Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #@$%^ Groomers

Default #@$%^ Groomers

We go through interview after interview to find someone that can just hold it together long enough to make it through training

Last candidate seemed somewhat normal, young, energetic, strong work ethic. Went out with Renee for a ride along yesterday, was supposed to go out again this morning. I woke up at 5:00 to this email :

Hey guys I'm sorry but I cant work for you I'm driving up to oakhurst (central california)today. My living situation got really bad last night and I cant be there anymore. if you can just put my stuff in the lobby that would be awsome! I will leave your grooming shirt in there too. Thank you for the opportunity. I'm really sorry this didnt work out.
    When I wrote the business plan for this I used Renee as an example of a groomer that we would hire. I neglected the fact that she is not typical of those in this business. Most are gypsies, and prefer working with animals than dealing with people. Most have personal lives if complete disarray.

I'm learning completely new managerial style that requires a whole new set of sensitivity that would never be required in other businesses.

To add to the stress and possible high BP one of my other groomers texted me this morning to tell me she feels like she may be coming down with a cold or flu She has a FULL schedule starting Friday through Tuesday. Looks like Renee is on deck for a 7 day work week .

Lastly I got a text from the Doggy Daycare we were asked to become the inhouse Groomer for:

Happy New year Joe! Hey we're getting ready to go to construction soon and finalizing things with a contractor. You were going to get me some specifications on the tubs etc?
    Yea I have to write a business plan, finish my construction drawings and equipment punch list. It's a serious opportunity for us. We get a brick & mortar location, an office, receptionist / booker, a location to park vans and grow.

Now if I don't have an aneurysm in the next week it should be an exciting year.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: #@$%^ Groomers

So, what are you going to do in the afternoon, Joe? Don't you Americans know how to do a full days work?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Sounds like blowing_off_steam-bicycle_riding_time™ to me.

Good luck & take care.

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Most are gypsies, and prefer working with animals than dealing with people. Most have personal lives if complete disarray.
    i don't really find this to be true
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    So, what are you going to do in the afternoon, Joe? Don't you Americans know how to do a full days work?
    Well I'm usually up at 4:30 - 5:00 am check and adjust the schedules
    Check the WBF
    Answer emails
    Fill in spreadsheets
    Look at all the online bookings that happened during the evening
    Check all social media and a million other things
    Go check Vans, make sure they are filled with water and all supplies are set for the day.

7:00 the phones start ringing
    Book Book Book talk to new customers, follow up, talk text groomers.
    Set alarms for all vans so when they move I get pinged
    Make coffee, feed the dogs.
    Check the WBF

8:00 am Vans start moving, track and check fuel levels. Monitor activity
    Phones keep ringing, emails, yelp requests, mytime requests, texts. Book Book Book.
    Move appointments, cancellations
    Check the WBF

9:00 Today I will be helping renee do 4 huge Golden Retrievers we do monthly at an estate in Newport Coast.
    Usually I take this time to work for an hour on future business. IT WILL TAKE FIVE HOURS MIN.

10:00 - 1:00
    everything from running to vans to fix things, check on groomers, run errands, banking yadda yadda yadda, grab a bite to eat.

1:00 - 2:30 Exercise, gym or take a bike ride.

3:00 - 5:00 answer phones, book, move appointments, deal with all sorts of craziness
    Check the WBF

5:00 - 7:00 Follow up with groomers, follow up with new customers find out how everything went.
    Check the WBF

7:00 - 8:00 Check vans, check in on groomers, help Renee.
    Check the WBF

8:00 - 10:00 PM Close out for the day, check credit card accounts, fill in spreadsheets check and adjust the schedules
    Make dinner and enjoy time with my wife

10:00 - 11:00 Work on new business ideas and growth potentials and write down next steps.
    Check the WBF

Bed
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 01-10-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Check the WBF
    when will you be checking your blood pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    when will you be checking your blood pressure
    Already took it at 7:23

fullsizeoutput_2511.jpg

Most are gypsies, and prefer working with animals than dealing with people. Most have personal lives if complete disarray.

I'm learning completely new managerial style that requires a whole new set of sensitivity that would never be required in other businesses.

i don't really find this to be true
    Reconsider Mr. Pless. The important factor to remember here is that Joe is dealing with Californians. What he says is more often true for Californians.

i will say that groomers have been a difficult position for me to fill and to train for in my three decades of experience

when you get a good one, you do not let them go!

other than my veterinarian and my manager they are my highest paid employees with the most seniority and nobody gives them any ****

I hear you. We are struggling with a vacancy rate of over 10% despite paying some of the best wages in our field. One of the biggest problems is people giving us one set of available hours on hiring, and then trying to change their availability once they're trained... despite the fact that we tell them several times, up front, verbally AND in writing, that we will let them go if they do this. And it's not like availability is a bar to hiring - we have enough open shifts that we can accommodate almost any schedule, we just want people to be straight with us up front!

It's weird. And problematic.

What are you doing about it?

Maybe in California one should have a simple pre-interview screening matrix, beginning with "please write down your first name:"

If it's Wisteria, Hyacinth, Moonglow, Tranquility, etc., do not proceed.

If it's Maria, Juanita, Valeria, Jorge, etc., set up the interview.

Different demographic here; most of our hires have an "Ola" or an "Olu" somewhere in their name.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    Maybe in California one should have a simple pre-interview screening matrix, beginning with "please write down your first name:"

If it's Wisteria, Hyacinth, Moonglow, Tranquility, etc., do not proceed.

If it's Maria, Juanita, Valeria, Jorge, etc., set up the interview.

What a racist thing to write.

For the record Wisteria, Hyacinth, Moonglow, Tranquility moved up north and now are all working as weed cleaners in Portland and Seattle. Put that in your bong and smoke it.
    A pictures is worth a thousand words but a challenging meme stumps the ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    What a racist thing to write.
    How so?

We go through interview after interview to find someone that can just hold it together long enough to make it through training

Last candidate seemed somewhat normal, young, energetic, strong work ethic. Went out with Renee for a ride along yesterday, was supposed to go out again this morning. I woke up at 5:00 to this email :

When I wrote the business plan for this I used Renee as an example of a groomer that we would hire. I neglected the fact that she is not typical of those in this business. Most are gypsies, and prefer working with animals than dealing with people. Most have personal lives if complete disarray.

To add to the stress and possible high BP one of my other groomers texted me this morning to tell me she feels like she may be coming down with a cold or flu She has a FULL schedule starting Friday through Tuesday. Looks like Renee is on deck for a 7 day work week .

Lastly I got a text from the Doggy Daycare we were asked to become the inhouse Groomer for:

Yea I have to write a business plan, finish my construction drawings and equipment punch list. It's a serious opportunity for us. We get a brick & mortar location, an office, receptionist / booker, a location to park vans and grow.

Now if I don't have an aneurysm in the next week it should be an exciting year.
    Joe -

In a serious thought - What is your start up company offering as an ownership stake to make the difference between a job and a career. Pay and opportunity are only part of this equation.
    A pictures is worth a thousand words but a challenging meme stumps the ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    How so?
    the listing of Hispanic names suggest hiring only Hispanics or Latinos. This suggests that other ethnic peoples do not measure up or can't be had as cheap. Moreover repeating that myth works against the interests of the community.

the listing of Hispanic names suggest hiring only Hispanics or Latinos. This suggests that other ethnic peoples do not measure up or can't be had as cheap. Moreover repeating that myth works against the interests of the community.
    I think you are reading something that isn't there. It sounds to me like the listing of Hispanic names suggests that people with those names may have a better work ethic than people with typical "flower child" names.

And you know, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were true.

Fook me! I resemble that remark
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Joe -

In a serious thought - What is your start up company offering as an ownership stake to make the difference between a job and a career. Pay and opportunity are only part of this equation.
    We pay he highest in the industry, and we pay on time, honestly and transparently ( not normal in this industry ) but that’s not all, we support and continue to train our groomers. We go above and beyond and treat them almost as family. We’ve picked up their kids from daycare and taken them out. We give gifts and help to set them up in new apartments and go with them to buy cars. We pay for trips and give bonuses like amusement park passes for her and her family. I surprise them and stop by with lunch. The current staff we have has been with us one for over 2 years and one for over a year they are committed to our growth and we treat those that choose to put it all in extremely well. With us progressing into a brick and mortar offers for elevated positions will become available.

Renee always says THIS would be the company I would have dreamed of working for.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    I think you are reading something that isn't there. It sounds to me like the listing of Hispanic names suggests that people with those names may have a better work ethic than people with typical "flower child" names.

And you know, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were true.
    This is the same hogwash about southern border immigration which is supports repeating this exact oversimplification so the nation feels compelled to let these immigrants in because they do jobs that citizens and residents won't do. The fact of the matter we have millions unemployed and disconnected. Our communities are ripping themselves apart. We discriminate against older workers so we can bring cheap young immigrants into businesses and empower corporate interest to avoid doing sincere immigration status checks, or need to pay health and welfare benefits. Farm labor is just one example of how we taught our society not to admire farmers and working the land - over the decades in north america we have made it a hispanic job and encouraged wonderful latino farm worker who too are aging out of being able to do the work.

We pay he highest in the industry, and we pay on time, honestly and transparently ( not normal in this industry ) but that’s not all, we support and continue to train our groomers. We go above and beyond and treat them almost as family. We’ve picked up their kids from daycare and taken them out. We give gifts and help to set them up in new apartments and go with them to buy cars. We pay for trips and give bonuses like amusement park passes for her and her family. I surprise them and stop by with lunch. The current staff we have has been with us one for over 2 years and one for over a year they are committed to our growth and we treat those that choose to put it all in extremely well. With us progressing into a brick and mortar offers for elevated positions will become available.

Renee always says THIS would be the company I would have dreamed of working for.
    sounds really great. What are you using to have them buy into the ownership of your company. Most millennial want that kind of job.

sounds really great. What are you using to have them buy into the ownership of your company. Most millennial want that kind of job.
    They have ownership in their OWN company. They are independent contractors they have their own LLC or C corps I provide them leads they rent the vans and I split a % of the proceeds plus enormous tips. They are able to make their own hours and work as hard at making their fortune as they want. What are you talking about ?

This is the same hogwash about southern border immigration...
    Nah. I haven't said anything about borders, immigration, older workers, agriculture, or anything else you're talking about. For that matter, farm labour isn't a "hispanic job" in my country, which is the biggest in North America last time I checked.

What a shame.
    You and Renee spend lots for time developing and building a business and you are being limited by the lack of good people.
    Maybe putting into your plans a few backup groomers who are part time and can fill the gaps when this kind of thing happens.

Quick question how many groomers do you have?
    When one groomer calls in sick how much of your business does it represent?

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    What a shame.
    You and Renee spend lots for time developing and building a business and you are being limited by the lack of good people.
    Maybe putting into your plans a few backup groomers who are part time and can fill the gaps when this kind of thing happens.

Quick question how many groomers do you have?
    When one groomer calls in sick how much of your business does it represent?
    We currently have Three vans and 4 groomers. I’m just putting together the order for #4 for this summer.
    3 groomers work 5 days a week and Renee was working 3. I was hoping to get her to 1 then 0 with hiring 2 more groomers.

One groomer called out sick, so Renee is covering for her tomorrow ( one of her days off ) Anouther groomer is covering for her on Saturday and if she is still not well on Sunday Renee will cover for her. After I help Renee today I’m going to bring her over some homemade chicken soup and check on her.

I have two more applicants I’m trying to schedule interviews with.

After I help Renee today
    i would like to see the youtube video of joe grooming a collie

i would like to see the youtube video of joe grooming a collie
    We could loan him Fred.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

We currently have Three vans and 4 groomers. I’m just putting together the order for #4 for this summer.
    3 groomers work 5 days a week and Renee was working 3. I was hoping to get her to 1 then 0 with hiring 2 more groomers.

One groomer called out sick, so Renee is covering for her tomorrow ( one of her days off ) Anouther groomer is covering for her on Saturday and if she is still not well on Sunday Renee will cover for her. After I help Renee today I’m going to bring her over some homemade chicken soup and check on her.

I have two more applicants I’m trying to schedule interviews with.
    Sounds like you have a good plan.
    Once you get 6 groomers and Renee is down to 1 or 0 days working, you can have her on standby for when someone calls in sick.

Just stick with it and stay healthy.
    Once you get thru your current growing pains, you will have a very good business and should be proud.

You enjoyed the business until you started seeing riches in your future.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    You enjoyed the business until you started seeing riches in your future.
    I still enjoy the business I enjoy growing it and seeing it progress. The people part that is the unknown and is always a problem. The more we grow the more the people problem will persists. I think I can midigate it by screening applicants, training and putting operational standards in place. Always hire slow and fire fast.

A close friend of mine who’s become very successful at a young age asked me recently “ Do you wake up with the same passion” I said yes, I wake up at 5 am and I LOVE the energy and I love bringing my full potential to this. He said you are on the right track as long as you have passion for what you do you will be a success.

They have ownership in their OWN company. They are independent contractors they have their own LLC or C corps I provide them leads they rent the vans and I split a % of the proceeds plus enormous tips. They are able to make their own hours and work as hard at making their fortune as they want. What are you talking about ?
    I'm not sure how things work over there, but here these sham independent contractor arrangements are pretty much the bottom of the barrel as work arrangements go. Zero job security. Zero paid leave. Zero protection of minimum wages or conditions. Zero freedom to operate as a genuine independent business. Zero health care in your system I guess. Zero loyalty and zero engagement. Maybe where you are things are different.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Might look into illegal Mexicans. They have experience with hairless dogs.

with the exception of big operators like national chain pet stores, the standard of the industry in grooming is for groomers to use their own tools (brushes and clippers) and for the facility they partner with to provide tubs, force driers, cage driers, and consumables

groomers and the facility that they work for split the grooming fee and groomers keep all tips

typically for most boarding kennels and pet clinics, grooming under this arrangement is a break even affair and good groomers make a killing

most boarding kennels and vet clinics do have a staff groomer for dogs that simply need a bath and blow, but not a full brush and trim

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I'm not sure how things work over there, but here these sham independent contractor arrangements are pretty much the bottom of the barrel as work arrangements go. Zero job security. Zero paid leave. Zero protection of minimum wages or conditions. Zero freedom to operate as a genuine independent business. Zero health care in your system I guess. Zero loyalty and zero engagement. Maybe where you are things are different.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Our top groomer makes $1,500 - $1,800 clear a week and makes amazing tips. He rebooks all his own clients and is booked out for months. He has an accountant to work out his taxes, insurance and workers comp. and takes off whenever he wants. He former Navy so he has healthcare from the VA - He makes more than we do. He’s been grooming for 20 years and was even a grooming instructor and says we are the absolute greatest company he has ever been involved with. He’s been with us for over 2 years. Tell me anouther place a groomer can clear over $80,000 a year ? He has tremendous loyalty.

I think we treat the people that choose to work with us very well. If he was a hourly employee he would make 1/3 what he is making now and less time off, and less independence.

Oh and Happy New Year
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 01-10-2019 at 05:59 PM.