Thread: Wooden boatbuilding opportunities?

Default Wooden boatbuilding opportunities?

Hi, Iwas wondering if anyone can help me? I've been a Cabinet Maker/ Bench Joiner since graduating college in 2002. I am also a graduate of the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding in WA USA (class 07). Basically I'm looking for opportunities in traditional wooden boatbuilding and restoration. I have a particular interest in clinker built and traditional lake craft. Saying that I'm open to all opportunities that have a bias towards traditionally built boats. I'm located in the UK but willing to relocate anywhere worldwide.

Any opportunities would be muchly appreciated.

Matt.

Good luck. I'd say it's a case of who you know as much as what you know. Or set up your own shop until you run out of money. Seriously, good luck, I hope you get a break. There is still some boatbuilding going on in Tasmania, but a job? Hmmmm.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Wooden boatbuilding opportunities?

One option I've seen local boatbuilders use is to set up your own shop, then work with clients and help them build their boat in your shop. Not sure about the laws in the UK, but Stateside it gets you off the hook of building vehicles for resale. So in effect you're renting then space in your shop and consulting with them on the build -- even if you do the majority of the work.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I've thought about opening my own shop, currently working as a self employed joiner, working out of my van. Rent on a shop in the UK is expensive from what I've researched, not to mention machinery needed and shop setup. Plus I was looking to get some more experience behind me. I have done some contract work, with few months here a year there, but was looking for something permanent, so I might settle down. Thanks for the insight though.

That doesn't sound like a boatbuilder. Seriously, to make a living building boats you would have to be very creative and not at all put off by a challenge. There must be spaces available cheap. Maybe a government sponsored arts hub. Maybe a youth employment/engagement program. Maybe you could create a boat building course at a community college. Or a prison. Maybe there's an abandoned petrol station near you. I just remembered when I was young a boatbuilder was hired by a family friend to build him a boat, in our shed. You don't need an expensive set up to build traditional boats. A thicknesser and a band saw is good plus some hand tools. eBay, Gumtree, garage sales. $2000 should be ample to get you started.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Or try going where traditional boats are being built. Living here in Downeast Maine I see ads for boatbuilders in our local paper. Brooklin, Maine advertises itself as the "wooden boatbuilding capital of the world." When visiting Scotland we visited several boating museums, might be places to try.
    Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Huckins Yachts in Jacksonville, Florida is currently advertising for employees. I believe Rockport Marine in Rockport, Maine is also. Check Professional Boatbuilder Magazine online for their employment ads. You will likely need to have an answer to why you haven't been building full time since your 2007 graduation from NWSB and what you've been doing to maintain your skills. Photographs, references and records of boatbuilding and related work will help.

You may also want to check active museum programs: currently in the US Mystic has a big restoration project going and has ongoing projects. Chesapeake Bay Maritime has a big building project starting up. If you want to stay in the UK you'll need to comb out the yards that work in restoration for which there is much more demand than new builds and until Brexit kicks in check on the mainland as well. Most of these yards would be advertising in mags like Classic Boat, Watercraft etc.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Theres a guy under the handle Jstarboats who has a thread going now. Apparently he is in Essex. You might contact him.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...allenges-ahead
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Check with https://www.bristolmarine.com/ They are working on 2 big wood schooners at their Boothbay Harbor, ME shipyard.

Leo Goolden, who is rebuilding Tally Ho in WA state is always flying back to England to work on boats at some big shops. Check out his YouTube videos.