Thread: Anybody here do the tenkara thing

Default Anybody here do the tenkara thing

I have been curious about tenkara fly fishing, on the smaller streams I fish I do basically the same thing with a fly rod, the simplicity of the rig and compact size appeal, the length of the rods makes me think about nymphing and dry fly drifting on smaller water. The rod prices are reasonable if you fly fish and own a few Loomis or sage rods. I got looking at this when Rob posted a tenkara style fly to one of beowolfs fly threads.

Default Re: Anybody here do the tenkara thing

I brought back two very nice tenkara rods, of differing lengths and weights, when I returned from my first stint in Japan. I've only fished dry, and probably on too large a stream. They are light as hell, great for backpacking. Better for smaller fish, I think, I had a difficult time keeping the tip up on a 15+ inch trout, and lost it. PM me if you would like to try one of them out.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

I dont get the appeal except for maybe the telescoping rod part? I have a custom 4pc 2wt made by Gilluley (botebums brother) matched to a small reel with no backing. Have used for brookie fishing in small beaver ponds locally and golden trout fishing in the Kern wilderness.

Same size, same portability, +drag. It just seems like a person could really limit themselves on a stream depending on current and depth while trying to retrieve a health trout over a pound.

What am I missing?

disclaimer, the custom rod is awesome, the cost was less than what you pay for a similar Sage.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    I dont get the appeal except for maybe the telescoping rod part? I have a custom 4pc 2wt made by Gilluley (botebums brother) matched to a small reel with no backing. Have used for brookie fishing in small beaver ponds locally and golden trout fishing in the Kern wilderness.

Same size, same portability, +drag. It just seems like a person could really limit themselves on a stream depending on current and depth while trying to retrieve a health trout over a pound.

What am I missing?

disclaimer, the custom rod is awesome, the cost was less than what you pay for a similar Sage.

Yeah, I can understand your reservations, on the stream that I tried tenkara I found myself thinking, a reel would be a nice invention. But, I haven't yet tried it on a smaller stream.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

Thank you for your kind offer twodot, the smaller streams I fish here the trout brookies and browns average 6-8" a 15" fish would be the fish of a season out of these streams. The streams are rarely more than 15' wide and mostly more like 8-10' I have never needed a drag, I currently use either 7 1/2' 3wt or a bamboo 5wt I built a few years ago.
    For all the larger places I fish I will stick with my conventional gear I own at least 5 5wts. My interest in the tenkara thing was it's simplicity and I wonder it a 12' rod would offer fly control options or just get in the way. I guess I'm wondering if tenkara would be a useful tool or a gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    I brought back two very nice tenkara rods, of differing lengths and weights, when I returned from my first stint in Japan. I've only fished dry, and probably on too large a stream. They are light as hell, great for backpacking. Better for smaller fish, I think, I had a difficult time keeping the tip up on a 15+ inch trout, and lost it. PM me if you would like to try one of them out.
    Do you have them available so you could take pictures?

I like the real rods as much as I like the fly patterns. I am almost down to one...

Peace,
    Robert-chan

I have most of them here one 5wt 4 piece is on loan to Diana's youngest son, I don't expect it back or even really want it back. I don't know how to post pictures but I will take some over the weekend and figure out how to get them to you.

Sorry. I meant the tenkara rods. I’ve a friend over there wh turned me on to the sport, and boy do I have some material list for those things.

Now I use a hand wrapped, guidless 12’ 4-piece blank made for Kokanee trolling, but converted by me, and a cheap 13’ Black Widow crappie pole with wrapped joints and a new tip top.

Peace,
    Unless They’re, Like Heddons, Or Somewhat...