Thread: Plans for a Nordlandsboat Faering

Default Plans for a Nordlandsboat Faering

The Nordlandsboats are usually buildt without plans, but now Gunnar Eldjarn, a boatbuilder in Northern Norway provide plans for a 5,6 meter Faering (two and a half rooms/bulkheads). I have nothing to do with selling this plans, but wanted to share the info :-)

Fred

Default Re: Plans for a Nordlandsboat Faering

At Skol ar Mor they built a smaller version of the same type (https://www.flickr.com/photos/skolar...h/36900384904/) and also showed a high resolution lines drawing of the boat (http://www.skolarmor.fr/wp/wp-conten...-de-Bindal.jpg).

Interesting for comparison:

Alot of rocker on that Bindalsbat.

I have a technical question.

When looking at the section shape, for example mid Stations 3-6 e.g. Station 5 on the Nordlandsbat, why do/ did they build them with the gardboard going down from the second plank up, rather than a convex continuation as we would typically do now? Increase displacement without WL beam? Give themselves a small bilge for trapping water? Better straight line tracking? Less rolling? Was it constructional with that keel/ garboard interface? The Cornish Punts use the same garboard keel interface but were/ are convex sections. Anybody know?
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 01-18-2019 at 05:51 AM.

This may also be of interest https://batritningar.se/en/boatplans...andsbat-faring

/Mats
    Yes the avatar depicts me; yes I drew the comic boat pic, it's a joke on the pop song I'm not a robot by Marina and the diamonds

I like that Eldjarn has used the same drawing style as Færøyvik utilised in his wonderful collection of drawings recording the different traditional boat shapes from West and North Norway.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    Alot of rocker on that Bindalsbat.

I have a technical question.

When looking at the section shape, for example mid Stations 3-6 e.g. Station 5 on the Nordlandsbat, why do/ did they build them with the gardboard going down from the second plank up, rather than a convex continuation as we would typically do now? Increase displacement without WL beam? Give themselves a small bilge for trapping water? Better straight line tracking? Less rolling? Was it constructional with that keel/ garboard interface? The Cornish Punts use the same garboard keel interface but were/ are convex sections. Anybody know?
    I am no expert here but I believe better straight line tracking is the most important reason. I have a 20 ft Nordlandsboat, and I think it helps prevent broaching sailing downwind. You really do not want to capzise theese boats, especially not in Northern Norway... But there might be other reasons too. There is no apron plank, and the garboard plank is riveted to the keel, so maybe this angel is needed for that construction... but I am no expert thou ..

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

I suspect it may have something to do with the rocker. If you build a boat with that much rocker and more flare to the garboards amidship it will not track properly.
    I also think it makes the boat a better sailer especially when sailing close to the wind.
    It may also have made the boat a more stable platform for fishing less liable to roll.

So....... let's say they wanted a good sailer that didn't roll when fishing. The easiest way to get that is the reduce the flare of the garboards thereby increasing the lateral plane. Such a boat on a straight keel will inevitably be hard to steer and difficult to manouver under oars. Hence they introduced the rocker.
    All makes sence.

I am not a boat designer and cannot read boat drawings properly as I tend to think three dimensionally and to go by plank widths and flare..... but I have a bit of experience of how traditional doubleenders behave in the water. No experience of Nordlandsbåter though.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland