Thread: Protecting end grain

Default Protecting end grain

More broken mast related stuff. I'm somewhat convinced that the end grain around to the sheave may have been the culprit. The top has a solid cap. The sheave has some protective sheet bronze protecting the wood but should have been upgraded. It was kind of cheesy, but lasted 80 years. Any thoughts on this detail would also be appreciated

Default Re: Protecting end grain

Quote Originally Posted by mariner2k View Post
    More broken mast related stuff. I'm somewhat convinced that the end grain around to the sheave may have been the culprit. The top has a solid cap. The sheave has some protective sheet bronze protecting the wood but should have been upgraded. It was kind of cheesy, but lasted 80 years. Any thoughts on this detail would also be appreciated
    Unless you remove the bronze sheet and paint or varnish underneath it regularly I think that it is nothing more than a moisture trap. I dismantle the sheave and its bronze anti-chafe plates completely and varnish every time I re-varnish my mast.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Fibreglass the end grain and paint it. Slope it so water runs off. Top of your (most are) mast is white any way isnt it?

This wasn't painted at all. Just 14 coats of epifane. I would have thought it may seep in around the bronze sheet.
    I've seen sheaves within a bronze casing, where the whole assembly fits in the slot. I may investigate that.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

The "whole assembly" can get sweet water wicking up in there as well, no ?

The simpler the better. Slope the top. Soak with epoxy or CPES. Varnish maybe... paint better. Perfectly traditional look to have the tip of your spar painted white. That eliminates crevices. And eliminates fasteners which are often the source of rainwater intrusion. If there's a thru bolt for a pulley... epoxy that hole also before you insert the axle. Or go full-tilt, and create an epoxy annulus. For details, consult https://www.westsystem.com/instruction-2/ especially "... On Boat Construction".
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

i've been pondering similar questions relating to how to fasten a masthead light into the endgrain at the top of the spar..
    right now i am thinking of drilling and filling with epoxy and then bedding the base well with butyl tape