Thread: RIP Bert

Default RIP Bert

Story

He was just an animal . . . an animal that showed more spirit and love in the face of pure evil than any human could have. He was hit in the head with an axe, splitting his skull through the brain cavity and was gravely wounded by the same axe on his shoulder. He also had an old gunshot injury that destroyed part of his jaw from a few months before. Mac the Pitbull, a rescue organization out of MO, stepped up and tried to save this guy, it looked good for a day or two, Bert fell in love with one of his ER technicians, he got to fall in love once and that was something. Well, he took a turn for the worse this afternoon and so they gave him the second best gift he got, peace and release from his pain. We humans need to do better . . . This sucks, I'm so sad and angry.

In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Default Re: RIP Bert

That is so sad. People can be such cruel turds. RIP, Bert.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

The person that did that is one I’d like to strangle. With my bare hands.

Peace,
    Typing Through Tears

It takes me years to unsee that cruely and stifle my emotions.

Animals are so much more noble than humans

"Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

Horrific.

Who hit him with the axe?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Wow. Sorry. RIP.

My little dog does not like to sit still for a photo, but she looks a lot like Bert, they could be brother and sister, so this hits me pretty hard.

We were just talking at supper time about all the good dogs in heaven. Bert is up there too, now, Along side all our old pals.
    Steve Martinsen

Damn.

A friend got some justice once. A guy left a dog & her new pups locked in a room in his barn for 3 days with no water (middle of summer & no windows). Jim discovered them when at the farm & rescued the mom, but the pups had died.

He locked the guy in the room for 24+ hours. I guess he was completely freaked out & came out blubbering.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Humans can suck sometimes.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

When I was about fifteen I was helping my Dad replace a farm fence for somebody along a quiet country road. We'd been there for a few hours and stopped to eat. An old dog appeared out of the dry grass. She was black and her long wirey coat was matted and full of burrs and grass seeds. She was timid and scared, but also starving and desperately thirsty. It was immediately obvious that she had a litter of pups somewhere out there. Dad reckoned she'd been dumped several days earlier. I spent the rest of the day looking for the pups but couldn't find them. Talked Dad into letting me keep the dog which I named Whiskers. She was a lovely old girl and a great mate for my little fox terrier, but we only had her a few months and she was killed by a car. I recognized the sound of the car, which didn't even slow down. It was a horrible little Italian thing that belonged to the son of a local landowner. I was really really angry but I couldn't prove who it was so I was forbidden to say anything. JayInOz

F*ck.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

That's a real bummer. Most of the time, with a few exceptions, I prefer animals to humans. It breaks my heart to see animals mistreated. RIP Bert
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

We are capable of being so vile.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    We are capable of being so vile.
    Don't google unless you want to be sickened, but there are many horrific pictures of dogs (and other animals) being skinned alive for their fur(?) and/or meat.

Humans can be so abhorrent.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    F*ck.

Mickey Lake
    Not much to add other than
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Horrific.

Who hit him with the axe?
    In the eyes of the law? They’re not sure yet... there are some associated with his rescue attempt that feel very strongly that they know who it was and are trying to pressure athorities to investigate. Problem is; he was just a fu34ing pitbull.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

He was put down?

Put down the man with the axe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    He was put down?

Put down the man with the axe.
    With an axe.

ETA: I maybe misread Dave's post. I took it to mean "take down the man who used the implement" Maybe you were saying what I said?

Anyway - whoever did it should suffer - in the next life if not this one.
    Last edited by Garret; 01-11-2019 at 07:16 PM.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    With an axe.
    Honestly, I’d volunteer. But I’d do it much slower and more painfully than with an axe.

Dude is pure, demented scum, and there ain’t resources enough on earth for humans, other animals, and monsters.

Peace,
    Crying Again. Those EYES! Those Eyes...

I was choked the fu34 up all last night. Now, I'm just angry. That person is lucky I don't have access to them.

~C. Ross

The 'powerful' do this to whatever/whomever they despise.

scan.jpg

This guy came to us with a still partially open wound around his neck. His neck was nearly as big as his head, and he'd slip his collar. His 'owner' wrapped his neck with some coathanger wire. Tightly. He was 'dognapped' and left at an animal shelter, from whence he came home with us. 130 pounds of very assertive dog.

No picture, but work with the foster-care system and see what comes into your home, like a two-year old with cigarette burns... He'd been with us about two weeks when a social worker came to pay a visit. She made the mistake of stepping between us and 'J'. Very quietly, Beau stepped in between she and 'J' and pushed her away. Or an 8-year-old, beaten to the point of hospitalization because he missed the school bus...

Hopefully not at the levels described above, but such happens not far from all our doorsteps.
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

That poor, darling boy, may he RIP. I have no use for those who torment people and creatures that can not defend themselves.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harrow View Post
    The 'powerful' do this to whatever/whomever they despise.

Hopefully not at the levels described above, but such happens not far from all our doorsteps.
    I know this first hand, I also know that most people are too cowardly to do anything about it. I wish I had you around when I was a kid. Thank you, Ed.

~C. Ross

Yar. There are reasons I have high pain tolerance and hate bullies.

Peace,
    Don’t Make Me Amgry Mr. Magee

Some people just plain suck.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Our Emma came to us from the Basset rescue group here in Alabama. She is our third rescue Basset and fourth overall. They told me that she had some special health issues before she came here, and she does, but thing we didn't count on is that she was shot with a shotgun at some point in her past. She has next to zero bladder control so we try to have her wear diapers, but if you raise your voice for whatever reason she will drop to the floor and cower.

All these rescues have stories, and I would imagine that the majority are not good ones. Ben sat outside our gate for three days before we invited him in (I think we had five at that time and didn't know how everyone would react). Trucker walked up to my daughter Sarah and put his head in her lap at the Louisiana/Texas state line, and the next thing you know he was here. Sometimes he cries in his sleep, though he has been here for a long time now and his time is winding down.

So many good people dedicate their lives to helping right the wrongs that others perpetrate on this world, but it seems as if it is a losing battle sometimes.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Our Emma came to us from the Basset rescue group here in Alabama. She is our third rescue Basset and fourth overall. They told me that she had some special health issues before she came here, and she does, but thing we didn't count on is that she was shot with a shotgun at some point in her past. She has next to zero bladder control so we try to have her wear diapers, but if you raise your voice for whatever reason she will drop to the floor and cower.

All these rescues have stories, and I would imagine that the majority are not good ones. Ben sat outside our gate for three days before we invited him in (I think we had five at that time and didn't know how everyone would react). Trucker walked up to my daughter Sarah and put his head in her lap at the Louisiana/Texas state line, and the next thing you know he was here. Sometimes he cries in his sleep, though he has been here for a long time now and his time is winding down.

So many good people dedicate their lives to helping right the wrongs that others perpetrate on this world, but it seems as if it is a losing battle sometimes.

Mickey Lake
    This world is not well . . . all because of the humans in it. I know there are very good people, you're one of them, but mostly, I distrust and am disgusted with humanity. There's really no upside to humanity as a whole. I look at what happened to Bert, my Sherman, and so many others and shudder at the knowledge the we, as humanity, have been much much worse in history. I'm ashamed of us . . . but not of you, you make all of this hopeful. Thanks. I wish there were more of you.

~C. Ross

Zak is a rescue dog. We got him at a couple of years old and he was terrified at first.

I'm assuming he'd been beaten with sticks, because of his reaction if you had a broom... etc.

He's come good, but we couldn't get him right with other dogs, so he's kept in the yard as he's too powerful for my ex if another dog comes by. His daily run is a couple of kilometres on a machine... and a track in the back yard.

This was him on seeing my eldest boy, just off the plane from the US after a couple of years....

.... and three years ago with Jet... who now lives in Philadelphia, after a couple of years in Durango, Colorado

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem