Thread: Key Largo

Default Key Largo

The Otter and I need a paddle board break and at the last minute changed our plans from St Augustine to Key Largo, due to the weather. We will be there Thurs.-All of Sunday.

We are bringing inflatable paddle boards, and would like to see some manatees and other wildlife. Any recommendations for places to see and paddle in the Keys would be appreciated.

I plan on driving down to Key West and back on Friday to scout and then get in an evening paddle at Key Largo. I have been to Islamorada but that was almost twenty years ago so I need to re see it all.

Also up for a round of beers if there are any takers for an EBS.

Cheers,
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Default Re: Key Largo

Don't know the specifics on exactly where in Key Largo but after passing through many times there is a lot of back country waters ideally suited for paddle boards/kayaks in the area, I'd start with google earth from wherever you stay and take it from there.

Call Florida Bay Outfitters, they are a paddle shop in Key Largo and very knowledgeable.

Thanks, I looked at google earth, it all looks good. In touch with FBO, had called them earlier about getting an electric pump and may do a tour with them.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.

I plan on driving down to Key West and back on Friday to scout and then get in an evening paddle at Key Largo.
    That's an ambitious day, given traffic, speed limits and the vigilance of the Monroe County Sherriff. You could drive down and back. But Drive down and back AND scout AND have a paddle? That's a lot.

In Key Largo, you can see manatees at lots of places on the Gulf Side: where are you staying? Start with the hotels marina. The Pennkamp State Park probably offers you ca good shot, too.

I am a marina boater, so can;t help with shore launch spots, but see manatees pretty regularly.

Take pics and share 'em!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Echo breakaway. Just Miami to Key West is a full day. Get a hotel and enjoy yourself,.

Check out Marathon. You’ll like it.

The weather was windy and 70s but we still had a great time. On Friday we got the southernmost parking spot in the US, looked at the line to take a picture with the southernmost concrete thing in the US, and walked over to Duval. found a nice rum bar, and then a drag queen bar. A good time was had by all but since I was driving a rental car we walked around and saw the same souveniers and some cool art galleries and then drove back up through lots of clouds and wind and rain. I was beginning to think that the boards made the trip to Florida for nothing.

The same evening I rewarded my drinking restraint by stopping a few miles short of the hotel at a brewery in Islamorada, where the bartender is also a part time paddle board guide. Got some good intel.

Spent the next two days staying out of the wind and paddling mangrove trails. Lots of fun. We did the "secrete lagoon in Islamorada and the John Pennenkamp state park trails. The Secret lagoon was pretty cool and we got to use a dock that was behind a paddle board shop (small fee, less than parking at the state parks) and there was a bar on the back of the building next to the paddle shop. I was able to deflate the boards and get them packed while drinking a beer.

At the state park we only saw two other kayaks travelling together close to the rental place. We had the rest of it to ourselves for 3 hours. I even timed the tide right so we had a pretty easy float for most of the way back.

Cheers,