Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Whisky review

Default Whisky review

I''ve cracked a bottle of Laphroaig Select Islay Single Malt, and, being a little alarmed by the smell, then intrigued but not altogether pleased by the taste, went looking for reviews.

According to a fellow on The Whisky Exhange, "Select tastes like a superfund peat bog site burned by a wildfire, still warm, but now starting to be rained on."

Have to say, he's captured something of the essence.

Should have sprung for the 10 year.

Default Re: Whisky review

Love the poetic description. If more flatlanders read it, there will be more for the rest of us.

Well, I'm not pouring it down the drain.

It's a remarkable tasting liquor, wasn't expecting so much...character.

I have a friend who is fond of Laphroaig, while I never turn down his offer of a dram, if it came to parting with my own money I would buy something else.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post

Should have sprung for the 10 year.
    You can have my bottle. It's here waiting for you. You can ride my bikes too. I have nothing beyond that to offer but if you really think the 10 will be an improvement, it's all yours! I don't get it myself.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

I don't enjoy the smokey peaty ones at all.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

It does take a while to get used to the heavily peated whiskys and that "Band-Aid" flavor that they have. There are also plenty of good single malts which are either not peated, or lightly peated. Since I really don't need anything on my birthdays, we started buying half a dozen different single malts and having a tasting every year. The remaining stock will last for quite a while after the birthday is long gone.

DSCF2318.jpg

The Pulteney, Balvenie and Strathisla are the premium non-peated ones here, but not horribly expensive and all twelve year. The Glen Moray and Aberfeldy are also unpeated, but tend to be a bit lower priced (and sometimes a bit less consistent from bottle to bottle). TheCaol Ila and Highland Park are peated, with the Caol Ila being fairly heavily peated and the Highland Park only lightly peated.

...or you can get the economy size. These are going to wind up being end tables on either end of a window seat in my living room.

barrels.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    You can have my bottle. It's here waiting for you. You can ride my bikes too. I have nothing beyond that to offer but if you really think the 10 will be an improvement, it's all yours! I don't get it myself.
    I could fit this in to my pilgrimage for the Real Hot Chicken. Coming Spring of 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    that "Band-Aid" flavor
    Man, i wish you hadnt said that, I was just kind of enjoying the licorice and burnt down house aftertaste, but now that you mention it, there is a bit of Johnson&Johnson in there....

Oystagirl loves her Laphroaig, likewise the Ardbeg we had last night. I lean more toward the Highland and Speyside malts.

What are you doing about it?

I have a Laphroaig and a Glenfiddich in the cupboard at the moment. Like chalk and cheese, but I enjoy both. I had a bottle of the Caol Ila (stupid font, that is eye-ell-ay), but thought it was a bit peppery, rather that peaty. Kind of a relief once it was all gone .

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

If you don't fall in love with Laphroaig, avoid Lagavullin altogether.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

The Emperor Has No Clothes. Some of the excessively peaty scotch whiskeys taste like mouldy old socks.

But through determined exhaustive comprehensive evaluation, it's usually possible to match someone's personal taste with a particular quality distillation.

Just keep trying.

I'm not keen on the the super-smoky Islay malts, which taste like a poorly swept chimney.

But there are some wonderful highland malts, such as Edradour and Glenmorangie.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Some of the excessively peaty scotch whiskeys taste like mouldy old socks.
    Ah, that's where you have the advantage over me!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Man, i wish you hadnt said that, I was just kind of enjoying the licorice and burnt down house aftertaste, but now that you mention it, there is a bit of Johnson&Johnson in there....
    When I first tried Laphroaig my first impression was fermented gym socks in a barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    The Emperor Has No Clothes. Some of the excessively peaty scotch whiskeys taste like mouldy old socks.

But through determined exhaustive comprehensive evaluation, it's usually possible to match someone's personal taste with a particular quality distillation.

Just keep trying.
    Ha!

Ichiro Chicibo single malt “The Peated” 2016, distilled 2012. I sampled at the Whiskey Library in Tokyo In 2017. It maybe the best whiskey I’ve had. Smoother than Laphroaig. The hostess said that I should buy then at about $100 bottle before it was discovered. I looked for it a year later and it’s mostly sold out. Online prices range fro $300- $1000, the last time I looked. Try it if you can.
    I generally like Laphroaig but There are times When it is too “hard” for me. A literal drop of water can smooth it out and make it quite nice. I know blasphemy, but sometimes I need to improvise.

Mortlach is quite nice.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

My wife and I both enjoy lightly peated malts, and our current favourite is Jura Superstition. It's her birthday at the end of the month so I'll be buying a bottle to celebrate.

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    If you don't fall in love with Laphroaig, avoid Lagavullin altogether.
    On the other hand if you are enjoying the Laphroaig, the Lagavulin 16 is well worth a try. Very medicinal, almost an antiseptic quality to it.

My favourite non peated malt is Rosebank 12 year old - a great lowland whisky , but increasingly difficult to find at a sensible price.

Robert
    He turns his head but in his ear the steady trade winds run
    And in his eye the endless waves ride on into the sun.

Well, I put the cork back in the Lafroaig, will revisit but I don't think it will become a regular favorite. Should be a good conversation starter for company.

I will try something "lightly peated" in the future, didn't find the Jura Superstition today as recommended by Isla, nearly settled on a Highland Park 12 as mentioned by Todd...

But my eye was caught by The Glenlivet 15 year old French Oak Reserve with a marked down price.

glenlivet.jpg

Don't know why it would be discounted, as it appears to have a solid reputation and at 15 years old, doesn't seem like it needs to go anywhere in a hurry. Reckon it's a marketing ploy by the liquor purveyor which evidently worked on me.

I've enjoyed a few sips this evening and I'm feeling smarter and more sophisticated already.

Basil Hayden thanks to Rob, is my whiskey of choice.

59885496-1896-47D2-8D6F-E89A8F0568EC.png
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

+1 for Basil Hayden. I'm also quite fond of Woodford Reserve

11276299206686.png

but now we're talking about American bourbon rather than whisky...
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

I love the smoky Islays myself. Years ago a Lebanese mate and were to visit his family in Lebanon but a war erupted and we had a fortnight hanging. Went to stay at Dufftown and did extensive tours of the distilleries locally and further north. A very good substitute Nick said, and I agree.

My favorite is Glendrnach, a highland whisky, aged in sherry casks. https://www.glendronachdistillery.co...SADEgIE6PD_BwE

But if you want a quality, American whisky, you'll be wanting to look at Geo.Dickel's No. 12. Especially for the price. A superb Tennessee Sour Mash.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

A decent introduction to lightly peated whisky (though blended for what that's worth, but pretty reasonable in price) is actually Johnny Walker Red. The next step up the peat ladder might be Talisker Storm or McClelland's Islay which are fairly inexpensive and moderately peaty. For bourbon, I've got one more old barrel that will need barrel head graphics and decided to try a bottle of Buffalo Trace last week to see if it was barrel-worthy. I thought it was pretty good.

Also, if you want to do this stuff seriously, shell out a few bucks and get a proper Glencairn nosing glass. Good whisky, especially the single malts, is expensive and if you aren't taking advantage of the aroma, you are missing half of the experience. The chimney-shaped nosing glass is by far the best way to go. You can get them from Amazon, eBay, and others. No, I'm not saying that you will be able to smell all the things that the "experts" claim they can smell in the tasting notes. I get a chuckle watching some of the reviewers listing everything from green grass to ripe mangos, to butterscotch, sea air and black pepper all in the same sniff, but I must admit that some of the single malts do have some really nice smells going on - even if I can't identify them.

aberfeldy.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I love the smoky Islays myself. Years ago a Lebanese mate and were to visit his family in Lebanon but a war erupted and we had a fortnight hanging. Went to stay at Dufftown and did extensive tours of the distilleries locally and further north. A very good substitute Nick said, and I agree.
    I dream of doing something that...well actually the dream is to start and Lands End and travel up the West coast sampling beer and scotch to John'O'Groats and then down the East coast doing the same but in reverse.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I'm a big fan of Caol Ila, and not so much a fan of any whisky that starts with a 'Glen'.

I do like Buffalo Trace, and even the cheaper whiskey from Pendleton, but I can't promise to not use ice, or only water from the river Spey when I mix it.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Lots of good tips on this thread.

Here’s a review of Ichiro Chichibu The Peated 2016 from Japan. Keep your eye on this distillery.
    https://malt-review.com/2017/10/21/c...e-peated-2016/
    https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/.../chichibu-2012

Herself objects when I burn $50 bills at this rate, so my malt collection usually runs only to occasional growlers of malty craft beer.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

We are lucky to live within a few miles of lots of distilleries. This is Speyside Malt territory, and we have the Knock distillery almost on our doorstep, the Glendronach is in Forgue, which is about nine miles away, and for a decent blended whisky we have Chivas Regal at the Strathisla distillery, which is about eight miles away, and which sits alongside the river my forum name comes from. Dufftown, home to Glenfiddich, is about eighteen miles away.

Although my wife and I prefer lightly peated west coast malts, we tried a bottle of anCnoc 12 year old malt for Hogmanay, from our local Knock distillery, and found it very palatable..

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

Down here in deepest darkest Wales we have a distillery, Penderyn - makes Wisgi, I've yet to try it.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

I have not got so far as special drinking glass.

But then, I have to admit to this point pouring over ice in a tumbler.

I will look for a nosing glass and try it neat.

Yeah, neat in a Glencairn glass is your way to go, with perhaps a drop or three of still water later on to open it up a bit.

On the top shelf at the moment we have, in addition to the Ardbeg and Laphroaig already mentioned, the Tomatin 12 (with tasters of 10 and 14 awaiting comparison), a couple of Taliskers ("Skye", which is OK, and Distillers' Edition, which is very nice), Bowmore, Ben Riach, and Glenrothes (this one comes in such a wide range of expressions it's hard to find the same bottle twice, but the Robur Reserve currently on the shelf is quite good), in addition to some good tequilas. Also some Glens'n'blends for mixing, and some good non-Scotch whiskeys, but that's kind of outside the scope of this discussion.

I'm out of some of my favourites, like Dalmore, but Oystagirl can't have much booze these days, so we're not really getting through the whisky - we might have a drop once a month or so. Yes, that is a plea for help, if any of you manage to make it to the frozen north.

Oh, and Penderyn is lovely! I play with a Welsh fiddler - we're just rehearsing for St David's Day - and he often has a bottle on hand.

What are you doing about it?