Thread: Diablo modifications.

Default Diablo modifications.

Haven't posted in a long time, but working on my Bolger Diablo. I added watertight flotation chambers on the port and starboard stern so I'll feel a little better running out to our Mayport jetties on calm days. These really stiffen the transom, too. Probably didnt even need the transom brace, but it's really solid, now. Faring is not my forte...haha. IMG_4002.jpg

Also adding a small fore-deck for an anchor well, and life jacket storage. thumbnail.jpg
    Last edited by Mark O.; 01-24-2019 at 10:08 PM.

Default Re: Diablo modifications.

Looking good!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Boy was I wrong about the transom being strong enough! The 25 hp would flex the transom under power. Not much, but I don't want any flex. I sanded down the paint and added wood and +-45 bi axle tape to stiffen it. No flex at all now, but to anyone wanting to build this boat, consider beefing up the transom. So the question is, why wouldn't the original plans be strong enough? A 25 hp might have more torque and heavier than a 25 hp when this boat was designed. Plus a 20" transom rather than a short shaft may apply more leverage on the transom. At any rate, I'm happy with her now. She will scoot! IMG_4448.jpg

Probably would have been fine with a 10 HP motor.

Wow, nice job. Real practical boat. Congratulations! the 4 stroke is heavier as well than the 2 strokes Bolger planned around but sounds like you got it nailed.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsub86 View Post
    Probably would have been fine with a 10 HP motor.
    It was planned around 20hp I think? and I've seen more and less on them. He's right in the range and the Diablo goes skipping along when it's powered. Sometimes full out speed is fun!

Yeah, it's about 150 lbs. I like the motor, it's a 2 stroke but sounds and smells more like a 4 stroke, the way it uses high pressure injection. About 3/4 throttle is a nice ride. Just enough bilge panel in the water to stabilize the boat...running WOT only on the flat bottom panel gets a little squirrely.

Oh man, I thought it was a 4stroke with the fancy new graphics, nevermind

Very pretty Diablo. I found a 25 was just about right - a lot of fun when alone, but still moved along even with 5 people and a bunch of cargo. Alas, my boat met the chainsaw last year ;-(