Thread: From Design to Completed Skiff Name: Bama Boat

Default From Design to Completed Skiff Name: Bama Boat

Hi Wooden Boaters,
    A little background on my boating experience for context. I live in Mobile, AL which has waters from large rivers, a delta, Mobile Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. I was raised here and worked on my fathers charter boat when young. I later worked for a nationally recognized fishing tackle company (Lew Childre & Sons) where I blessed by being able to design fishing tackle resulting in several patented products gracing the shelves of sporting goods stores and big box retailers. All this aside, I really love boats and the water which is why after selling my blue water Cobia, I decided to return to my roots and become a skiff fisherman. The area waters here can be deadly, and just yesterday a capsized jon boat was recovered from the bay which had two fishermen aboard who are still missing. Based on the low freeboard of the typical jon boat I decided that I would rather build a skiff and since I am retired and have too much spare time I might as well have a project which will use up a lot of time to give me something to do. I looked at design software and it seems most of it runs under Windows. For the last forty years I have designed software and gradually migrated to Open Source for my personal computers, and other than FreeCAD there was not much design software available for Ubuntu which is my current platform. For those of you who are not familiar with Ubuntu here is a screenshot of the desktop. (It looks a lot like Windows) Continued on next post.

Ubuntu.jpg

Default Re: From Design to Completed Skiff Name: Bama Boat

So what to do. I found FreeShip which seems to be pretty popular so lets see if I can run it under WINE which is a windows shell. A lot of win apps will not run under WINE, especially if they use DRM or digital rights management but I have nothing to lose by trying since it is all free. I was able to set up a folder in my Home folder and named it Win. I then unzipped FreeShip to the Win folder. I executed WINE and passed the parameter telling it to run FreeShip.exe. Here is what it looks like running it from a command window. It gets some exceptions which do not affect the operation of FreeShip so for those of you running opensource, FreeShip will run under WINE.
    WineFreeship.jpg
    Last edited by DangerousDrummer; 01-12-2019 at 11:24 AM.

That looks promising.
    Have you found the Freeship manual, downloadable as a PDF?

You can create the rough input files for a chine hull in a spreadsheet by entering rough offsetts from a pencil sketch on graph paper, fitting a formula to the rough data and then plotting the faired curve in the spreadsheet as a graph. That will give you a rough hullform in Freeship for fairing, refining the form to what you want and ensuring the the panels can be developed.

This is one that I made earlier for a model build
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I have always had a fondness for cobles from the North East. When forumites introduced me to Freeship on threads in the Design page I was able to make a start.

I chose this coble from Cullercoats, painted in 1840 as my prototype.

She is a four streak coble, I decided to use the proportions of a 19 to 20 foot Sunderland coble for which drawings are available.
    I lofted the planks, leaving out the keel and stem.
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 01-12-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Hi Nick,
    Yes I found the PDF. I have progressed on this project and have now completed two 1/4 scale models. I want to show all of the steps of how I started through the final skiff for those that may be wanting to do something similar. I have a lot more step by step photos and instructions still to post.

So now I have a working design program running but I know nothing about Freeship. I opened some of the sample files under the Ship/Database folder but they were much too complicated for a newbie like me. I tried the File/New menu but did not know enough about the program to complete all of the required parameters, but I did notice that there was also a Hulls folder which contains .hul files. I tried to File/Open one of the hul files but FreeShip allows you to open only a file type .fbm. I noticed that there was a Carlson folder under the Hulls folder and I remember seeing Carlson under import so I tried to File/Import/Carlson Hul File and Bingo!, there was a boat.

I imported a few hul files and found that some of those with with numbers were actually in metric so a 16 wasn't feet it was sixteen meters. I continued to open hul files until I found one that was around 16 feet. I wanted a very light skiff suitable for a six hp outboard which had been gifted to me by a friend when he heard I wanted a skiff. (nice friend to do that). I started playing with the various views under the Window menu item. Now it was time to delve into all of the options available in FreeShip to see what was actually under the hood.

Here is the 13FTSKIF imported from a hul file.

Attachment 29584

It was now time to get serious. I was beginning to understand the terminology used in FreeShip and how the layouts worked for lofting. I had found the Create Plates function under the Tools menu and felt like I could start to take my vision of the skiff I wanted to the design phase. First I would need a cardboard model of the skiff. I started cutting cardboard from a hard pressed cardboard boot box. My scale was going to be one inch = one foot. I built two or three using the plates shapes from FreeShip until I reached a suitable model. I then established a baseline on the bottom and measured the bottom hull for input into FreeShip. All I needed was the Y coordinates since I could adjust the draft and other coordinates after I had a hull shaped in FreeShip. (As you can see I am going to incorporate the flotation pod designs found on a Tango skiff)

Attachment 29585Attachment 29586Attachment 29587

So now I have the start of my skiff input into FS, but I also had gotten to try "Stitch and Glue" on the cardboard model just like I will use in the final product. I continued to refine the design and learned how to create layers which could be exported as parts. The nice thing about using layers is that you can supress the view of them which simplifies working on different parts of the boat. Here I show all of the layers and then just the sides and bottom. Oops! I may only attach five files per post.

Attachment 29588HullLayer.png

Here is the FreeShip file for my BamaBoat.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZR...BXdGkTatwz_Sd8
    Last edited by DangerousDrummer; 01-12-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Now that I have a design, let's see if I can build a bigger model. I will try to build a 1/4 scale model out of plywood using the Design Plates tool. If there is one thing I have learned from all of the Youtube videos on boat building, it is that it is wise to model a boat before cutting expensive marine plywood. I will need to take the offsets from the plates and enter them into a spreadsheet so I can use formulas to obtain the correct scaled dimensions. For those of you who may struggle with spreadsheet formulas here is a link to my sheet. This is an ODS file but you should be able to open it with Excel as well as Libre Office Calc. You may also opt to open it with Google Sheets.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11P...oEerRG6shNCKZ1

It seems I must start another thread to show more images. So be it.
    Last edited by DangerousDrummer; 01-12-2019 at 12:47 PM.

A few of us have had Freeship running in Wine under different varieties of Linux.You should be able to generate the true shape of some panels,which saves quite a bit of work.I may be mistaken, but those isocurves look a bit busy for developable panels.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerousDrummer View Post
    Hi Nick,
    Yes I found the PDF. I have progressed on this project and have now completed two 1/4 scale models. I want to show all of the steps of how I started through the final skiff for those that may be wanting to do something similar. I have a lot more step by step photos and instructions still to post.
    The manual really is helpful, takes the guess work out of using the tool.
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 01-12-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerousDrummer View Post

It seems I must start another thread to show more images. So be it.
    No, just add another post to this thread.