Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I ruined my bench

Default I ruined my bench

I ruined my beautiful bench to "improve" it, omg!! what have I done? Actually, I wasn't very successful at keeping the top uncluttered so I can actually use it as a workbench instead of horizontal storage. So.... I made a tool tray with separation for the cutting tools! I never liked tool trays attached to tables because they collect so much dust... under the bench storage really wasn't working out for me either because I don't like bending over, and all the dust was just laying on top of the shelf so I'll open up the bottom without a shelf then I can sweep under there. 😥🤔🤣.
    ( I'll have a better picture with the new tool tray later on today when I get the top cleared off)
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 01-31-2019 at 02:05 PM.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Default Re: I ruined my bench

I prefer cabinets with doors and drawers. I bought a big 19 draw metal tool chest a few years ago and is the best thing I ever did to keep my tools organized.

Tool trays that are incorporated into a bench have never made any sense to me, at all. Ostensibly, their purpose is to provide a place to place a tool where said tool won't interfere with a large work item being held on the bench top. But invariably, that item being worked will block access to the tray where the tool is. That's the tool one needs to do some work. It's a big Catch 22 that is easily dodged simply by not having the tool tray.

Unfortunately I have no suggestions for how to become a neat worker. My bench top is often in a state of chaos and must be purposely cleared prior to doing anything of reasonable size. I am one of those who must have been genetically modified to possess an innate desire to fill all horizontal surfaces with abandoned "stuff."

Good luck with this, Denise.

Jeff

Well now, that I'm not actually building boats, and working on smaller stuff like segmented and green wood turnings off the lathe, the tray attachment may work out,. It comes off pretty easy if I decide to do away with it, but after four years a benchtop clutter, tool tray clutter may be the lesser of two evils 🤣, under bench storage just wasn't working for me, I'm the same way my kitchen I just don't like bending down to get stuff out of cabinets and drawers.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Well, that's the great thing about a wood work bench. Its easily changed and adapted to the project at hand. Its not an heirloom china cabinet. Form follows function. Nice work Denise!
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Thank you Ben!

Nice set up Denise! I do like having a storage tray on the back side of my bench as well. I did put ramps in the ends to help brushing out the debris. Do the tools you hang on the end of yours ever interfere with your work?
    I am impressed with what you have done! Incidently this bench was made from an old bench given to me by a friend. It had no dog holes or
    vises. It was just a through bolted top on a rickety base made of 2x4's. I would never make a top out of 2xstock too soft! Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 01-31-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Jay, thank you! I was thinking wire mesh would be better than a plywood bottom, but for now it's plywood,. I'm a lefty so the tools on the far left hanging on the end don't seem to be a problem,. Most of the time they won't even be hanging there anyhow, I'm just terrible about putting tools back where they belong, 😨

That is a workable solution to the dust accumulation Denis. I never thought of that! But then, I might loose a lot of small parts that migrate into the tray. I clean my tray out at least every three months whether it needs it or not. Sometimes the small parts go up the vac hose! I have another bench in the works at this time. I like your set up and will defiantly be building a tail-vise like yours!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 01-31-2019 at 03:19 PM.

I prefer cabinets with doors and tight drawers. As well as the usual rodents we have native rats and other small animals that like to come inside the shed in winter. My bench is about 90 years old, an ex HM prison model with initials carved in the sides.

I'm one of those people that puts things in drawers and cabinets to keep them safe and then when I go to look for then I can't find them ever again....😊

I've snagged several filing cabinets for storing tools and hardware.
    I even labeled quite a few of them.
    Not a perfect solution,but better than having stacks of stuff that doesn't stack and my bench is easier to keep clear.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

To each their own. I personally hate these kinds of storage solutions, but if Denise is happy with it I am happy for her.

/Mats
    Yes the avatar depicts me; yes I drew the comic boat pic, it's a joke on the pop song I'm not a robot by Marina and the diamonds

Hey Denise...wanna come ruin mine? I've found the only way I can keep mine halfway clean is to have a backbench where I toss tools. Sorta works, but in reality both ​just get covered with crap. I need more wall space where I can hang stuff. Love your bench with or without the trays!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Hey Denise...wanna come ruin mine? I've found the only way I can keep mine halfway clean is to have a backbench where I toss tools. Sorta works, but in reality both ​just get covered with crap. I need more wall space where I can hang stuff. Love your bench with or without the trays!
    Thank you! Well I did originally build it with out the tool trays but after four years of under the bench storage not workout very well I'm going to give it a try like I said above, it's easy enough to take off again although I'm already liking it, and yes it takes me a day or two to finally empty the dishwasher for the same reasons 🤣

Makes sense to me! I've found there's a sweet spot between chaos and obsessive tidiness that comes from having to make a living in a shop. I would not hesitate to add tool trays if I thought they would speed me up or save me effort.

Mike
    "You may be orange, you may like hamburgers, and you may be a clown, but you sir are no Ronald McDonald" - John Stewart

Well I finally got underneath the bench and cleaned it all out wow! what a mess.

I just remembered, from my original plywood top bench that is now against the wall. I have three sets of 24in full extension drawer glides.. the actual space for a "under bench cabinet" on my bench is; 39.75"w x 16"h x 25"d... maybe someday..... But not just yet!
    Picture to ponder ...Sjobergs
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 02-01-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Denise, I feel your pain.
    Let me add another angle: In a perfect day in my shop I would turn on the lights in the morning and find the bench’s, the tools, and the floors all swept clean. Then I would jump into the days tasks- sawing, planning, routing, clamping, gluing- just tackling the jobs and doing them to the best of my ability. In my mind, that always results in a big mess- of shavings on the floor, tools and tooling spread all over, sandpaper, rags, etc. if I picture this mess, I feel like I have accomplished something.
    Then the last picture of the day would be be me putting away tools, sweeping off bench’s and .
    finally the floor, and shoving it into the trash can (there would also be a cold beer following me around the shop)
    Sigh...this perfect vision does not always include that final step, and I enter the shop and say, “Crap, who didn’t clean up their stuff!”
    Then I remember that I no longer have a full service boat repair and building yard and dozens of employees...it is just me making messes now.
    As Pogo said, “We have met the enemy, and he is us”

I believe that's why they used to have apprentice programs To misquote Pogo: "I have met the Apprentice....and he is ME!"

at my age I'm wondering if every time I do a clean up and put things away if it's a subconscious need to "get my house in order" lol

I'll be thinking that when I start giving my tools to my kids 'Til then it's "MESS ON!"

I have to agree with those of you who like drawers and doors. These are made of poplar with knobs made of black walnut. Drawers have sides and bottoms laminated of Pauwlonia Wood which draws moisture and keeps the chisles from rusting.

Thing is, I don't really live in the shop, I basically go down there to keep my sanity. Woodworking, woodturning and boat building, quele the Gypsy within who's never going to be happy in one place that is stuck on fixed income and a mortgage. Lol

it's going to be all I can do to finish up the restoration on the Delaware Ducker or sitting in my backyard.

Most of the stuff that was on the floor and under the bench is now on top of the bench LOL, but I think I'm on a roll. I'll continue clearing it off.

I've also found a bunch of Maple around the basement, I'm going to make my daughter a cutting board,

Pics:
    Right after I cleared the benchtop I took a rough cut board that was left over from the bench build and set it up to pretend I was going to plane & true it by hand, to show on a woodworking women's group on Facebook. Turns out it's a super hard piece of maple (more gnarly than Beech) forget that!

And the spoked ring is February's project it's about 15 in diameter going to be a large chip and dip centerpiece bowl, yes it is a cross-grain glue up and no, I have not had many problems with that type of glue up because I don't make a solid bottom.
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 02-02-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Love it!
    Jay

Jay it's funny most of that Maple came from the top bolster board of a sleigh bed headboard I salvaged. the rest was almost all MDF so I didn't feel guilty about recycling repurposing the maple.

Tell us about your large.

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    Thing is, I don't really live in the shop, I basically go down there to keep my sanity. Woodworking, woodturning and boat building, quele the Gypsy within who's never going to be happy in one place that is stuck on fixed income and a mortgage. Lol

it's going to be all I can do to finish up the restoration on the Delaware Ducker or sitting in my backyard.

Most of the stuff that was on the floor and under the bench is now on top of the bench LOL, but I think I'm on a roll. I'll continue clearing it off.

I've also found a bunch of Maple around the basement, I'm going to make my daughter a cutting board,

Pics:
    Right after I cleared the benchtop I took a rough cut board that was left over from the bench build and set it up to pretend I was going to plane & true it by hand, to show on a woodworking women's group on Facebook. Turns out it's a super hard piece of maple (more gnarly than Beech) forget that!

And the spoked ring is February's project it's about 15 in diameter going to be a large chip and dip centerpiece bowl, yes it is a cross-grain glue up and no, I have not had many problems with that type of glue up because I don't make a solid bottom.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Denise, there should be no guilt in giving wood a second life! One of my friends turned a Navy life boat into a small ketch and named, "Stolesumwood". He added a ballest keel, raised the sheer amidships and made a pretty nice overnight and weekend cruiser out of her.
    Jay

it was in really bad condition. No guilt! I did get a pretty good pile of maple out of this headboard it was basically a glue up of 1.5" boards

I think Pless means lathe.

I enjoy reading your continuing adventures with your work bench, Denise.
    Steve Martinsen

In German a wood lathe is a Holzdrehmaschine.
    Jay

Actually in German a wood lathe would be a "Drechselbank", a metal lathe would be "Drehbank". We are turning on benches, and reserve the word machine for more advanced equipment ;-)

Uwe

Mahogany dust makes me sneeze

Yes I meant lathe. dyac!
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ufi73 View Post
    Actually in German a wood lathe would be a "Drechselbank", a metal lathe would be "Drehbank". We are turning on benches, and reserve the word machine for more advanced equipment ;-)

Uwe
    Aha, I speak just enough German to get myself in trouble. Thanks for the correction!
    Schuss,
    Jay

Cherry, Cedar white and red ranked as second third fourth... But I love the smell of varnish! 🤔😨