Thread: Wingo Row, near Sonoma & Schellville CA, Saturday, February 2nd, 2019

Default Wingo Row, near Sonoma & Schellville CA, Saturday, February 2nd, 2019

CANCELLED due to rain and high winds.

Saturday, February 2nd, 2019

Start time 10am, bring your lightest smallest boat, the ramp is fine but the docs is totally gone..

Everyone's invited in any kind of craft...other than jetskiis. ;-)

Where:
    Sonoma Creek
    Details:
    Launch will be from Hudeman Slough Regional Park. The ramp (if open) is a bit narrow but it’s fine for small boats and it's free; be prepared to hand launch. Total distance will be 6+ miles, the vast majority of which should be easy rowing.

To get to the ramp:

Coming from the east on Highway 12/121: turn left on Duhig Road, taking it south and west to Ramal Road, take a left on Skaggs Island Road to the park.

Coming from the west on Highway 12/121: turn right on Ramal Road, right on Skaggs Island Road, to the park.

Photos from the 2014 Wingo Row:

My Flickr album of the 2014 row -
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/thornezilla/albums/72157654906549570
    Last edited by Thorne; 02-02-2019 at 12:43 AM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Default Re: Wingo Row, near Sonoma & Schellville CA, Saturday, February 2nd, 2019

Cleared my calendar for Saturday, I should be able to make this one! High tide at Wingo is 11:46, we should shoot for 10 am launch to catch the current.

Default Re: Wingo Row, near Sonoma & Schellville CA, Saturday, February 2nd, 2019

Sooo, forecast for Wingo tomorrow is thunderstorms and rain with wind gusting over 30. Sounds like fun, but my guess is this one is postponed.

Yep, wisely cancelled by Tom. Don't know if he plans to reschedule or not...
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Probably for the best, but I'm afraid we are becoming wimps. This kind of weather did not used to stop us.

Dude, it is storming CRAZY here. Windy windy. I imagine it is up there, too. That's the part that would suck. The rain is cool. We like boating in rain, actually. Keeps down the flies. Ahem.

I have GOT to get up and do a row with youse guys. Green skiff is almost rehabbed, but the duck punt rows pretty well, actually, if I sit on the floor, which, coincidentally, puts the tholepins at just the right height for me. With some shortish oars. Still, she rows well.

Blah blah blah.

Peace,
    Robert

That's me in the photo above, rowing Wingo in the rain a few years ago. Can't we leave that as a "Been there, done that" sorta thing? As I recall the extreme runoff from the local creeks completely overwhelmed the tidal action in the sloughs, resulting in a "uphill both ways" rowing experience.

To add to the fun the water levels were very high, making paddling through the narrow guzzles and squeezing under bridges more of a challenge than usual!

Rob - come up for either the President's Day row on Feb 16 or my very own Upper Napa River Row & Roister on March 9. Both are fairly short rows. Request to join the Sac TSCA email group here = SACTSCA+subscribe@groups.io
    Last edited by Thorne; 02-02-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Dude, it is storming CRAZY here. Windy windy. I imagine it is up there, too. That's the part that would suck. The rain is cool. We like boating in rain, actually. Keeps down the flies. Ahem.

I have GOT to get up and do a row with youse guys. Green skiff is almost rehabbed, but the duck punt rows pretty well, actually, if I sit on the floor, which, coincidentally, puts the tholepins at just the right height for me. With some shortish oars. Still, she rows well.

Blah blah blah.

Peace,
    Robert
    One of these days, Rob, we will be on the same bit of water at the same time with healthy backs and a rowboat each. Got to happen sometime, just by chance....

Done and done. I will check on which day will work. Maaaaybe both?

I have had many kind invitations from members here, and my life, my schedule and my fallible back have precluded me from indulging, as yet. This is the year! Hahaha.

I look forward to the day.

Peace,
    I'll Even Up My Hat Game In Anticipation

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    One of these days, Rob, we will be on the same bit of water at the same time with healthy backs and a rowboat each. Got to happen sometime, just by chance....
    No chance! Hahaha. We are going to FORCE this issue. It IS going to happen. We are NOT leaving this to chance, anymore. Haha. Quad has agreed to row me around while I writhe in the stern sheets, should it devolve to that. We will have another softball spring, summer, and fall, but I look at that as an excuse to travel.

Until then.

Peace,
    Robert