Thread: tacos

Default tacos

I brought back to Montana from NYC some corn flour, "pre-cooked" which I use for tortillas. I used to have tortilla presses, but now I just use a cutting board and the kitchen counter-top.

This is the thread (I am looking at you, Mr. Baxter) where you post your thoughts on home-made street tacos.

I am mostly interested in recipes for the meat portion.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

Default Re: tacos

First, catch a chicken or a pig.
    I don't care to know what the tough do when the going gets tough. I am interested in what the enlightened do;

Life is what it is. Then it isn't.

Or cow.

Please, no fish.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

I made beef barbacoa in the slow cooker last weekend. I found the recipe on YouTube .

Ken thought the tacos we made from it was the cat's meow!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

I've never understood fish tacos, either. I like fish, but it's too delicate for a taco.

I won't lay claim to real expertise. I'm reminded for some reason of the scene in Wayne's World when the airhead says about the tv studio "this is where the magic happens", and Rob Lowe says "oh, you work in tv?" and she says "no, but I watch a lot of it", and Lowe doesn't even blink, "of course you do, you're creative."

Anyway, I eat a lot of tacos.

Well marbled beef-- judicious selection of chuck is good--chopped up, salted. I make a seasoning salt with paprika, dash of cayenne, garlic salt, what have you, mix it in on the cutting board.

Skillet fried with diced onion and jalapeŮos.

Diced tomato with cilantro, dollop of sour cream, smear of chipotle in adobo (Embasa brand preferred), slice of avocado, squeeze of lime to cut the grease. Comal heated corn tortilla until it just starts to brown. This is where an expert steps in with homemade, I'm still using store bought.

Anyway, that's my current base model taco.

To make a good fish taco, you need fish with some oomph. Pollack or some other boring white fish is a waste of time. Salmon, if you like it, or trout works well. Halibut is great - but 'spensive enough to where I'd rather grill it. You do have to go with a lighter sauce to not drown the fish flavor.

Pork in small chunks, garlic, onions, cilantro, black pepper & a bit of maple syrup is a mix I made the other day. Tasty!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    To make a good fish taco, you need fish with some oomph. Pollack or some other boring white fish is a waste of time. Salmon, if you like it, or trout works well. Halibut is great - but 'spensive enough to where I'd rather grill it. You do have to go with a lighter sauce to not drown the fish flavor.

Pork in small chunks, garlic, onions, cilantro, black pepper & a bit of maple syrup is a mix I made the other day. Tasty!
    I'm open to the possibility that I will someday encounter great fish tacos. I don't think they will be topped with cabbage, though, what is with that.

Maple syrup is a new one. I tend to not like added sugars, browned meat and sauteed onion are plenty sweet. But then, I've been known to season meats for the grill with Johnny's, which has as much sugar as salt in it.

Mahi makes a great fish taco. Firm and flavorful. Also, try blackfish( tautog; 'tog), too.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    I'm open to the possibility that I will someday encounter great fish tacos. I don't think they will be topped with cabbage, though, what is with that.

Maple syrup is a new one. I tend to not like added sugars, browned meat and sauteed onion are plenty sweet. But then, I've been known to season meats for the grill with Johnny's, which has as much sugar as salt in it.
    I'm with you on the cabbage. Since I make syrup, I tend to use it in cooking a lot. A lot as in "many places" - not quantity. It imparts a flavor to meat that I really like.

Kevin's mahi suggestion is a good one. Can't speak to blackfish
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

A beef taco recipe from an old WB cooking thread

"Got corned beef cooking on the stove, but I've got a chuck roast cooking in the slow cooker. And that chuck roast, covered with cumin, chili powder, picante sauce, crushed garlic, oregano, a bit of LaVictoria hot sauce, and a can of diced tomatoes, will be, in about six more hours, giving birth to stripped beef that I will use for taco filling. I'm talking real Mescan tacos, real tortillas filled with stripped beef, folded over, and lightly fried (I just brush the tortillas with canola oil on the frying side) till they begin to get crisp.Then you get to put in whatever you want in the way of cheese (longhorn?), lettuce, tomato, jalapenos, and a liberal dash of LaVictoria (or an equally flavorsome hot sauce).
    We'll have corned beef and cabbage tonight, but tomorrow we're going to pig out on the closest I can come to REAL tacos."

Another favourite of mine is pulled pork for carnitas both very tasty.

Crispy Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas street tacos

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 (4-5 pound) pork shoulder/pork butt trimmed of excess fat
    1 lime, juiced
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    1 medium onion, roughly chopped
    1 fresh Anaheim chili, chopped
    1 cup chicken broth
    3 bay leaves
    1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    2 teaspoons cumin
    2 teaspoons oregano
    cilantro and finely chopped red onion for serving

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Heat oil in a large pan over high heat. Add the pork and sear on each side until browned, about 1-2 minutes per side. Transfer pork to a large slow cooker.
    2. Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours or until the pork is tender. Remove the bay leaves.
    3. Remove the meat from the slow cooker and shred. (Make sure to keep the liquid)
    4. Transfer the shredded pork to a baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes or until crispy.
    5. Remove from the oven and pour ľ cup of the reserved juices from the slow cooker onto the crispy pork and toss.
    6. Place the baking sheet back in the broiler for an additional 5 minutes or until crispy. Pour an additional ľ cup liquid over the crispy pork and serve immediately with cilantro and chopped red onion

Lately itís been local raised (hillside grazed, not lot fattened) pork shoulders smoked over pecan or persimmon, then shredded and simmered in salsa verde for a hot minute.

I donít take nothing else with it but a wrapper. Others put cilantro and onions and whatnot.

Iím a purist.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Mahi makes a great fish taco. Firm and flavorful. Also, try blackfish( tautog; 'tog), too.

Kevin
    Mahi is good. Any shellcracker is best. Pink, sweet, and a firm texture. Just enough fresh slaw to give some crunch. A small dash of habanero hot sauce made with enough pulverized carrot to soften the heat(like Yucatan Sunshine).
    Sam Bach

I like skirt steak for tacos. I cover it on both sides with pickled jalepeno slices and let it sit for 45 min. Wipe of the peppers, salt and pepper it, maybe a little ancho chile powder if I feel like it. Grill to rare. Slice across the grain in serve on a homemade corn tortilla w/ onion, tomato, cilantro and queso fresco. Mmmmmm good. Charro beans on the side, of course.

Thanks all!

My method is just to mix anything in the cupboard and fridge that sounds Mexican. I also like those little cans of chipotle in adobo sauce, using a little of the chipotle and a lot of the sauce.

Some day I am going to try tamales...the best that I ever had were from a cafe in Zilla, near Yakima. There were the size of fat cigars.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

Got any of that elk shank left?

Two words:

Elk tacos.