Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I ruined my bench

Default Re: I ruined my bench

Hi Denise,

I am a bit envious as my segments never were precise enough had too thick gluelines. I started to use dust masks with replaceable filter-elements and am considering one of these face shields with the air blower for sanding on the woodlathe, especially when I am sanding spalted wood. My bench is currently buried under easter egg blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ufi73 View Post
    Hi Denise,

I am a bit envious as my segments never were precise enough had too thick gluelines. I started to use dust masks with replaceable filter-elements and am considering one of these face shields with the air blower for sanding on the woodlathe, especially when I am sanding spalted wood. My bench is currently buried under easter egg blanks.
    Ha!'over the years I've made two sleds for the table saw and I still go back to my incra miter gauge and trust me on this when I say it, I have plenty of trouble with the segment joints! Since I've gone to 12 segments instead of eight on each ring they fit better, I always thought less joints more accuracy but apparently it works just a reverse.

Lately, Be like what should I do with my tea cup collection? find another hutch to store all my turnings"?

And pics of my sanding 12" disc for flattening segment rings, and I made a box with the tilt top came out, pretty good, I haven't used it yet. One of the characters on The Facebook woodturning group said it looks like I was copying the shopsmith machine. I don't know why, I felt insulted, but I never thought those shopsmith all-in-one shops were something I would ever want.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Denise, we had an original old Shop Smith in our sign shop and used it for exactly what you are using your Jet lathe for. You just took me back fifty years!
    I highly recommend a blower fan dust mask with a replacable cartridge. If I work with plywood I am forced to use a toxic fume filter. Hate that stuff!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 02-05-2019 at 12:07 PM.

I have a 2 horsepower dust collector down the other end of the basement but I moved the lathe under the front porch which would have been the coal storage room back in the day. Sanding the rings does make a lot of dust!

I'm practicing on my turnings to do less and less sanding by using a very heavy bowl scraper,. I also practice with the skew, I can actually take a piece of 4x4 pine turn it into a 3 inch round dowel with a smooth surface and not use sandpaper.

Shopsmith goes way back, way way back! 🤣 I think there was another manufacturer that made some sort of all-in-one machinery I can't remember the name of it it was much bigger kind of like the Cadillac of shopsmith type of equipment.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Holy Cow! That is to a Shopsmith what a Bugatti Royale is to a model T!

sorry for the thread drift
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Holy Cow! That is to a Shopsmith what a Bugatti Royale is to a model T!
    that's a 16" wide jointer!

and check out the tilting table table saw. . .

IMG_0553.jpg
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Thank you Paul!!
    Here's a YouTube of the machine running, move over shopsmith!
    https://youtu.be/TJhaJeP3SD0
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 02-05-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Hi Denise,

I'll copy your tilting table for the wood lathe, that looks neat. And the results are stunning... I'll give it another try after I am done with the 70 easter eggs our family orderd and the patterns for my bronze casting project (that has priority as it is for boat parts).

Hi Denise,

I'll copy your tilting table for the wood lathe, that looks neat. And the results are stunning... I'll give it another try after I am done with the 70 easter eggs our family orderd and the patterns for my bronze casting project (that has priority as it is for boat parts).
    Awww, thanks! Here are some more pictures it's basically four pieces of 2 x 6, a cross piece with a long carriage bolt to a piece underneath the lathe to hold it in place Particle board top, some laminate flooring. The most fun and learning experience was making the plywood adjustment brackets the knobs came off I think a router base or one of my canoe carrying yokes.
    Oh, I made the miter slot with the laminate flooring then ran a router between that space to get a perfect slot depth for the miter gauge. I have a really short pattern bit with bearing

Ingenious

Nice! I just have an el-cheap-o oscillating belt sander (Rigid). My lathe is just a little mini-lathe I use for turning handles and stuff. I guess I ought to graduate to a real tool some day, but...

Wow! I just saw the photos on my desk top monitor! One justgets used to seeing things "small" on the cell phone..we forget full size thing like desk top pcs LOL

Here is what I did for my bench- I made one split top longer than the other. This let me work the patternmaker’s vise from three sides. I put t-track so that I can mount a tool tray there when I need it. Also, the center strip of the bench has a small tray on one side, and on the flip side it doesn’t. I like options.

Here is a video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O6-ytBntzgM
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the pictures, Denise, printed out and put in the to-do file. Always surprises me what I can learn here in the WB forum.

Thanks for the pictures, Denise, printed out and put in the to-do file. Always surprises me what I can learn here in the WB forum.
    I haven't actually used that contraption yet. It would probably come in real Handy if I were building my own sander with a motor and a large metal disc .

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Here is what I did for my bench- I made one split top longer than the other. This let me work the patternmaker’s vise from three sides. I put t-track so that I can mount a tool tray there when I need it. Also, the center strip of the bench has a small tray on one side, and on the flip side it doesn’t. I like options.

Here is a video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O6-ytBntzgM
    Malcolm you got to start using that shop, looks like a museum! 🤣 Beautiful bench beautiful setup I love seeing all the variations on these workbenches and I chuckle when people "say do you have plans?"

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    Malcolm you got to start using that shop, looks like a museum! 藍 Beautiful bench beautiful setup I love seeing all the variations on these workbenches and I chuckle when people "say do you have plans?"

Thank you, Denise. The shop is in my house, just adjacent to the downstairs bedroom, so I have to keep it neat. The still image I shared shows the rudder stock for the 6m Whaler that I'm building, and just behind it, if you look closely, you can see the bronze gudgeons and pintles just back from the foundry! The slatwall was the key to keeping the shop neat. It's very easy because everything has a designated space, and it's easy to reach and get to that space to put stuff back properly. Before that... well... let's just say it wasn't that organized!!!!! :-)

By the way, the Whaler is getting built in pieces in that shop, then taken to an outdoors location to be assembled kind of like a kit. It's a fun challenge building a 20' boat in a 15' shop.

I guess I should show off the finished lathe project I'll call it big & little mo.

I had this vision in mind and it came out exactly that way and, I hated it. So I made the base smaller, still hated it.

Finally in the moment of passion I ripped the bottom off!
    The last photo is the finished product 🤔

Titebond 3 makes an incredible bond even on the end grain between the segments!
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 02-12-2019 at 08:45 PM.