Thread: New Year and new Challenges ahead

Default New Year and new Challenges ahead

This year as started with a sudden death of my father in law. Which as put a completely change of direction and purpose in life and my business. I have now got some young apprentices working for me and their training is giving me new direction and purpose. In my area there is a lack of traditional boat builders. As they have been with me for a short time in their 4 year apprenticeship training they are going to make a few mistakes in the early months, however in the coming months this should with time become a thing of the past and they will take onboard the responsibility of what it is to be a boat builder and that their actions and work will effect people's lives and that of the vessels our clients sail on the high seas. So it is my task to show them their mistake it is also my job to ensure they do the best possible job. So over the next month s it is going to be hard work getting them to start to understand a different mindset and change them for what they are to what I need them to be in the future.

Default Re: New Year and new Challenges ahead

Simon, I am very sorry about the loss of your father in-law.
    Please keep us posted on you progress with the apprentices and on your projects.

Change is hard, and harder when it involves someone we love. Good luck in the coming year. You seem mohave a great perspective!
    Scott
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

Hi Simon,

My sincere Condolences, my thoughts are with you.
    I`m sure the Apprentices will keep you occupied, I hope you`ve got a LOT of patience!!

Greetings from snowy Germany,

Alan

The last few pieces going on the Finesse 21 before it goes back to its owner's mooring

Chain plates going on and then getting it ready to go outside

A good clean down and then get covered over and then out of the workshop.

Chain plates going on and then getting it ready to go outside

A good clean down and then get covered over and then out of the workshop.

Going out of the workshop

Gone

The Mast lowered and ready to load on to transport

The Finesse 21 loaded on to transport outside our yard and ready to strap down on to the transport

Now at the boatyard from where she was picked up and now returned to for antifouling and rigging and re-launching

The little Mai dinghy is in the workshop for some more work to be done on her while we wait for the next project to the yard for work to be done on her before the spring.

The day motor launch is back in for a few small jobs to be done before it is ready to go back on the owner's moorings

One of the small jobs to be done is to refit a new bilge pump in the aft well in the cockpit floobr />

Also the ongoing repairs to the GRP trailer front which is now get closer to getting finished and returning to its owner to put back on his trailer.

Jasmine now ready to go home to her owner's sailing club next week

A major amount of work done this time with some more ribs and a new outer keel and the centreboard case removed and re-sealed and the mast support renewed.

The owner hope to sail her in the spring when it gets warmer and there is more time in the evening to go sailing after work.

The mock-up of the helmsman seats is now done and have been put in place in the cockpit, now have to make up the foot rests to put on the front of the boxes which are having to be mocked-up to the original design when they were made by Hardy Marine when these boxes were original made as an option for this boat.

This week as been a week of small jobs and getting ready for the next major project. This project is to convert a 30 foot yacht into an expedition boat to sail in the northern altitudes around Norway Iceland and Greenland and may be further afield later. So the workshop as been made ready to get the yacht into the workshop so the work can start next week after it is placed in the workshop and staging is put round the yacht so that all the deck fittings can be remove at a safe working height. With Jasmine finished and the motor launch now finished and all the jobs done that we were asked to do sorted. It is now time for her to go into storage ready for the new season. Also now with other project now sorted the Team can start on getting the Hardy 25 refit underway again and get it finished so it can go back to her owners who are going to cruise the River Severn and the surrounding area.

So over the next few months there are going to updates as we progress on these and other projects.

Already to go to her owners sailing club with all the work completed and now ready to be put back in the water for a trail sail

Back at he sailing club and about to be rigged for the first time in over a decade With new standing rigging and a reasonable set of sails.

Did not have the chance to take any photos of the boat rigged, however the owner did get a chance and when able will put them on the blog.

The trail sail when well and the owner is happy that after a long time he finally as the dinghy afloat and is going to be able to use the dinghy over the coming months and years.

The transport company which I use to do my haulage jobs to get the boat or yachts to the yard to have the work done by the Team at J-Star Marine Services

Ready to lift off the transport

Now on the cradle ready to come in the workshop after the work on the outside of the yacht is done, such as clean off the bottom of all the fouling leave behind after being in the water with no antifouling.

The workshop emptied in readiest for the new project to come in workshop

The cradle for the new project to go in and then can be rolled into the workshop

The yacht arrived on time and just getting the yard ready to roll it in to the workshop

The transport company which I use to do my haulage jobs to get the boat or yachts to the yard to have the work done by the Team at J-Star Marine Services

Ready to lift off the transport

Now on the cradle ready to come in the workshop after the work on the outside of the yacht is done, such as clean off the bottom of all the fouling leave behind after being in the water with no antifouling.