Thread: bloody truck. :D

Default bloody truck. :D

The lad ran through a bunch of snowplow crud at the end of a driveway yesterday, and mashed something important on the little Ranger's transmission housing . Lots of bright red tranny fluid staining the snow (), but unfortunately, not something that can be patched up. Or rather, replacing the housing is essentially the same work as rebuilding the transmission, in terms of labour.

So we have a choice. Do we get a transmission from a donor truck, or spring for a remanufactured one? What is in her now is an automatic... but there is a donor truck's manual with clutch and shifter etc which would fit, for pretty cheap. And it is already removed from that truck. Worth it to put in a 5 speed stick, with the associated hassle, or to just install the same thing again?

Realistically, I'm not gonna install a transmission myself (though it would be fun), 'cause I don't have a garage and it is January in Canada. . So what does it make sense to have the transmission shop install for me?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Default Re: bloody truck. :D

Seriously, find someone with a garage and do it yourself. Youtube is your friend. And if the Ranger is over 8 years old, donor truck. And get a aftermarket differential cover. Lubelocker makes some excellent diff gaskets and way easier than the goo.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

I might, eh. I worry about screwing it up, but the cost savings would be huge. And YouTube has lots of examples. Would be a cool thing to learn how to do. Donor truck for sure - it is a 2001, for all that it has really low mileage.

Very tempted to put in that manual. I love driving a stick, but I have read that it can be a pain to get the wiring harness and on board computer properly set up. Possible, but tedious.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

If I like the truck, I'd go rebulld--

That's maybe $3500-$4000 installed...here.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I might, eh. I worry about screwing it up, but the cost savings would be huge. And YouTube has lots of examples. Would be a cool thing to learn how to do. Donor truck for sure - it is a 2001, for all that it has really low mileage.

Very tempted to put in that manual. I love driving a stick, but I have read that it can be a pain to get the wiring harness and on board computer properly set up. Possible, but tedious.
    I completely tore apart my brand new jeep's suspension from youtube vids. I'm going to do it again in the spring when I add longer springs, replace the control arms, rear track bar and break lines. If I can do it, you can.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Can you live without it until spring? My wife's car blew a head gasket just prior to Christmas a few years back. Calls to garages provided quotes of about $800. We bought another car and let it sit until spring. I fixed it once things warmed up for less than $200 and we then sold it. We had planned to replace it shortly in any event so it did not make sense to put a lot into it.
    As far as a swap goes, I think I would avoid trying to swap a manual transmission into it. If you do want to do that, then you need a donor that is a whole truck and hopefully the same year and model so that you get all of the parts that might be necessary. You will need the flywheel for the engine for example and the pedal assembly and, and, and . . .
    You say the donor you know of has the transmission already removed from the truck. Do you get the whole truck or just the removed transmission? It should be a whole lot easier and faster to install another automatic that matches what you have.

Randy

Whole donor truck is there; retired due to frame rust, as I understand it. It is higher mileage than the one we have, and a 2005 rather than our 2001. So yeah, many questions.

Realistically, it probably isn't worth it to have a pro install a remanufactured transmission, for all that we have an emotional bond with the truck, and a summer's worth of sweat equity. But it might be worth parking till late March and playing then, if I can't find a place to work on it.

Ask youtself "What would a Cuban do?"

Is it just hole in the case? If so, JB weld will patch it right up.

Replacing an auto with a stick could end up being quite a bit of work & needing lots of parts. If 4WD, major differences I bet.

Dunno on the Rangers, but is the driveshaft the same length & size? Same rear end ratio? Are there differences in the computer? Transmission mount? Speedo gearing difference? Speedo cable size/length difference?

I used to do lots of auto to stick changeovers in Volvos back in the 70's - but that was pre-confuser days. Driveshaft, rear mount & rear end were different - but you could live with the rear end ratio difference.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I haven't seen it myself - the lad had the CAA tow the truck, and it ended up at a (reputable) transmission shop. What I understand is that there is a fitting where the aluminum housing is in contact with a steel spring clip or etc, and the cross-metal corrosion weakened something which the bump through the snowplow crud knocked apart. It might be small enough to use JB Weld - I can hope, and will find out. But I kinda doubt it, if corrosion was involved. We did a lot of corrosion repair on other bits of the truck, and I would not be surprised to find that the transmission housing was badly affected too. Yay salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Ask youtself "What would a Cuban do?"

Is it just hole in the case? If so, JB weld will patch it right up.
    I dunno about Cubans, but patching the hole with some metal & JB Weld just might work. Devcon plastic steel is even better than JB Weld.

I repaired the oil tank on a magnesium case chainsaw & it lasted 3 years. Might've gone longer, but someone stole it.

If patching - it has to be 100% oil-free. Lots of alcohol to degrease.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Bite the bullet and buy a Toyota.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

2WD to 2WD. The same engine was used for both the donor and "patient." I dunno if the driveshaft is the same length - another aspect is that Rangers can have a "standard" and "extended" cab, and I dunno if the donor is the same length as ours. If the trucks were the same year, some of the questions would be easier, since I would know if I could swap in computer modules along with the metal parts. The module is there in the '05 donor, but might not talk to my '01 patient. Probably the transmission shop would know, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McMahon View Post
    Bite the bullet and buy a Toyota.
    you're no help at all, b'ye!

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2001...lar-Cab/Values

Vermont & 100,000 miles (160K km)

Yeah, I know. Financially, it isn't a sound project. Except that the other work we've done argues for more value as a user vehicle than its value if sold. It isn't an investment, for sure .

But we did a lot of corrosion repair - frame, new floors, etc. Did new brakes all round, all of the shocks and a good bit of the front suspension. None of that adds meaningfully to the truck's retail value, but the longevity is a lot better...

As I said, we have a special emotional bond, that truck and us.

Go to a wrecking yard and ask.
    They'll know what fits or not and if it's worth the trouble to change it to stick(because their buddy/uncle/neighbour tried it)
    There should be a zillion rusted out auto Mazda/Rangers with decent transmissions in them.
    Around here,if you've "fixed" the frame,it won't pass a safety when you go to sell it.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Would a switch to manual require a different wiring harness? Pitfalls in there somewhere!
    My motorhead SIL is determined to pull the V6 out of my old Firebird, and drop a V8 firebreather into it. I’m less interested- but don’t know how long I can hold out.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Apparently, the trucks' wiring harnesses were designed for either auto or manual, and usually the superfluous connectors etc were just taped off and tucked up under the dashboard. Dunno if that is the case with our truck, as I haven't gone looking. I am quite sure there are a bunch of pitfalls that I don't anticipate, and don't know enough to ask about. So I will ask the transmission shop guys what they know, and as someone suggested a few posts back, go and chat up my local salvage yard guys.

Tom, PM me as I can probably help. I cut down an '82 F250 supercab into a standard cab and at the same time changed it from auto to a BW 4 spd. Musta done something right, I drove her for 9 years and traded her for a smaller unit.

Dumah
    Duct tape can't fix stupid but it will muffle the sound

Tom, if it is of any help (albeit utterly unrelated), I gave my daughter a Volkswagen Cabriolet that had an auto tranny that lost the plot after a year. Against all advice, financial sense, and reason, I had my mechanic change it over to a 5-speed manual gearbox. I loved it, Gwyn loved it, and I sold the car for more than I paid for it & tranny change combined a couple of years later. Bottom line: if you can afford to do it, don't let public opinion nor reasonable cost deter you if you like the vehicle.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.