Thread: side-mount for outboard motor

Default side-mount for outboard motor

I'm looking for ideas for side-mounting a small outboard motor, maybe even a larger electric trolling motor on the Piper.

Something like this....
    edson-international-manufactures-marine-steering-systems-and-accessories.jpg

Edson makes one, but I think I might need as custom job. Anybody got any leads or pictures?

Default Re: side-mount for outboard motor

Putting outboards on beautiful little sailboats is an absolute shame. Regardless of the utility or necessity of outboards they look like hell.

Make sure the water pickup on the gas motor's leg stays immersed, or you'll cook the thing.

Something to consider is that you'll have to pull both motor and mount if sailing hard will put that rail in the water. And if the outboard is a 4-stroke remember that you must lay it down in a particular orientation (often handle or control side down) or risk getting oil in the cylinders and an expensive repair bill. So if the mount is easily removable and you'll leave the outboard attached to it, you'll need a storage space in the boat that keeps it in the correct orientation.

That said, there are lots of threads here showing various side mount systems.
    Last edited by Thorne; 01-24-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

This is what I've made for my Somes Sound, Emily Ruth.

The actual motor mount is made of aluminum with a wood infill for the motor clamps.
    EmilyRuth Motor Mount 5.jpg

This is the bronze fitting that receives the mount. It fits flush with the side deck surface.
    EmilyRuth Motor Mount 4.jpg

I wrote a short article for Small Craft Advisor on making this. I don't recall the issue number offhand. The mount easily attaches and detaches and can be stored in the aft compartment. I don't sail with the motor in position because in anything above a light breeze it will catch water. I use a Torqeedo outboard, so laying it on the sole isn't an issue.

I carry a good deal of shame regarding some things I've done in my life, but mounting this on my pretty sailboat doesn't make the list.

I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Jeff

If you are using a 2HP motor you will find that most of them have a round leg that will cause severe ventilation when they are not mounted behind a transom. You can solve that problem here:
    https://outboardfoil.blogspot.com/

navydog, true, I agree with you, but that wasn't exactly helpful.

Come on, guys, obviously if the boat heels over to that side, a side-mount motor and/or bracket is going to cause trouble. If there's wind, I'm sailing, right? This is just to get a mile or two back to the dock when the wind poops out.

Odds are strong that I will be putting a relatively large electric trolling motor on the boat rather than a gas motor, either 2 or 4 cycle.

Thanks jpatrick, that's nice little piece of kit you built there....
    Last edited by Alan H; 01-24-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Which boat do you have? Is a motor well an option, with a plug when motor not in use? Another long term to consider is motor permanent next to skeg or integrated into rudder.

I built a mount that fit on the transom behind the rudder that just used the motor for pushing and the rudder did all the steering, it clamped on the transom and made from SS tubing. You could tilt the motor up to get rid of the prop drag if desired. Mine was not for a beautiful boat like yours, it was for a Honda 10 hp a lot more motor than your boat would need. I had the motor controls to the tiller handle.
    "Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth."

Motor well is not an option.

Hmm. I could, I suppose figure out a way to attach the prop end of a saltwater trolling motor to the rudder, but I'm not keen on the idea on this boat. Not that it's a bad idea, just not on this boat.

As an aside, turns out that the launch ramp where I have the boat now is nowhere near deep enough to launch it, so she won't be touching the water for quite a while, now. That means the need for the trolling motor mount is not immediate.

I used a side mount auxilliary for years, figuring I could sail if there was any breeze at all. What I didn't plan on was being becalmed in the Alameda Estuary... Every power boat of any significance had a large enough wake to roll that poor little motor under. After clearing it a half dozen times the ferry finally finished me off, I gave up rowed to the shore, rafted up to something and waited out the rest of that hateful day, and sailed back on the evening breeze.

(Fwiw; I used two small through hull fittings (3/4") one over the other and stuck a short plank with two pins epoxied in it. It worked just fine)

Canoeyawl,
    Do you have a sketch or picture of your motor bracket arrangment? I'm having trouble envisioning your setup. Thanks.
    Last edited by CundysHarbor; 01-31-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I used a side mount auxilliary for years, figuring I could sail if there was any breeze at all. What I didn't plan on was being becalmed in the Alameda Estuary... Every power boat of any significance had a large enough wake to roll that poor little motor under. After clearing it a half dozen times the ferry finally finished me off, I gave up rowed to the shore, rafted up to something and waited out the rest of that hateful day, and sailed back on the evening breeze.

(Fwiw; I used two small through hull fittings (3/4") one over the other and stuck a short plank with two pins epoxied in it. It worked just fine)
    I, also, would love to see an illustration of what you built.

I may get a nice straight-grain 10 foot doug fir 2 x 8 and make a pair of basic oars for starters, or backup even if I rig the trolling motor.

Photos are trapped in an old hard drive...
    Here is a shot taken at a dock, you can just see the two 3/4" through hull fittings one over the other, just below the sheer strake. 5hp Seagull
    edit to add; the motor and bracket stow in a locker under the seat.

Attachment 30501
    Last edited by Canoeyawl; 02-01-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Geez, the attachment does not work. Are there actually two 3/4 inch through hull fittings in the topsides?