Thread: Police uniforms.

Default Police uniforms.

Back in the good old days, when I lived in Seattle, the police cars were blue and white, and the uniforms were two shades of blue.
    They also wore wore officer's peaked hats with patent leather brims and badges on the front.
    Now they drive black SUVs and wear black uniforms and ball caps.
    They don't look friendly.
    But they're still called "The Thin Blue Line".
    Last edited by Jim Bow; 01-10-2019 at 09:28 PM.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Police uniforms.

Blue Isis

So many cops are now SEAL wannabees. Protect & Serve is largely a thing of the past - though a few police forces around here have been returning to that. It's a slow process though.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

My suggestion for fixing the problem of violent cops is to put them in board shorts, Hawaiian shirts and flip-flops. Maybe a shark tooth necklace.

Require them to wear their hair at least shoulder length.

And put them in vintage VWs.

It would get rid of the undesirable wanna-be soldier types.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Do y'all have a police force or a police service? It varies a bit here from state to state.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Leadership at the top is key. Our Rockford Police Chief is a good guy who has instituted several ways his police interact with neighborhoods in a "soft fuzzy" manner. Shortly after taking the job he happened to be at a shopping mall when a shop lifter or similar bad guy was reported running outside. The Chief ran after him and tackled him.

Wife's brother just recently retired as Sheriff of our neighboring county to the east centered around Belvedere, IL. He frequently appeared on the evening news after apprehending drug perps. He was also universally known as one of the area's nicest, most decent guys anywhere around.

Politicians just love 'law and order' campaigns when they run out of any other idea, and quasi military uniforms, badges and flags make very ordinary candidates look good. Not so much if the Inspector standing behind you looks like this…..

Of course its horses for courses, there are times a police officer has to be clearly identified to his colleagues if no one else, and times when armour is justified.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 01-11-2019 at 07:34 AM.

The problem as I see it is that police departments have used the military as their main recruiting pool based on a belief that the candidate comes with a built in familiarity with weapons and their use(largely true). The flaw in this thinking is that when returning veterans go directly from battle theater to the streets of America the mindset is that all encounters with citizens are viewed as an us versus them interaction and ordinary citizens are enemies first and fellow members of society as an afterthought, if at all. Soldiers aren’t police and police shouldn’t be soldiers.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

A very good friend of mine wanted nothing more in life than to be a cop.
    His nice Jewish family of doctors and lawyers and teachers got together and basically bribed him into going to college instead.
    After college he still wanted to be a cop. Again the family said "go get a master's degree so you can maybe join the FBI instead".
    After grad school he was screwed. He'd educated himself beyond the price range of any state or local police force, but by pursuing a CJ degree instead of a law degree he'd fallen just short of what any federal agency wanted.

All he ever wanted to do was carry a gun and drive with lights and sirens.

Friends, I'm here to tell you that we should all be very grateful to that nice Jewish family for knocking him off course. Some people just get into LE for the wrong reasons.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
    The problem as I see it is that police departments have used the military as their main recruiting pool based on a belief that the candidate comes with a built in familiarity with weapons and their use(largely true). The flaw in this thinking is that when returning veterans go directly from battle theater to the streets of America the mindset is that all encounters with citizens are viewed as an us versus them interaction and ordinary citizens are enemies first and fellow members of society as an afterthought, if at all. Soldiers aren’t police and police shouldn’t be soldiers.
    Very true!
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

the best ever cop uniform

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    the best ever cop uniform

Id buy that for a dollar.

Peace,
    Robert

Sometimes they look OK..

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

I recall when our local police made the change... the police car graphic used to have a very 'friendly' look, white car with dark blue lettering.... they switched to a black and silver scheme with rather stark looking graphics. Whether it was because of the desire to look more intimidating, or not, I don't know.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

in the town I live in, the cop cars are white with clearly visible markings. They are pretty friendly too. West of here their cars are glossy black SUVs with barely discernible flat black markings. Those officers it depends on who you get. North of here is Pleasantville. being a ****hole town, it's cops rarely bother with traffic stops and their cars are a mishmash of cars and SUVs and while plainly visible, the colours of the markings vary. South of my town is a very posh little town full of doctors and lawyers. As you can imagine they have the best of everything and the cops are pretty much raging Aholes
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    South of my town is a very posh little town full of doctors and lawyers. As you can imagine they have the best of everything and the cops are pretty much raging Aholes
    I went on several ride-alongs set up through the academy I attended in 2008. While I'm sure there are quality departments in affluent areas my experience was the wealthier the community the more of a bunker mentality approach. It went so far that a Lieutenant in the city Albert Pujols lived in said the goal was to run out people who couldn't afford to live there. I declined a recruitment offer.

The main reason for selecting military veterans for police work is a presumption that a candidate will be more experienced working in a command, as opposed to a management, hierarchy. The difference being that some policing situations demand that officers follow instructions immediately and can do so under stress. I do agree that the veteran officers I worked with tended to perform better under stress but the same results can come from proper training of non-veterans.

We wore French blue shirts and navy pants with vests under our shirts. I think that is the most professional uniform and I would hate to have worn a black uniform in the St. Louis sun.

Mike
    "You may be orange, you may like hamburgers, and you may be a clown, but you sir are no Ronald McDonald" - John Stewart

Our local police car is an SUV, so are most of the Staties, but with >50% unpaved roads it sort of makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    Sometimes they look OK..

She's packing a whistle...