Thread: I may have been hacked...

Default I may have been hacked...

I received an email tonight from someone saying that had hacked my email account and installed a malware virus. Could be true. We do a lot of travelling in countries where online security is weak.
    The hackers want 695 dollars in bitcoin. Obviously I wont pay...but I could use some advice. Unfortunately, I do a lot of banking and financial transactions online. Do I take all laptops,iPads and phones to the Apple store and get them purged?

Default Re: I may have been hacked...

Definitely get them checked out. And check your bank accounts. Regularly.
    "The future is already here it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Back up all important files.

Can you access your financial accounts through another device to change log in names and passwords?
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

This happened within the last hour. My initial thoughts include heading to the bank tomorrow and asking their advice, changing my internet provider and then beginning the laborious process of changing the passwords of everything I subscribe to online. Anything else I should be doing?

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Changing internet provider probably wouldn't help anything. They are probably just phishing, but changing passwords might be worthwhile.

Yup, first change the password on your email account.

Yup, first change the password on your email account.

U Michigan says its a scam
    https://www.safecomputing.umich.edu/...edible-updated

Thanks guys. I suspect it’s phishing but i’ll start changing passwords to be safe.

Happens to me 3 times a week. It's been going around for a few months now.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Chances are that they actually have nothing more than your email address or phone number for many of these scam attempts. If they can convince you that your computer or your accounts are in danger and you are nave enough to send them money to "fix it", or provide your account numbers, then they win and you lose. I get them mainly by phone, when my computer is supposedly sending them messages that something is wrong. They usually claim to be from some ungrammatical version of the "Microsoft Help Desk". I have a few minutes of fun, jerking their chain before telling them where they can stick their help desk and in what orientation.

Run this on your PC to clear out any nasties: https://www.malwarebytes.com/
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I received exactly the same message on my email last week. yes they had a password - an old one and they wanted money in the form of bitcoin, but they way the whole post went did'nt scan properly. It looked like it was a mish-mash of cut and paste. They also claimed to be key-logging everything I typed.

Deleted it and run my AVG prog, nothing to report but I'm looking at changing passwords. I'll also download that malware prog from Nick and see if that turns anything up.
    Yma o hyd

There is a rash of this,at the moment - and it's typically "email spoofing". Where your email info and perhaps another couple of things,have been harvested from one or another data breach - say, the Equifax one. Doesn't mean they have what they say in terms of current passwords, or various threats about your online activity - look carefully at the message the crooks sent you, and actually there won't be specific information about you. Insinuations about it, but no actual stuff. For instance, a genuine scammed claiming a compromising photo will attach the photo, if it exists, to underscore their threat. Consider, for instance, those celebs whose "intimate" pictures were swiped. Bet these folks didn't attach such proof to their demand to you, just threats. But change your passwords, for sure.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Hope it gets sorted quickly.

let us know the outcome
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Some passwords are more important than others. I change my banking and other financial related passwords monthly. Others, not so much.

My dad turns 80 tomorrow. From time to time he falls for these things, we find out from mom, then we go about cleaning up and getting his money back from the credit card company.

By insisting on bitcoin payment, virtually assures the elderly won’t get scammed. My dad won’t even text or bank on line. There’s no way he’s going to sort out bitcoin payments
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

I've been getting emails which seem to be sent from my own email address. They say my account has been hacked, and they even say "This is you password isn't it?", and the password they have is correct, bar two characters, for a password I used to use about two years ago. I sent copies of the mail, including the full headers, to my host's support team. They have confirmed that the mails are not coming from my own mail server, but from elsewhere, and are classic examples of spoofing. I have changed all my passwords since, but I'm still not sure how they got something very close to one of my old passwords.
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    but I'm still not sure how they got something very close to one of my old passwords.
    Your passwords are kept online by your provider and there have been many huge hacks on providers in the last 12 months. Several of my email accounts have been breached due to hacks on parent companies. For all the encouragment these companies spew about being carefull with online security, they seem to lack it themselves. Changing passwords regular is a sensible thing.

Thanks again everyone.
    This is not something I would normally worry about, but as I mentioned in another post, I recently lost my wallet to a pickpocket on the Mexico City subway system.
    I managed to quickly cancel all my credit cards and no charges had been incurred, and I don’t write down passwords. But in the back of my mind I wonder if there was something they could have used for identity theft.
    I’ll keep my fingers crossed that it’s just a stretch of annoying coincidence.

They're all scams. i get a couple calls a week like this and my anti virus software stops the same type emails that are known scams. As of last week my anti virus software is sending infected web address warnings from pics posted here on the WB forum too.

I don't know if would be any help but I offer the information in hope.I use Thunderbird as an email program and it has an add-on called mail hops which tells you all the steps and locations the message passed through.Perhaps the more sophisticated scammers can sidestep such things,the others might leave enough of a trail to enable a bit of retribution.

Thanks John,
    i’ll check out Thunderbird.