Thread: Barrier cream that won't mess up gluing or painting?

Default Barrier cream that won't mess up gluing or painting?

I am looking for recommendations for a hand barrier cream that won't interfere with painting or gluing....i.e. transfer from hands to wood and cause failure of glue or paint bonding. I bought some cream and saw the main ingredient is silicone, which to my knowledge is a giant no-no around painting processes.

Default Re: Barrier cream that won't mess up gluing or painting?

What's wrong with proper disposable gloves?

These are thick and tough enough that you can reuse them several times if you wipe them off before taking them off then blow them right side out before whatever residue is left on them hardens.

Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 01-28-2019 at 08:52 PM.

I use the heavy duty Nitrilr gloves and get dozens of uses from them, even after cleaning up with MEK

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    What's wrong with proper disposable gloves?
    What's wrong not getting paint all over your hands when putting it on in the first place? If you're careful, a rag soaked in acetone will remove what few splatters and such one might incur and a wash with soap and water will finish the job. Rubber gloves are for surgeons and women who wash dishes.

Obviously, the OP knows enough not to embarrass himself down at the boatyard by wearing rubber gloves when he's painting. To answer his question, A thin coat of vaseline petroleum jelly or Bag Balm are a suitable barrier coats. Just make sure you don't put it on so thick that your paintbrush slips out of your hand.

Now Bob, we know it is National Curmudgeon Day today, but the thin Nitrile gloves are commonly worn by all sorts of workers, police and health care pros. They're certainly cheap enough for one-time use, but if you really like to reuse gloves you can get the thicker ones.

youkidsgetoffmydarpanet.JPG

That said, the OP could try some of the Corn-Husker / Bag Balm lotions and see what happens. Very wise to avoid anything with silicone when working with wood!!
    Last edited by Thorne; 01-29-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I've been using this stuff for years. Even painting cars, which can be arguably as fussy as boats...