Thread: Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Default Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Just watched the Mr. Rogers movie with my sweetie. It was pretty soggy, and reminded me how much growth I still have to do as a human being. He set a heck of an example.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Won't You Be My Neighbor?

he was quite the gentle soul. The world lost something when he passed
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Still my favorite. Not even joking. Meow, meow.

Peace,
    Mr. McFeely

I'll tell a story. When my kids were little (a long time ago now) they used to watch Mr Rogers, and I really didn't like him much; he seemed too smarmy and self-righteous and just kind of irritating - not horrible, but way too cutesy. And then one day my I was home with my daughter when she was maybe three or four, and he had an episode about the difference between reality and what you see on the screen. He started out in his normal way, changing his shoes and sweater, and then had the camera draw back so you could see the set, which of course isn't a house at all, and he explained how that works. Then he made a crude clay dinosaur, and walked it through the streets of his little model town, explaining how none of it was full size and how that worked. He showed the 'Land of Make-Believe 'trolley and the sets and puppets, and how they hide behind the set and work the puppets and make the voices.

Next he visited the set of The Incredible Hulk, a live-action cartoon-based TV show at the time, starting by playing a very dramatic clip where the Hulk was keeping an airplane from crashing, IIRC; lots of wind and noise and heroics. He introduced the actor who played the Hulk, a large muscular guy, and the one who plays the Hulk pre-transformation, and they talked about what they do and how to create illusions. He showed the Hulk getting his green makeup applied. Then he showed the set for the airplane scene - wind machines and ladders and lights and a small bit that looked like part of an airplane, and the technician explained in simple language how the wind machines and the lighting works; again, how to create illusions. Then he showed the clip again - when all the kids watching know that the Hulk's an actor in green paint, and the wind is made by big fans, and the airplane's a stage set, and the actors all climb up ladders to take their places. It was just incredible; the best bit of demystification I've ever seen, and done so my daughter could understand it completely without any help. It was just amazing, and I understood that there was a lot more going on in some of his shows that you might think if you didn't pay attention.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 01-12-2019 at 09:40 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

My kids watched. I felt almost like Keith, #4 above, at first. Then wife explained that my daughters, especially, really like Mr Rodgers gentle nature.When I compared it to other kids' programing with plenty of violence in cartoons, etc, I came around to Mr R's value.

I didn't get to see him on TV much, because we spent a lot of time in places with no TV, but I had books and records, and Mr Rogers was very important to me as a kid. Nothing less than formative, I think. I don't have many heroes, but he is one.

What are you doing about it?

One of the things I appreciated about him from the movie was, in the context of the times, the early days of broadcast tv, and the coincident rise of the post-war American Madison Ave culture, that he was both a pioneer of tv but specifically public tv, educational and not driven by, in particular, the gun-making toy manufacturers and the rest of the actual smarmy plastic crap being marketed to kids, to the point of being outspoken and testifying in front of congress regarding the mission of tv and it's potential for the edification of our future generations—us. It belies the current notion that somehow his influence turned our generation into soft losers because everyone plays and everyone gets a trophy for showing up.
    I don't care to know what the tough do when the going gets tough. I am interested in what the enlightened do;

Life is what it is. Then it isn't.

I’ll be back, when the day is new
    And, I’ll have more ideas for you
    And, you’ll have things you’ll want to talk about
    I will, too...

Thank you, Fred.

Peace,
    Robert

Peppa Pig for me.
    Xanthorrea

Great insight and story, Keith!!
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

Cool Re: Won't You Be My Neighbor?

My last name is Rodgers.
    No I'm not related.
    Wish I was.

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.