Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passport question

Default Passport question

Has anyone lost a passport while out of the country? Do you carry a copy of your passport? Or perhaps a scanned copy (or better yet, a good photo) attached to email you can retreive?

In the US, they also have little license sized wallet passports now. Although the little card is only good for land travel to Canada and Mexico, I wonder if that is adequate backup?

Iím curious what other people do.

Thanks

Tom

Default Re: Passport question

I have not lost a passport (yet, knock on wood.)

Knew about a guy who lost his in Afghanistan. Even there a trip to the consulate in Kabul got him a new one. But it took a few days, and it's sure to be a hassle no matter where you are traveling.

(Turns out the guy lost it on purpose. He was being forced to go home for time off, but he didn't want to go.)

In Costa Rica we carried color copies of our passport while driving around. The reason for that is to avoid having to hand over the real passport to the local police, then having to pay a 'fee' to get it back. Having several color copies is a good idea. As you mentioned, I also have good pictures of my passport on my phone and computer. I have not ever heard of that helping anyone, but it can't hurt.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

No problems for OZ folk. EU and associated treaties help.
    Xanthorrea

lthough the little card is only good for land travel to Canada and Mexico, I wonder if that is adequate backup?
    The passport cards are also good for travel by boat ( "sea port entry") to Canada, Mexico, Bahamas and Bermuda. Mine's always in my wallet. Its not a substitute for the passport book, according to the dept of state, but would probably help expedite a lost passport situation.

Brian's copies idea sounds smart.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

My wife and I always separately carry a couple of colored copies (one for each of us) of the ID pages. I carry my passport in a nylon pouch almost exactly the size of the passport, on a neck strap, and under my shirt. I've never, ever come close to losing it.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I think I will photograph our passports TODAY!!

I lost my passport when I was working in PNG. I was at home in Australia at the time. Had to work from home for 8 weeks waiting for a replacement. A friend list hers in Vanuatu. Had to miss a flight and wait for emergency travel papers through the consulate.

No way you are going to travel internationally on a photocopy.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

I've never lost one, but I always take copies of the ID pages. I've heard it makes it simpler to sort things out if you do lose it. Having electronic copies sounds like a good idea.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

When we travel, we usually carry multiple copies of the ID pages shared out in different places. We also make sure to carry passports in a pocket, not in a bag, so they're unlikely to get left somewhere.

When in Paris on vacation, some of the group we were with were robbed at Notre Dame Cathedral and lost their passports. A trip to the embassy and for pictures ruined a day of travel, but they were able to get duplicates quickly to allow them to continue to travel and return home. IIRC, it wasn't cheap, but was relatively easy to do as they were able to provide personal information and they matched stored images from their passports.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Has anyone lost a passport while out of the country? Do you carry a copy of your passport? Or perhaps a scanned copy (or better yet, a good photo) attached to email you can retreive?

In the US, they also have little license sized wallet passports now. Although the little card is only good for land travel to Canada and Mexico, I wonder if that is adequate backup?

I’m curious what other people do.

Thanks

Tom
    I travel a lot.
    So to protect myself for problems I take a photo of all my ID and credit cards.
    Print them out and keep the paper copy in my suitcase in the hotel.
    I also put the photos on my phone and computer.

I also look up the local consulate so I know where they are just in case of any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    So to protect myself for problems I take a photo of all my ID and credit cards.
    Print them out and keep the paper copy in my suitcase in the hotel.
    seems like a recipe for identity theft
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Who would want to steal that identity?
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Who would want to steal that identity?
    Exactly, that is why I have nothing to worry about.

I've never lost my passport. When I travel internationally it's either in my hand, in an relatively inaccessible pocket, or in a hotel safe. I used to carry copies but now I just keep pictures in my phone and webmail.

What are you doing about it?

I have a picture of the information pages on my phone and in an email.

Fortunately, I am legally entitled to more than two passports , so keep them separate when traveling.

Could be interesting delay of explaining, should I be taken aside if flying somewhere via the USA.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

your st kitt's passport is going down in value though
    y'all done sold too many of them. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    your st kitt's passport is going down in value though
    y'all done sold too many of them. . .
    BUT my other passports are not 'St.Kitts & Nevis' ones.

Quite probably, the St Kitts & Nevis passport is going down in value.

Prime Minister Harris disclosed that “as of the 31st of December, 2015, there were 10, 777 primary passports issued under the CBI programme.”
    He reported that
    in 2005, 6 passports were issued;
    in 2006, there were 19 issued;
    2007 saw the issuance of 75,
    while in 2008 there were 202 passports;
    in 2009, there were 292 passports issued;
    in 2010, 664 were issued;
    in 2011, there were 1092;
    1758 passports were issued in 2012;
    2044 in 2013;
    in 2014, there were 2329;
    and 2015, 2296.

Prime Minister Harris said that although obtaining records of the issuance of passport before 2005 had proven to be “an onerous task”, the introduction of the Machine Readable Passport Management System in June of 2006 allowed for the government to gain access to such records through collaboration between the Ministry of National Security and the company responsible for the supply of passports and the development, maintenance and support for the system.
    http://timescaribbeanonline.com/pm-harris-reveals-number-of-passports-sold-under-the-st-kitts-nevis-cbi-programme-over-the-last-decade/
    In 2016 and to date I don't have figures but consider that they are down considerably since in
    November 22, 2014 – As of 12:00 p.m. EST today, Canada implemented the visa requirement on St. Kitts and Nevis.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Fortunately, I am legally entitled to more than two passports...
    I'm legally entitled to two, myself, but I wouldn't be caught dead traveling on a US passport. I don't need one, don't want one, and have lots of good reasons not to get one.

This is one reason I won't travel to the USA anymore; they have become very sticky about people who were born there entering the country on another country's passport unless they have proof of loss of citizenship. And since we disagree on whether I have relinquished mine, I don't have that proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    I'm legally entitled to two, myself, but I wouldn't be caught dead traveling on a US passport. I don't need one, don't want one, and have lots of good reasons not to get one.

This is one reason I won't travel to the USA anymore; they have become very sticky about people who were born there entering the country on another country's passport unless they have proof of loss of citizenship. And since we disagree on whether I have relinquished mine, I don't have that proof.
    Fortunately, I don't have your problem as I don't have a US passport.

I hope you can get the matter resolved.
    Last edited by Rum_Pirate; 01-11-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Fortunately, I don't have your problem as I don't have a US passport.
    I hope you can't the matter resolved.
    I could, if I wanted to spend ten or twenty thousand dollars (est.), but I'd rather just avoid the USA.

That's sad. When I've traveled to Canada (US passport) the immigration officers have often said "Welcome home".
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Yeah, it's a kind of a bummer. Among other things, I'd love to get down to your neck of the woods again. And there's a concert series in Boston next spring that I'm gutted to miss. But it's not to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    ... I carry my passport in a nylon pouch almost exactly the size of the passport, on a neck strap, and under my shirt. I've never, ever come close to losing it.
    I like that idea. I currently carry mine in my backpack or pocket. But the risk of it slipping out unnoticed is significant.
    Will

My wife and I always carry photocopies. We also write down the serial numbers (with a couple of numbers transposed) on our phones and IPad. We leave copies of the passport info with relatives at home just in case everything goes haywire.

That stinks.

Are there issues if you are laying over in the USA on the way to another country or flying over the US?
    Will

come on, what's the worst that could happen?

I could, if I wanted to spend ten or twenty thousand dollars (est.), but I'd rather just avoid the USA.
    That makes for one heck of an expensive trip to Disney World.

Extraordinary Rendition to a dark, dank, ****hole.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post
    That stinks.
    Yes, yes it does. Due to a citizenship I never wanted and thought I had given up for good in the 1970s, I basically can't visit friends and family in the USA.

It doesn't happen with every customs or immigration person; some of them are quite reasonable. But some seem to think that not wanting to claim American citizenship when you are eligible is a gross insult to the USA, and they seem to take it very personally. It's peculiar, and a psychologist would probably have a field day, but it just makes travel to the States too risky.

Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post
    Are there issues if you are laying over in the USA on the way to another country or flying over the US?
    Any travel where I have to clear customs and immigration is a problem. I would assume that layovers would be a problem unless there's an international transit lounge that doesn't require customs etc., and my understanding is that those have largely been eliminated. Flyovers haven't been a problem yet, which means I can still go to Mexico, but there has been talk of making passengers flying over the USA clear US customs. That, obviously, would be a problem as well.

I could be detained indefinitely, subjected to all kinds of searches, indignities, and confiscations, and then denied entry. I'm not willing to risk that after paying for flights, accommodation, etc.

I could be detained indefinitely, subjected to all kinds of searches, indignities, and confiscations, and then denied entry. I'm not willing to risk that after paying for flights, accommodation, etc.
    Ah yes, that land of the free, in this instance.

Ah yes, that land of the free...
    Only if you do and say the right things. I mean, you have to convince the Schutz-- er, CBP that you're a proper American.

Fortunately for Mr Cruz, renouncing Canadian citizenship is inexpensive and easy: mail in the form and supporting documents, along with a hundred bucks.

If the US procedure was anywhere near as inexpensive and easy, I'd have done it many years ago.

Fortunately for Mr Cruz, renouncing Canadian citizenship is inexpensive and easy: mail in the form and supporting documents, along with a hundred bucks.

If the US procedure was anywhere near as inexpensive and easy, I'd have done it many years ago.
    I think the issue is because you are considered a US citizen you were required to files US tax returns all these years.
    So the issue is not the cost to renounce your US citizenship it is the cost to pay you back taxes.

US citizens are required to pay taxes even if they live in another country.