Thread: Trailer Spindle

Default Trailer Spindle

I have a 1959 Century Resorter on what is possibly the original trailer.

I noticed that the spindle is bent and am trying to find a replacement but I am unable to find anything online that resembles this style. I don't have exact measurements, but it is roughly 8" long and the nut on the backside looks to be either 1" or 1 1/4"?

Does anyone know what sort of spindle this is and where I might be able to purchase a replacement?

image001.jpgimage002.jpgimage003.jpgimage(1).jpg

Thanks
    Dave

Default Re: Trailer Spindle

I like these guys for trailer stuff that's less than common. A Seattle based company.

https://sixrobblees.com/
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Straight spindles are readily available. First step is to use a micrometer or caliber to measure the diameters. A machine shop or someone knowledgeable with a metal lathe could put a thread on the end of a straight spindle and turn a shoulder if needed. I wonder if the spindle is welded in place and the nut only holds the shock mount in place.
    https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tra...SAAEgLjdPD_BwE
    https://www.trailerpart.com/c-6-trai...-spindles.aspx
    https://www.easternmarine.com/Trailer-Axle-Spindles/

Great advice! Try to pull the bent spindle and see how difficult that process is. With all that bending force on that one wheel, how are the others?
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

How about a picture that looks into the spindle but a little from the side?
    I can really tell how it is mounted.

Northern tool has trailer parts - if one is near you.

Accurate measurement are going to be necessary.

If the spindle is bent, it is not large enough.

Thanks for the quick responses. I have emailed Six Robblees and several other companies to see if they can assist.

@David Cockey, I think you are right about having a straight spindle machined to fit. Once I get a better idea of what I am dealing with I plan to replace all of the spindles, hubs, and possibly the tires as I am not sure what issues the previous owner encountered and would like to eliminate any other little surprises before I get too far away from home

Thanks all!

I take it that those spindles are part of a torsion axle system? I never liked those, vastly preferring leaf spring suspension systems for anything other than battle tanks, portable generators & pumps (which are where most torsion systems are used for good reasons). My one trailer with torsion suspension can be dangerously bouncy (3' hops!) when unloaded -- this is why torsion is used on vehicles that don't EVER vary much in weight.

How did the spindle get bent?

If you're gonna go that far, consider getting a new trailer or replacing the torsion system with standard double axles and leaf springs like 90% of all boat trailers today. The new axles will come with lovely new spindles, BTW... ;-)
    Last edited by Thorne; 01-31-2019 at 02:41 PM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    I take it that those spindles are part of a torsion axle system? I never liked those, vastly preferring leaf spring suspension systems for anything other than battle tanks, portable generators & pumps (which are where most torsion systems are used for good reasons). My one trailer with torsion suspension can be dangerously bouncy (3' hops!) when unloaded -- this is why torsion is used on vehicles that don't EVER vary much in weight.

How did the spindle get bent?

If you're gonna go that far, consider getting a new trailer or replacing the torsion system with standard double axles and leaf springs like 90% of all boat trailers today. The new axles will come with lovely new spindles, BTW... ;-)
    With a beautiful boat like that, knowing that it would be nice to keep everything original, I have to agree with Thorn on a new trailer.

Check the price for custom machined spindles.
    I think you will choke.