shorter build time may win in this scenario.

Thanks to any help!

Default Re: Macomber 15 vs. Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff. Please help!

Jericho, sweet boat.

Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan

For the record, I have a heavy bias and have never built a Macomber 15.

The Jericho could be completed in your timeline, but it isn't an easily accomplished task by spring. I wish I could give you either an hours or cost estimates, but I did't really track either accurately. I suspect the Jericho will take more time and at least some of the epoxy sheathing tasks are best accomplished with a partner. Without doing a materials take off I would also suspect the Jericho will cost more to complete.

Woodenboat Magazine did an excellent spread on the Jericho a while back and that would be worth looking up online if you go down this road. It might help you estimate your time requirements more accurately.

The Jericho is very capable of living either on a trailer or in the water since the entire hull is fiberglassed.

The beam of the Jericho is narrower as mentioned, but it does allow a turn of speed with a small motor. You don't mention if you already have an outboard you plan to use, but be ready for that expenditure.

The Jericho can take four for a picnic very comfortably at a leisurely pace. At speed it could be a wet ride, but it would get you there safely.

As much as we love our Jericho, given what you are laying out as priorities, I think I would direct you toward the Macomber. It looks to be a simple build that could be accomplished on your timeline. It would involve a lot of woodworking and without knowing your skill set and shop access that could be the game changer. The Jericho is built with goop so it is likely more forgiving, but the finish work/ furniture allows you to show off a bit if you wish. (also adds time)

I suspect the flat bottom of the Macomber will give you a rougher ride at all but the slowest of speeds, but it should "cruise" along comfortably.

Do you have both sets of plans and build notes? I know it hurts to spend on something you ultimately might not use, but that is where I would begin.

Good luck and enjoy your build.

Thanks for your reply jtdums. Were your seats encapsulated and glued to the hull? I’m not worried about vapor/moisture getting to the hull because of the fiberglass, but I do worry about parts of the boat encapsulated only with epoxy. I’m leaning towards the Jericho because every mill I call cannot supply suitable planking material for the Macomber. Beautiful boat by the way!

Does it have to be Eastern White Pine? The blurb in this video mentions that the boat was built out of "Seple, Cypress and Oak". (I think seple is sapele.) Have you contacted the designer for alternate planking stock. That boat sure is a looker.

Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenboatsarebetter View Post
    Thanks for your reply jtdums. Were your seats encapsulated and glued to the hull? I’m not worried about vapor/moisture getting to the hull because of the fiberglass, but I do worry about parts of the boat encapsulated only with epoxy. I’m leaning towards the Jericho because every mill I call cannot supply suitable planking material for the Macomber. Beautiful boat by the way!

I did both encapsulate and glue in the benches. I think a little bright work looks nice, but you could certainly paint them if you are worried about durability.

I would think there would be substitute material that would work for the Macomber. There are a lot of traditional choices that might make sense.

Armchair opinion here, but the Macomber looks like it would go together quite a bit quicker that the Jericho if your timeline is a major factor. Sheathing in the winter can be challenging unless you have a conditioned space to build in.

Both are beautiful, simple boats and I don't think you could go wrong with either. I've had my eye on CLC's Peeler skiff for a while for a boat that my dad could knock around in.

Mike
    "You may be orange, you may like hamburgers, and you may be a clown, but you sir are no Ronald McDonald" - John Stewart

Well, finding the eastern white pine isn’t the problem, it’s finding them without being kiln dried. Could kiln dried planking be an option? The lines of the Macomber are not overly tight as it’s a work skiff. I’ve read pretty deeply into this debate on the forum and opinions seem to vary widely.

The macomber is a new one on me, sweet lines, but what first sprung to minds as an option between the two, would be a Lumberyard skiff.

https://www.oldwharf.com/new-blog/20...del-t-of-boats

Apologies for thread drift if you have already considered this, but it seems it does not have the timber selection, or the amount of sheathing issues of the two you have already chosen. I hear a hull can be put together in 40 hours, so i reckon it is well within your deadlines. A nice paint finish and some wood trim can really set of a simple boat.

A plywood bottom rather than cross-planking would be better for the Macomber 15 if the boat will be stored out of the water. Leave a cross-planked bottom out of the water for a few weeks and will probably leak when launched.

As mentioned above the side planking could be a number of different woods or plywood.

A biased opinion, have fished my JBL in the Ct. river for the past 5 years, it's a great little river boat for that water with two conditions, 1. not a good place to be with a hard south wind, and, 2. not a good place to be on summer weekends, the go-fasts have no mercy on small boats. My JBL was extended to 16'2' by stretching out the mold locations from the max beam point, easy and no performance effects. The beam could be increased but that would take mold modifications and some lofting. Some I've seen in WB have been lengthened to 18' but even going to 17' you're looking at adding a little more power. IMO the hull of the JBL would be a little more forgiving in those waters than a flat bottom.