Thread: Trump Could Divert Funds from Disaster Areas for Wall

Default Trump Could Divert Funds from Disaster Areas for Wall

Over a year since the hurricane, Puerto Rico is still not even close to recovered from the disaster.... but guess what funds Trump would divert, to build his wall, in the so-called 'emergency'?

Hey, they're just brown people, yanno?

President Trump “has been briefed on a plan that would use the Army Corps of Engineers and a portion of $13.9 billion of Army Corps funding to build 315 miles of barrier along the U.S.-Mexico border,” NBC News reports.

“The money was set aside to fund projects all over the country including storm-damaged areas of Puerto Rico through fiscal year 2020, but the checks have not been written yet and, under an emergency declaration, the president could take the money from these civil works projects and use it to build the border wall.”

Washington Post: “Trump has urged the Army Corps to determine how fast contracts could be signed and whether construction could begin within 45 days.”
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: Trump Could Divert Funds from Disaster Areas for Wall

You have a monster in charge, no doubt about that.
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

Stuff all these suffering people- I WANT MY WALL!

Hey - they got paper towels - what more do they need?

Besides - aren't they the sort of people we want to keep out anyway?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

150 yr old article about impeachment worth reading.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...eached/548144/

An article from South Dakota - those good ol' boys not only drank the Koolaid, they fermented it, and are soaking in their hot tubs with it.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/ne...th/2524409002/

PIERRE — The southern U.S. border is allowing "terrorists" to come into the United States and "threaten a black wind of death to race across this nation from coast to coast," said Sen. Stace Nelson, R-Fulton.

Nelson's impassioned speech came amid 30 minutes of debate in the South Dakota Senate Thursday on whether to support the construction of a wall on the southern U.S. border. The Senate passed the resolution in a 28-5 votes, with two senators absent.

The dispute over the border wall has caused the federal government to partially shut down. The shutdown, in its 20th day on Thursday, is affecting 4,400 federal employees in South Dakota. President Donald Trump indicated he is considering declaring a national emergency, which would secure the funding for the border wall.

Meanwhile, Nelson told the South Dakota Senate that defending the country hasn't been a partisan issue in the past and the World War II generation is "rolling over in their graves" at the pushback Trump's border wall proposal is receiving. He added that the lives of South Dakotans are worth more than the $5 billion Trump is requesting to construct the wall.

"We are a border state because the crimes that are coming into the United States as the result of the porous southern border affect every one of our constituents," Nelson said. "In this case, we have the ability to tell Congress, to tell the President that this is what we want."
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

For the self-proclaimed "greatest country on Earth", you guys sure seem to have a lot of problems that are, as one might say, systemic in nature.

What are you doing about it?

Montana

A Republican lawmaker in Montana is proposing to give more than $8 million to help build President Donald Trump's proposed wall on the Mexican border, while South Dakota senators voted Thursday to endorse the president's plans.

https://abcnews.go.com/International...-wall-60289875
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    For the self-proclaimed "greatest country on Earth", you guys sure seem to have a lot of problems that are, as one might say, systemic in nature.
    Your observation fires up a lot of thoughts.

The 8 million will come from dental floss tycoons - so no worries.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Using funds for real emergencies to satisfy Trumps fake emergency. I wonder how that’s going over in areas damaged by Hurricanes Harvey and Michael?

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    The 8 million will come from dental floss tycoons - so no worries.
    Zapp!

Jennifer Rubin oped

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.09d35afa7dc2

“I think we’re stuck. I just don’t see a pathway forward. I don’t see a way forward,” said Graham. “I have never been more depressed about moving forward than I am right now. I just don’t see a pathway forward.” Later Thursday afternoon, he tweeted (inadvertently conceding the “emergency” wasn’t at the border, but with Trump’s failure to bully Democrats into giving way):
    The Constitution does not say “but ask the president first” or “only do such things that the president definitely won’t veto." (To the contrary, there’s a provision to override vetoes in there — honest!)

The answer to Graham’s dilemma is simple: Do your job. The Senate can take up the bills to open the government passed by the House. Graham could reintroduce the Gang of Eight immigration legislation which passed the Senate in 2013 by a vote of 68 to 32. The Senate could come up with its own bill, put it on the floor and vote on it. (Graham apparently has a few ideas.)

What Graham and the rest of his colleagues cannot do is simultaneously enable an unhinged, authoritarian president and uphold their oaths of office. And what they surely should not do is facilitate or encourage Trump to usurp the power of the purse.

Is his threat to go 'emergency' any more valid than his promise Mexico would pay?

Trump tells so many lies it's hard to tell when to take him seriously
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

The White House under Trump is pretty much a disaster area.

I'd favor a total shutdown. Lock the buggers out!

The wall, not so much.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter