Thread: Design history of a 9ft row/sail wooden dinghy, pre-1980

Default Design history of a 9ft row/sail wooden dinghy, pre-1980

We are trying to trace the design history of this 9ft wooden dinghy, row or sail (main and jib). It was built by my husband, around 1979, and he most probably obtained the design from Wooden Boat to which he subscribed. He is no longer with us (died in 2005), but by a strange coincidence the boat in question has come back to the family after being owned by someone else for the last 20 years. We are keen to know what the design was but nobody can remember (or were too young at the time of building!). Any suggestions would be most welcome.
    IMG_1873.jpg

Default Re: Design history of a 9ft row/sail wooden dinghy, pre-1980

As it is a NZ build I think it could be a Hartley or Pelin praam dinghy enlarged to 9 foot.
    It was not uncommon to add to a hull during construction.
    The construction is ply on frame, and that fits both the Pelin and Hartley designs that were common in NZ in the 70s.
    https://hartley-boats.com/product/praam-dinghy/
    https://www.pelinplans.co.nz/boat-pl...-dinghy-detail

Thanks for those two close "possibles". Best so far! Certainly similar shape, ply on frame etc. Several details differ eg. our boat has centreboard casing and mast step, and has inboard decking which doubles as seating and buoyancy (watertight compartments) along each side of the boat. So perhaps there was a design out there which matches more closely without adaptations and additions...? It has been suggested that it may have featured in "Wooden Boat" back in the day, and another person has a feeling it might have been a design resulting from a competition...?

There is another dinghy that has a centreboard casing, mast step and inboard decking and taht is the Mirror Sailing dinghy.
    Your rig is a look alike to the Mirror dinghy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_(dinghy)
    But the Mirror is 10 ft 10 inches overall length and 9 ft 4in on the waterline.
    So if yours is 9 foot overall it is a little short. The chine on the mirror rises close to the bow which is a distinctive feature.
    I cannot see that in your picture.
    You need top post more photos of the hull, inside and out plus exact dimensions to get a clear ID of its design.

It is **remotely** possible that the sailmaker might still have records going that far back that would have the name of the design -- so if they're still in business you could ask. Otherwise as above, more photos and exact measurements will help.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

In the photo that looks more like a daggerboard, sliding vertically, than a centerboard, pivoting near the forward edge...just to help keep terminology straight while researching designs. It appears to have a full Marconi rig as opposed to a Gunter as well. Neat little boat!

Yes, indeed, daggerboard, which is removed completely when boat out of the water or being rowed. Sorry about inaccurate terminology! Have requested photos now that boat is in Wellington not at my home.

The Faulkner's from up on Clifton, mid 1970's, built "Bootstrap" if I remember rightly?

Pete
    Last edited by epoxyboy; 01-20-2019 at 02:00 AM.
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Close! David Faulkner built "Bootlace", a Drascombe Lugger, in the attic of our Clifton Hill house in 1972.

Ah! You knew my parents, Peter and Dinah Croft. Dad passed away about this time last year, but Mum is still going strong. Small world!

Pete

Indeed! So you are into boating? Where? I do see Dinah from time to time, and was aware your Dad had gone, condolences for that.

I built one of John Welsford's "Pathfinder" lapstrake trailer yachts about twelve years ago, mostly sailed it over at Akaroa and up in the Sounds, what with the public facilities at Lyttelton being what they were/are. I sold her to a chap in Sumner about five years ago, after she spent a whole season in the garage when my main "crew" discovered girls and cars about the same time our other sprog started at Otago uni.
    I probably got as much enjoyment out of the building as the sailing - but I am eyeing up the sea kayak that has been hanging in the garage since the yacht build, and thinking it is time to get out on the water again. It has been a while, what with one thing and another.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Don MacLeod View Post
    There is another dinghy that has a centreboard casing, mast step and inboard decking and taht is the Mirror Sailing dinghy.
    Your rig is a look alike to the Mirror dinghy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_(dinghy)
    But the Mirror is 10 ft 10 inches overall length and 9 ft 4in on the waterline.
    So if yours is 9 foot overall it is a little short. The chine on the mirror rises close to the bow which is a distinctive feature.
    I cannot see that in your picture.
    You need top post more photos of the hull, inside and out plus exact dimensions to get a clear ID of its design.
    Not a Mirror, with which we are familiar. Awaiting hull photos - family on holiday!

It could be a 9ft Yachting world pram dinghy, plans were available for home building. My first boat was one of those, your boat looks very similar from the side, the bow transom was quite distinctive but i cant tell from your pic.

Any idea where one could see a picture or plan of that one (9ft Yachting world pram dinghy)?

Here are two photos looking inside the boat

IMG_20190202_112650.jpg
    IMG_20190202_112457.jpg

Nice dinghy Trish.
    Those photos suggest it is unlikely to be a Hartley or Pelin.
    It looks as if it could be longer than 9 ft. Have you any recent exact measurements?
    Best of luck in your search

Bow transom is very similar to the YW pram, I will see if i can find a pic.

YW 9 footer 'Maid of All Work' pram with additional side tank buoyancy

Agreed, not Hartley or Pelin. Beam 1.4m, will check length.

That would be helpful, thanks.

Can you tell me anything more about "Maid of all work" please?

The 9 footer was designed as the larger brother to the YW 7ft 9 Utility pram for the larger yacht - the title 'Maid of All Work' perhaps gives an idea of the status of at least some of the potential owners, yet the plans were so detailed that most of the fittings for the rig were intended to be made by the builder from brass sheet. 9 foot by 4ft 4" with 50 sq ft of sail in a bermudian sloop rig with either a wooden mast or a jointed metal mast to enable the mast to be stored on the mother yacht. The pram has such a large bow because it was designed to enable a large man to attend to a mooring or kedge from the bow without swamping the boat or making it unstable.If built to plan, both bottom and topsides have double curvature: hold a straight edge across either panel and a slight curvature should be noticeable which culminates in the completely rounded bow, and twin skegs underneath were specified so that the boat could be dragged up a hard without damaging the thin skin. Final check: mainsail dimensions were 12ft x 5ft 9 x 12ft 7 leach, jib 7ft 10 x 4ft x 7ft 6".Bell Woodworking in the UK offered kits for both boats about 70 years ago, but the plans were still available from Yachting World directly in 1970, along with a host of other far more well-known plans.

This is now sounding familiar, thankyou Gremlin. We'll check some of those details. Also would explain the bow which slaps into any waves! And the fittings, made in the workshop.