Thread: Apple Watch saving lives

Default Apple Watch saving lives

I’ve been seeing reports everyday how this new little device is saving life’s

here is the latest:

https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/09/apple...cg-a-fib-user/

The Apple Watch Series 4’s ECG function has only been available for a month, but it’s already proving to be life-saving for some. WMUR reports today that a Nashua, New Hampshire man discovered he had atrial fibrillation with his Apple Watch, and rushed to the emergency room.

Barry Maden said he originally bought the Apple Watch to “keep a closer eye on his health after suffering a brain injury.” His wife concurred with this reasoning, citing the device’s Fall Detection feature:
    “He originally got it because they have a new fall risk app where, if he were to fall and I’m not nearby, the fall sensor will sense that he fell and call 911,” said his wife, Tara Maden.
    When he experienced what he originally thought was “anxiety around traveling for the holidays,” Madden’s Apple Watch Series 4 alerted him that his heart appeared to be in A-fib.
    It’s not clear if Maden initially used the ECG and found out his heart was in A-fib, or if the Apple Watch sent him an irregular heartbeat notification. Either way, it was enough for Madden to go to double-check the result with the ECG app itself and head to the emergency room.
    At the hospital, doctors performed another ECG with more advanced equipment to verify the Apple Watch’s findings. From there, Maden was sedated and his “heart was essentially stopped and restarted by doctors.”
    “And it said, ‘It looks like your heart is in A-fib. You should contact your doctor,” Maden said.
    With the watch showing Maden what his actual heartbeat looked like, he decided to go to a hospital. “When I got to the ER, they did an actual EKG on a cart — the real deal,” he said.
    Sure enough, medical professionals told Maden that he was, in fact, in A-fib. “It would’ve probably taken me longer had I not had something actually telling me that something’s not right,” he said.
    This is only the latest story showcasing the health functionality of the Apple Watch. Back in December, another Apple Watch user said they discover their heart was in A-fib, with a doctor remarking that the Apple Watch test “probably saved” them.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: Apple Watch saving lives

I just bought one for My wife for this very reason, plus a BP cuff which she’s using daily.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    I just bought one for My wife for this very reason, plus a BP cuff which she’s using daily.
    Yup it has fall detection as well. I got a BP cuff too.

I have the Nokia Bluetooth one and I’m using it every morning. It’s cool because I can chart it and email the results to my Dr.

Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 01-09-2019 at 09:47 PM.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Very clever. My wife's aunt had a fall at home a while back. She's close to 80 and diabetic. Broke her hip. 6 days before she was found. She's well now. But it's amazing she lived.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phil Y; 01-09-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Another use for your Apple watch.

https://www.cnet.com/news/drug-users...0EmMc49wNYP2wQ
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I have the Nokia Bluetooth one and I’m using it every morning. It’s cool because I can chart it and email the results to my Dr.
    There are an awful lot of bad reviews for that thing, Joe. Normally, even terrific products will invariably draw a few bad reviews.... but 28% 2 star or lower, indicates an unreliable product.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

The fall detection interests me. One of my biggest fears is being out in the park alone with Katey and taking a spill that causes a serious injury. I currently have a necklace that has a charm on it that can connect to my phone to call 911 if I squeeze it.

On the funny side, all those fitness trackers, fitbits, apple watches, etc. track horse steps as people steps. Nothing like hitting 20,000 steps in one day, lol.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.