Thread: Stella Plans, Thoughts?

Default Stella Plans, Thoughts?

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows where to find plans for Holman's Stella. I've been contemplating building a Nordic Folkboat or a Stella and would like to find plans so I can get a better idea of the design. Also if anyone has any input or has owned or sailed one of these I'd love to hear your thoughts on the design, especially as compared to a NF. I've read several articles and would like to learn more about Stella. Most of the use would be on the Great Lakes but I have grand ideas of venturing out the St. Lawrence seaway and going to who knows where. These two beauties are at the top of my list!

Thank you!

Default Re: Stella Plans, Thoughts?

I know the principal of Holman and Pye was hoping to retire a few years ago and by now he probably has.I would suggest trying to contact the owner's association as a starting point.

Thanks, I have contacted them by email but have not yet heard back.

Tons of used Folkboats around, some to be had for the price of minor restoration...others need more work.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Unless you want to build just because, there are some good examples in the UK for very little money, and shipping is currently cheap.
    Owned a NF for 12 years, certainly a good sailer and no complaints for single handed use. However, if cruising in relative comfort is required, a Stella is a better proposition i think, more headroom, a seperate forepeak and space to actually use a toilet, and far better lines to carry an inboard engine, something the NF was never designed to do.
    I confess, Kims slightly larger 28ft "Twister" would be my choice.
    EDIT: To add, Stella was inspired by the Folkboat, but was from the outset designed and built for British waters and conditions that the original NF was not built for, and was a more substantial vessel. Might be worth thinking about depending on your location and intended use.
    Last edited by skaraborgcraft; 01-22-2019 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foerster View Post
    Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows where to find plans for Holman's Stella. I've been contemplating building a Nordic Folkboat or a Stella and would like to find plans so I can get a better idea of the design. Also if anyone has any input or has owned or sailed one of these I'd love to hear your thoughts on the design, especially as compared to a NF. I've read several articles and would like to learn more about Stella. Most of the use would be on the Great Lakes but I have grand ideas of venturing out the St. Lawrence seaway and going to who knows where. These two beauties are at the top of my list!

Thank you!
    If you have any luck, can you let us know. I've tried on and off for years, but no luck so far.

I do not have a Stella, rather the Holman 26 (Also know as the Nymphette)Built Boat.jpg 1963 by Tuckers . I contacted Holman and Pye Yacht Designers 62 East Road West Mercia C05 8HD attn. Mr D.H McD Cooper and for 45quid I got a set of plans and a brochure. It did not come with a set of scantlings, and they are not suitable to build a boat but they show you how it all fits.

^ Friend of mine had a plastic Holman 26, excellent little seaboat.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVID HAMILTON View Post
    I do not have a Stella, rather the Holman 26 (Also know as the Nymphette)Built Boat.jpg 1963 by Tuckers . I contacted Holman and Pye Yacht Designers 62 East Road West Mercia C05 8HD attn. Mr D.H McD Cooper and for 45quid I got a set of plans and a brochure. It did not come with a set of scantlings, and they are not suitable to build a boat but they show you how it all fits.
    West Mercia is rather a long way,by British standards,from West Mersea which was the home of Holman and Pye.There is a slight chance I might encounter a Stella owner in the next day or two.I will ask a couple of questions if i do.

There is an active Twister Association (that's another Holman design that you might contemplate) in the UK. They might know where Holman plans can be obtained. They have a website and were communicative when I was chasing Twister plans a few years ago.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by DAVID HAMILTON View Post
    I do not have a Stella, rather the Holman 26 (Also know as the Nymphette)Built Boat.jpg 1963 by Tuckers . I contacted Holman and Pye Yacht
    Designers 62 East Road West Mercia C05 8HD attn. Mr D.H McD Cooper and for 45quid I got a set of plans and a brochure. It did not come with a set of scantlings, and they are not suitable to build a boat but they show you how it all fits.
    Thank you for the address. I think I'll send a letter.

Thank you all for the information and ideas.

Let us know how you get on.

Will do.

At this point I've decided to pursue the Nordic Folkboat as there are a lot more of them out there and a lot more resources if I ever build or buy one. If I ever do find plans for the Stella, I'll probably pick them up if they're reasonably priced so that I can do a meaningful comparison to the Folkboat.

Some lines.

Last edited by Edward Pearson; 02-07-2019 at 12:08 PM.

This is the same boat but at 21ft/ 2 tons...potentially trailerable home. One got built down in Cornwall by a doctor, called Arsinoe. In past Watercrafts.

https://store.gartsideboats.com/coll...oop-design-112